Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 500 Fifth Avenue - by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon

Not that Boston needs any more visual evidence of the prevalence of red brick, but I've always found this building (in East Cambridge) interesting, almost jarring, for I've never seen columns made of this material, especially on such a grand scale. Compared to the same classical facade done in marble or limestone, this one has a real weight and hulkiness to it in person. I believe it's a county court building or something...

Smile

I am curious to know why the first post says the building is 58 stories, but Edward's post that has the link to the building says the building is 60 stories. Finding a good picture where I can count the floors is kind of hard. I'm only curious because I may land myself an internship on the 57th floor of this building, and I'd kind of like to see where it is on here. Not very important, but just out of curiousity. Does anyone have pictures of inside this building? Is this a building that just anyone can walk in to?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ArchiveNYC
    I am curious to know why the first post says the building is 58 stories, but Edward's post that has the link to the building says the building is 60 stories. Finding a good picture where I can count the floors is kind of hard. I'm only curious because I may land myself an internship on the 57th floor of this building, and I'd kind of like to see where it is on here. Not very important, but just out of curiousity. Does anyone have pictures of inside this building? Is this a building that just anyone can walk in to?
    ok, I just counted and marked every 10 windows a different color to make it easier to see. There are 57 floors, so why does Edward's link in his post say 60 stories? Does that include the gray area at the top with no windows? And wow... if I do get this internship... I'll be working on the top floor then!!! w00t! Since it's the 5th tallest building in Manhattan, I'll make sure to take some awesome photos for everyone if I do get this job.

Funny, but I remember being impressed by that buildign the first time I visited NYC in 1979. I recall thinking, "this building, in most other cities, would be a major LANDMARK" and yet you could not find it on any tourist guide at all...

Whatta town!

Spotting this thread today reminded me of the day many years ago when I emerged at lunchtime from my office building at 52nd and Madison and saw nearly everyone staring and pointing up at the top of 500 Fifth, which was spectacularly ablaze. The last time that I recalled that event before today was, of course, 9/11. Google found this Times report (unfortunately without the photos that originally accompanied it):

SKYSCRAPER FIRE SHOWERS MIDTOWN AREA WITH DEBRIS

By MATTHEW L. WALD (NYT) 387 words
    Published: November 7, 1984

An air-conditioning tower exploded and burned atop a midtown skyscraper yesterday afternoon, showering the intersection of Fifth Avenue and 42d Street with debris that injured two pedestrians slightly and forced the closing of both roadways.

Officials said the fire caused little damage to the 58-story building, 500 Fifth Avenue, which is at the northwest corner of the intersection.

The blaze was touched off by workmen cutting or welding on the roof of the building, according to Deputy Fire Chief Joseph Hovsepian. The fire was ''spectacular on the outside,'' he said, with flames and smoke billowing as the wood and tar paper of the boxlike tower burned and fell to the street during the lunch hour.

Through the afternoon and early evening fire officials kept predicting, then postponing, when it would be safe to reopen the streets, from which buses were rerouted.

According to Samuel I. Schwartz, the city's deputy transportation commissioner, the effect on midtown of the streets being closed was reduced because traffic volume was lighter on Election Day. ''We've been able to contain it,'' he said. ''Another day, in a similar situation, we could have had gridlock.''

Chief Hovsepian said: ''The fire wasn't serious in itself. Our biggest problem was they self-evacuated the building, and it wasn't necessary to vacate more than the top two floors.'' The flood of office workers into the lobby made it difficult for firefighters to gain control of the elevators, he said.
    ''I need a new pair of knees.'' said Milton Ruiz, an accountant, who said he had walked from his office on the 39th floor.

Outside the building, police officers on horseback tried to clear the streets while other officers drove squad cars onto the sidewalks to keep pedestrians away from the falling debris, which fluttered hundreds of feet in the breeze.

The police tried to clear Fifth Avenue from 41st to 43d Street and 42d Street from Vanderbilt Avenue to the middle of the block west of Fifth Avenue. But people continued to emerge from stores and offices, huddling under awnings. Two people were taken to Bellevue Hospital with minor injuries, according to a hospital official. A 14-year-old, Jason Millard, standing at 43d Street and Fifth Avenue, was selling debris for $2 ''if a tourist wants it.''

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

I was directed to this thread when asking about a photo that I took in my recent trip to NYC. I thought y'all might like to see my photo of this building:

Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zyada/213644411/

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Thumbs up

Excellent!

^ Very, very nice photo.

Two proud and resolute objects together - very fitting.

Jason Millard, standing at 43d Street and Fifth Avenue, was selling debris for $2 ''if a tourist wants it.''

If you can't afford Manhattan real estate, this is one way to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchiveNYC View Post
    ... I'll be working on the top floor then!!! w00t! Since it's the 5th tallest building in Manhattan,
    34th apparently http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/

Banned Member

This building deserves a classic spire or crown.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    This building deserves a classic spire or crown.
    Indeed. And, as somebody noted earlier in this thread, setback lighting. Such a beautiful building. So well proportioned. Doesn't anybody know if it is landmarked?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast