Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 505 Fifth Avenue - by Kohn Pedersen Fox

You have retained your title as Crapmeister. The only thing good about 2 Gold is that from certain aspects, it blocks 60 Wall.

Ablarc: I understand what you are saying. I just wanted it to be clear that I am not advocating any particular style for a building, or limiting design freedom.

GREAT photo. I just saw this building for the first time in person this weekend and, besides almost walking by it without noticing, I found it to be really dull. It looked so lightweight and dynamic in the renderings, but the dark green glass seemed to be sucking in all light and reflecting none back, leaving it looking like something of an architectural black hole in a spot where it certainly should shine (or at least scream some kind of nonsense). And I saw this on The Day The Sun Came Back, making things even more disappointing. Perhaps I was at the wrong angle with the wrong lighting, but it seems it'll only look good under silvery-grey skies as seen in posts 99 or 102. Or at nighttime, as Kris' photo shows. Ohhhh well....it's better than what was there before, but.

Here's what I was looking at (56k'ers, don't bother)

"....or at least scream some kind of nonsense".

No. This is 5th avenue ....we want discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    No. This is 5th avenue ....we want discretion.
    Right. I made that comment more for contrast purposes than anything, and I'm definitely not a fan of brash buildings (the Blue condo specifically pops to mind) in any location. But I'm just disappointed with what we now have, although discreet this building certainly pulls off. Whatever, in two years we won't even notice it with the hulk going up at the other end of Bryant Park.

It's better than what was there before (just about anything would have been better) but it's too bad that there's not a whole-block building on that corner, given its prominence.

You could just as easily be grateful that there's no whole-block building. It's good that Fifth Avenue's scale remains somewhat daintier than it would be if such blockbusters prevailed.

Generally, I'm not against height but I am against sprawling footprints. These promote coarseness of scale and a certain accompanying tedium; you have to walk too far before things change.

A crappy whole-block building is disappointing (like the new CIBC building at the corner of Madison and 42nd---while an improvement on what was there before, it totally recapitulates the mediocrity of the other buildings in the Madison 40s). But half-block buildings always come with problems---like where 505 meets the building to the north it just looks ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    You could just as easily be grateful that there's no whole-block building. It's good that Fifth Avenue's scale remains somewhat daintier than it would be if such blockbusters prevailed.

Generally, I'm not against height but I am against sprawling footprints. These promote coarseness of scale and a certain accompanying tedium; you have to walk too far before things change.

I disagree. It's beautiful.

Small foot-print buildings of noble materials in varied classical styles, set among slim skyscrapers was the 5th avenue formula. Small boutiques, jewell-like office buildings, small churches .... even Rockefeller Center attempted to preseve the formula.

Knocking them down for big foot-print block-long buildings would make 5th a different place. Remember "5th Avenue" is almost a brand name.... and the brand should be protected and nurtured.

About the exposed wall next to 505: it's totally chic. The sophisticed choice would be to let it alone. Ablarc suggested ivy...probably in jest ...but it would be fab.

I'd chose wisteria though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio
    Ablarc suggested ivy...probably in jest ...
    I never jest.

They tried to make ivy grow on a wall of the building that went up south of the Fisk Building -- across 8th Ave. from the Hearst Tower (the block between 56th / 57th and 8th / B'way).

There is a small plaza on the SW corner of that block and an exposed wall at the north end. It gets direct sun, so maybe that just baked the the ivy -- or all the cigarette butts killed it.

Either way the wall is now a bare pinkish stucco -- ecch.

That exposed brick wall sure needs covering.

Mirror spandrel glass?

Stucco? A vertical sign or billboard? Or vines? It does face south.

Even metal panels.

Something.

What a prominent corner on an elegant avenue; should this be tolerated here?

Oh my. I have to agree. Seen in the above photos itīs not a nice uniform expanse of old brick....as was my impression.

Limestone?

I assume the expanse of yellow above the first set-back is to be finished out with something, eh?

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast