Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 500 Fifth Avenue - by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon

Default 500 Fifth Avenue - by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon

This 58 story, 625 foot tall buff brick tower was built by the same architects whom built the Empire State Building, of the same year, 1931, on an equally prominent site on the northwest corner of 42nd street.

Despite of its beautiful style and looks, it goes as an anonymous building within the cities skyline. This is in part due to its scale. The plot of 5oo Fifth is less than a quarter the size of the Empire State, so the setbacks have less impact. The lack of symbolic decoration is not a main reason for its lack of public recognition. The towers flat crown, which once featured red neon (500), is now a normal tower. Its problem is it lacks a spire such as the Empire State, and the thin tower does not stand out for many people.
    In this building, the setbacks seem minimal, thus showing emphasis on the slab of the sheer square topped tower. Shallow setbacks on the corner street fronts, lead to a flush wall on the uptown side that runs the entire length of the building. Its 4 story limestone base is minimally decorated with colored metal spandrels. The cornices of the buildings shallow setbacks are accented with tan panels of abstract patterned terra-cotta, and a centeral bay of dark stone spandrels that run up the buildings center of Fifth Avenue and 42nd street fronts.

Please if you can post pictures and your replies of this great looking tower.
    Thanks, Rich Battista

Default 500 Fifth Avenue

500 Fifth Avenue

Height to roof: 213 metres
    Date built: 1930
    Use: Office
    Architect: Shreve, Lamb & Harmon
    Developer: Walter J. Salmon

Here is an old postcard of 500 Fifth Avenue building

And here you can see the corner of 500 Fifth Avenue. The image is from the thread about the proposed 505 Fifth Avenue office tower.

Default 500 Fifth Avenue

Thanks a lot Edward on sending in these great pictures
    Thanks, Rich

Default 500 Fifth Avenue

The recent pictures of 500 Fifth Avenue

Default 500 Fifth Avenue

It's wonderful.
    It should have a twin across 5th Ave.

Why is the red neon gone ?

Default 500 Fifth Avenue

It dissapeared a long time ago, they did away with it when WW11 started. During this period all buildings were dark at night, and all people were demanded to put up dark shades to let no light show through their windows so if anytype of planes were looking to attack NYC they couldnt find the buildings at night. I believe the big red numerals "500" in red neon lighting are still functioning, but i guess the building just seemed small compared to the Empire State and the Chrysler. They probably did away with lighting it after the war because people must have figured no one would pay attention to the building, but to the two other beauties on 42nd street and the Empire State Building. The two beauties i am talking about are the Chrysler and Chanin buildings. That was a very good question.

500 5th is an art deco gem. Love it! I've always considered this a practice run at the Empire State Building. Or, a junior-sized version which could be imagined to say, "When I grow up I want to be the Empire State Building."

This beautiful building is on a prime, visible location. Imagine how the property's value might be enhanced by restoration of the neon, and installation of set-back lighting, a la its big brother down the street.

Banned Member

That's a beautiful shot!

Default 500 Fifth Avenue is real

My name is Vivian and I´m 53 years old
    I´m Brazilian and I live in Brazil
    My father has lived in NY City during all his life till 1983 when he passed away.
    His office was at 500 Fifth Avenue
    When I was 15 years old my father sent me a ticket and said: Now you´re going to know the United States.
    The first place he took me when I arrived in the USA was the building of his office: 500 Fifth Avenue,
    My father was very proud of his office and he just lOVED the building.
    I visited New York three more times and I spent long time at my father´s office.
    After he died I didn´t return to the USA;
    Sometimes I tried to picture in my mind the building and the image that came to me was of Empire State Building. And I thought to myself: Am I crazy? Why I want to remember the building of my father´s office and I keep on remembering Empire States?
    Now I understand. The same architect built both buildings !
    I just knew it seeing this site.
    I was lonely tonight and I missed so much the 500 Fifth Avenue Building that I looked for it at Googles.
    And I found it ! And I understood why I was mixing it with Empire States Building.
    And I was also happy to find out that this building is important to many other people And I was also happy to see it the screen and know it was not a dream... I really was there one day in the past...
    Vivian
    Last edited by v_yazigi; February 22nd, 2006 at 07:20 AM.

Default New York ...it was not a dream

My name is Vivian and I´m 53 years old
    I´m Brazilian and I live in Brazil
    My father has lived in NY City during all his life till 1983 when he passed away.
    His office was at 500 Fifth Avenue
    When I was 15 years old my father sent me a ticket and said: Now you´re going to know the United States.
    The first place he took me when I arrived in the USA was the building of his office: 500 Fifth Avenue,
    My father was very proud of his office and he just lOVED the building and the city.
    I visited New York three more times and I spent long time at my father´s office.
    After he died I didn´t return to the USA;
    Sometimes I tried to picture in my mind the building of his office and the image that came to me was of the Empire State Building. And I thought to myself : Why The Empire State Building come to my mind when I want to remember the 500 Hundred Fifth Avenue building?
    Now I understand. The same architect built both buildings ! They are similar !
    After all those years they look so similar to me !
    When I found out this site I read the same architect built both buildings.
    It was a great pleasure to see the picture of the building !
    I miss New York !
    I´m happy to know that this building means a lot to other people, too
    . It´s good to know it was not a dream... I really was there one day in the past...
    Vivian
    Last edited by v_yazigi; February 22nd, 2006 at 07:16 AM.

here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With Local Live Windows

Oi Vivian!
    Todo Bem?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast