Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Queens West: Luxury on the Waterfront

The Dude Abides

Isn't New York Yankee the guy from Tennessee who's starting school at Pace next year?

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    Isn't New York Yankee the guy from Tennessee who's starting school at Pace next year?
    Correct.

The Dude Abides

Okay...so how does that make him a senior citizen?

The Dude Abides

Nevermind, I get it. I misread your post thinking that you described New York Yankee as a senior citizen when you were simply saying that he likes New York, as do senior citizens. Just another example of how it's difficult to direct your emphasis in certain statements through typing.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    Nevermind, I get it. I misread your post thinking that you described New York Yankee as a senior citizen when you were simply saying that he likes New York, as do senior citizens. Just another example of how it's difficult to direct your emphasis in certain statements through typing.
    I can understand that, I fixed my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    Yeah I found that when I say things sarcasticly no one seems to know. Are there no senior citizen homes already in the city?
    No, there's a few senior homes in each borough.

Of course there is.What we need to know though is how many of their residents attend college.

Quote Originally Posted by Law & Order
    I am a 15 year old senior citizen
    Oxymoron.

WELL, glad to come in and read about myself. Anyways,Stern you are correct sir! I was saying its nice that senior citizens can stay in the city and not have to go to say, Long Island.

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkYankee
    WELL, glad to come in and read about myself. Anyways,Stern you are correct sir! I was saying its nice that senior citizens can stay in the city and not have to go to say, Long Island.
    I think out of all the Senior citizen homes in NYC this is the nicest. Of course being young I want to feed off the energy of the city itself, but if I was a senior citizen I would choose this home in a heartbeat. The amenities are modern, the area is very quiet and middle class, the area has very good restaurants, is a 15 minute subway ride from the theatre district, and has a beautiful waterfront park a stroll away with perhaps the best view in the world.

Banned Member

I'd rather be at "The Village at 46th & 10th" or Senior Living Option's 1 West End Ave.

I'm relatively young and making senior housing choices (are my priorities wrong? do I need a twink?)

September 8, 2005

Largest phase of new Queens West park started

Government officials and developers broke ground Thursday afternoon on the second phase of Gantry Plaza State Park on the edge of Long Island City overlooking the East River. The park is an integral part of the 74-acre Queens West development directly across the river from the United Nations, according to the Empire State Development Corporation. When completed, Queens West will have about 23 acres of public park amid its 20 buildings and about 10,000 apartment units. The second phase started Thursday will include 12 acres of parkland, a playing field and a 1.25-mile waterfront esplanade.

Copyright © 2003-2005 The Real Deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denied Olympic gold, developers ready to grab brass ring
    Study likely to recommend housing for Queens West, once slated to host 2012 athletes' village

By Tom Acitelli

The story of Queens West, a 74-acre waterfront tract in Long Island City, is a tale of two halves.

The northern half of the site will soon see construction of seven more residential buildings that will add thousands of apartment units to an area just across the East River from Manhattan.

The southern half of the tract was supposed to be equally ambitious: Plans called for it to become one of the biggest commercial hubs in New York and – briefly – the site of the Olympic Village for the 2012 Summer Games.

But Mayor Michael Bloomberg's heavily touted bid for Olympic glory was eclipsed by a London fog, and the rezoning of a nearby area for heavy commercial left the future of the southern half of the parcel in doubt. So, what to do, then, with the remaining half of Queens West?

Make it like the northern half, apparently.

The Queens West Development Corporation, a city-state-Port Authority partnership, has hired the Weitzman Group, a Manhattan-based real estate consulting firm to evaluate the 31-acre parcel in the absence of large-scale commercial development. Weitzman is expected to publicize its study results by early autumn.

"There is a lot of interest by real estate people in the development of Queens West," said Alexander Federbush, president of the Queens West Development Corporation.

Federbush said he couldn't say which developers had approached the corporation about building in Queens West. Two already have, and one has plans to build in the northern half.

Rockrose Development already has plans to build seven residential buildings on the northern half that should add more than 3,000 units. The 522-unit City Lights, a co-op, as well as the 372-unit rental Avalon Riverview, opened in 1997 and 2003, respectively. Retail, parkland, and possibly an elementary school are expected to follow.

Rockrose plans to open the first of its seven buildings – a 31-story rental – by late 2006, according to Charles Singer, director of market research at Rockrose.

Media speculation this summer had one of the seven buildings becoming the largest condo in the city. Not so, said Singer. Instead, that idea has been scaled down into a 30-story tower.

The evolution of Queens West to a residential hub began with a groundbreaking in 1984 in pursuit of creating the fourth-largest commercial hub in the city after Midtown, Downtown Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn. The original project plan called for more than 2 million square feet of commercial office space. That promise was never quite kept, as politics, economics and market shifts took their toll.

The area northeast of Queens West, around the transit stops of Queens Plaza and Court Square, was rezoned in 2001 to become a central business district for Queens, negating the need for it in nearby Queens West.

"Since the original general project plan," Federbush said, "the city has done a lot of rationalizing regarding where it wants its commercial hubs. With Queens Plaza rezoned and developing commercially, it didn't seem practical anymore to build commercially [in Queens West]."

The Weitzman Group study, at a public cost of around $400,000, will weigh in, then, on whether to develop the southern half of Queens West as all residential or as mixed-use, according to the development corporation.

And there are plenty of people waiting to act on its long-awaited formal conclusions.

Copyright © 2003-2005 The Real Deal.

Queens West from Top of the Rock - observation deck atop GE building in Rockefeller Center.

Fantastic photo. Is that Citylights or Avalon?

With Rockrose, Court Square Two, redevelopment of the waterfront... this is ranking LIC with Manhattan!

Quote Originally Posted by Strattonport
    Fantastic photo. Is that Citylights or Avalon?

With Rockrose, Court Square Two, redevelopment of the waterfront... this is ranking LIC with Manhattan!
    ok that is citylights but i am a little confused about that picture... I have never noticed that thing stickin out of Citylights. You can see Avalon Riverview Peeping up on the right of the Citylights building.
    Last edited by shocka; November 9th, 2005 at 05:50 PM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast