Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Queens West: Luxury on the Waterfront

Default Luxury on the Waterfront

Alright! This is a super for Queens!!! I can't wait to see this development in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Wieland
    Rockrose plans multifaceted towers, one up to 390 feet tall (about 40 stories), equal in height to the nearby Citylights tower.
    Is this a change? I thought that the only other building of that size was going to rise at the southern end of Queens West. Either way, this is great news!

Forum Veteran

7 apt. towers to pop up

Plan no longer bottled up, & soda sign is saved

By DONALD BERTRAND
    www.nyDAILYNEWS.com STAFF WRITER

Soft drink sign, an unofficial landmark on the Queens side of the East River, will be dismantled but later restored as developer spends $1 billion converting former bottling plant into site of 3,200 Queens West apartments.

The developer of the northernmost portion of the Queens West site in Hunters Point has announced plans to start building the first of seven towers on the 21-acre site next August.
    The $1 billion project, planned for property previously owned by Pepsi-Cola, is noted for the massive Pepsi-Cola sign that faces the East River and has become an unofficial landmark.

That sign will come down during construction but it will be restored under an agreement by the three parties involved in negotiations that took years to complete.

"This is an enormous project, extremely complicated - three parties were involved: Pepsi, [developer] Rockrose and the [state] government," said Jon McMillan, director of planning at Rockrose Development.

"We had to figure out how to do it without the government spending any money, because they did not have any," McMillan said.

He explained that Rockrose had to acquire the property from Pepsi, but Queens West had to end up with the ownership title.

McMillan said the developer then had to transfer title to Queens West and come up with the funding mechanism to pay for all the infrastructure, the park and the bulkhead repairs.

The deal came together Sept. 19, McMillan said.

"It is further evidence that even in a less-than-stellar real estate market, Queens West continues to be a hot property," said Charles Gargano, chairman of the Empire State Development Corp.

In February 2001, Queens West announced that Rockrose was selected as the developer of the site, which is north of 47th Road on the waterfront.

The project calls for 3,200 apartments in seven towers.

At that time, McMillan called the selection process - which took about a year - "one of the most arduous selection processes I've ever been involved in."

Across river from UN

Queens West is a $2.3 billion residential and commercial development project covering 74 acres at Hunters Point in Queens, directly across the East River from the UN complex.

The first Queens West building - a tower, called City Lights, with 522 co-op apartments - was opened in 1997; a second tower, the Avalon Riverview luxury rental tower, was opened last year.

Two more portions of Queens West are awaiting development, said Alex Dudley, a spokesman for the Empire State Development Corp.

A residential area at the southern tip of the property has been earmarked for an Olympic village, in case the city is awarded the 2012 Summer Olympic Games, and there is a commercial core just south of the Avalon Riverview I apartments.

Originally published on September 29, 2003

Its been a couple of years since the surrounding infastructure has been in place, and now finally demolition is underway and right up to the sign. The Park at Queens West has been extended too, I welcome the greenery! This will become my favorite part of Queens West, unfortunately for now the park is only open to the geese. This area extending to and including the crab-house will have alot of character.

Behind the Pepsi sign - the view of Manhattan from there is spectacular.

Only the building where the pepsi sign had stood, lingers:

Roads are in place and a new park to the south has opened. It is my belief that excavations have begun on the first apartment tower. The view:

The sign has been moved south to its pernament location:

A worker installs the "L" in Pepsi Cola. By the end of the day the sign was in place:

Forum Veteran

I don't think there's a view that can match that one anywhere else in the city...

2/28

Forum Veteran

That CityLights building is really something. It took a little while before I really started to appreciate it, but now I really enjoy it.

Forum Veteran

I like the lit roof the best. I just want this to really start moving already. It's been over a decade for Christ's sake.

I just keep picturing taking the Circle Line. The new West Side, from BPC to Trump Place, then Jersey City, then the new WTC, then the new Downtown BK and Ratner-Land, then (hopefully) the new East Side a la BPC, then the new Williamsburg/Greenpoint Waterfront, then the Con Ed site, then Queens West.

What an f'in ride that will be some day.

http://www.newyorker.com/talk/conten...9ta_talk_eskin
    ON THE ROOF
    PEPSI DEGENERATION
    by Blake Eskin
    Issue of 2004-03-29
    Posted 2004-03-22

When Pepsi-Cola erected its big red neon sign in Long Island City, along the Queens side of the East River, in 1936, ships would steam up to the plant below it and unload sacks of sugar from Havana. Soda hasn’t been bottled there for five years now, and the plant is being torn down this month to make way for a high-rise apartment complex, so the sign—unofficial landmark and longtime beacon to local residents, film location scouts, and drunken taxicab passengers on the F.D.R. Drive—has to move. Over the past few weeks, it has migrated, letter by letter, from the plant’s roof to a site on the ground, three hundred feet to the south.

Each morning, as a group of riggers dismantled the logo, Vera Lutter was watching. Lutter is a forty-four-year-old artist who moved to the city from Munich eleven years ago. “They work very, very fast, much faster than I thought,” she said the other day. “Since Monday, they took the bottle, the P, E, P, S, the I—and the hyphen. And today they set their hands on the C in ‘cola.’”

Lutter was observing the proceedings from inside a twenty-foot-long wood-frame shack that she built on the factory’s roof. She calls it a camera obscura, and it’s modelled on the optical devices used by Renaissance artists as a drawing tool; it’s basically a giant pinhole camera. Sunlight streams through a two-millimetre opening on one side and projects an upside-down, reversed image of the Pepsi sign onto the opposite wall, where each morning Lutter drapes three big sheets of photosensitive paper. The light burns the image into the paper, which Lutter then takes down and develops and assembles into a single fifteen-by-eight-foot photographic print at her studio, in Manhattan. The prints make up a series that she calls “The Deconstruction of Pepsi-Cola.”

She takes only one picture a day, because each print needs up to three hours’ exposure. The workmen don’t stand still long enough to register as fixed images, but the camera captures ghostly traces of their labors. “With the Pepsi bottle, I was able to get four different shades of gray as they moved it away,” she said over the low-frequency hum of a portable generator, which powers a space heater and a red safelight.

Lutter had already rolled up her daily exposure, but when she switched off the safelight what was left of the sign appeared as a projection on the back wall. As the eyes adjusted, other details emerged: the river; the United Nations; the Chrysler Building, its needle pointing at the ‘O’ in “cola.” “Isn’t it exciting?” she said. “When I first saw an image projected like this, I just thought I was seeing God.”

That occurred in 1993, in a twenty-seventh-floor loft in the garment district, when she turned the place into a camera obscura to record the odd, pleasing shapes on the neighboring rooftops. “I had no intention of doing this more than once,” she said. “But I’ve done very few other things since.”

The Pepsi sign wasn’t visible from Lutter’s loft, and a couple of years passed before she noticed it, riding home one night from a party in Williamsburg in the back of a pickup truck. After lobbying Pepsi for two years to gain access to the roof, Lutter built her camera obscura there in July, 1998. During that summer, she produced her first prints of the sign.

When the new apartment complex is finished, the sign will move again, to a permanent, elevated spot along the waterfront. Though the sign has been good for Lutter’s career—the Whitney Museum and the Dia Center for the Arts have exhibited her Pepsi-Cola prints—she has no plans to photograph it again. Reflecting on the more than five years that she has spent on the site, she noted that the Queensboro Bridge is just a few blocks away, and recalled a passage from “The Great Gatsby”: “The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world.”

The Rockrose Development Corporation has acquired the land along the East River in Hunters Point, Queens, where Pepsi-Cola was once bottled, which is still heralded by a 120-foot-long ruby-red sign. Rockrose plans to build 3,200 apartments in seven crisply colorful towers on the 21-acre property. March 2002.

Pepsi moved its bottling operations out of Hunters Point in 1999. But it maintains the sign on its own 60-by-200-foot plot, roughly where the sign now stands. The sign is to be dismantled and moved 300 feet south. In 2005, it would be re-erected in its permanent setting. February 2004.

How tall are the buildings going to be? And also I just returned from NYC and I was wondering what is that ONE really tall buidling in queens? It really stands out from the ESB observatory.

Forum Veteran

The tallest residential tower will be around 390-420 feet high.

The tall building you're asking about is the Citicorp Long Island City building. It's essentially overflow space and a backup office, and is the tallest building on Long Island. Around 660 feet, 50 stories.

Did you enjoy your trip? Details!

Yes, we loved our trip, this is def. where I will be attending college, and living! :-D!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast