Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Queens West: Luxury on the Waterfront

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ I just hope the NIMBYs don't do a 'Con Ed site'-type of fight with this project but I have a feeling they will.

What am I thinking? Of course they will.

Aerial View facing Northeast:

View along Center Boulevard:

View of 55th Avenue:

View from East River:

nycedc.com

uh, antinimby, i live half a mile away in LIC. i want a $500 million "community benefits package" and 20,000 guaranteed jobs over 2 years, and my councilman backs me.

otherwise, we'll just sit on the abandoned warehouses and old power plants that are here now for another 50 years. take that!

Not funny because its true in many cases.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

AN - there isn't anything close to the tudor city et al resident armada in this area. you can probably break this down into 2 groups:

1) the long time pre late 90s onward development residential community that fights everything (admitedly rightfully so in several instances) and gets rolled over on any of their significant resistance points (i'm being a realist, not trying to insult); and

2) the recent late 90s onward crowd that doesn't want to lose their views, thinks affordable housing will hurt the value of their overpriced condos, or generally are afraid of "poor" people.

at the end of the day i don't expect to see the direction of this development receive much influence from community concerns. the project is more likely to be subject to more general factors - fiscal issues, political bickering, etc - that affect all govt interest city projects of this nature and scale.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

You don't need many residents living nearby (eventhough there are), you just need a community board to chime in.

Every part of this city, no matter if there are people living in them or not is part of some community board and you know what position they usually take in these matters.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

sure. my point was that over the past 10-15 yrs, the community board in hunters point, while active, hasn't succeeded in blocking or significantly impacting the large scale waterfront developments.

just walk around the area west of vernon and its not hard to tell who got their way.

Plans For Queens West Megadevelopment Move Forward

by Gabby Warshawer | August 18, 2008

NYCEDC
    The city's draft site plan for the project

Last Wednesday the city held public hearings on three huge land-use plans, but only two of those were widely reported upon: the rezoning of the Lower East Side and the redevelopment of Willets Point. The third hearing concerned Hunters Point South (formerly known as "Queens West") and the development there of 5,000 units of housing, 60 percent of which, according to WNYC, would be set aside for residents who earn between $55,000 and $158,000 a year.

The massive project is on the 24-acre Long Island City land where the Olympic Village would have been built if New York won its bid for the 2012 Olympics. When plans for Hunters Point South were first announced a couple years ago, the city said all of the housing would be set aside for middle-income earners, but it has since changed its vision for the site to allow for the construction of market-rate units.

Meanwhile, a deal that would have given the Real Estate Board of New York (REBNY) a large measure of control over the development remains largely theoretical, according to REBNY president Steven Spinola.

"We're advising the city on the site as they bring it through ULURP," says Spinola. "We don't know how active a role they want us to play in the development, but right now we only have an advisory role, and it may continue to be just advisory. The city is talking amongst themselves about how to bring in the construction of the first phase."

The City Planning Commission is expected to vote on the proposal next month, according to a Planning spokesperson, and after that it would head to the City Council for approval.

http://www.observer.com/2008/real-es...t-move-forward

© 2008 Observer Media Group,

^ What a bunch of perfectly ugly buildings.

Pretentious and pointless: the very definition of aesthetic illiteracy.

Every gesture here is meaningless.

Doesn't BPC look better and better compared to the rest of these major development projects?

And London looks like Heaven.

Come on this section of Queens has always been a disgusting shit hole. These projects are wonderful, best thing to have happened over there.

As someone who has come as close to living there as signing a lease, I can see the appeal to the waterfront. Additionally, we're talking about a set of buildings that expanded the street grid, separated park space from the buildings in a really solid way, and has take the place of a variety of derelict factories. I'll sit and try to give a decent write up about all the ways that this area is great. It may not be architecturally spectacular or unique, but it is really solid infill.

Also, glass is on the first few floors of the next tower and foundations are nearly in for the next one after. I was driving across the 59th st bridge, though, so I couldn't take photos.

Balconyville

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast