Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Queens West: Luxury on the Waterfront

Default ummm, that's why it should be private sector bought

I think your comment that its good except for subway improvements illustrates the problem with this deal. The Port Authority should have sought top dollar for this site and then used the proceeds to improve transit to it.

Its stupid to income restrict housing. Just build enough of it, and the income will restrict itself. I think its better than doing nothing, but the city would have been much better served by maximizing revenue with a sale to private investors.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

This is both good news and potentially bad news.

The good part is that there will be more new and (somewhat) affordable housing in the city.

The bad part I can see is if they design it the way I think most large scale urban housing construction projects in this city is, then it would be terrible.

They tend to build towers with bland groundfloors surrounded by lots of open or green space. This does not make for a very lively or intimate neighborhood feel.

I'd much prefer they build these units sprinkled throughout the city. When they have a large tract of land to work with, they will most likely get the design all wrong.

This is an example of the wrong way of doing it:

Random Personality

I think it's too early to say the area is poorly designed considering that most of the area is made out of empty or lots that are under construction.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Do you have trouble reading?

When did I say the area the city just bought is poorly designed?

And if you're referring to the picture above, then yes it is poorly designed. That plaza doesn't look under construction to me.

What does the current area being mostly empty lots have to do with what I said?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The waterfront area known as Queens West, of which the land sold yesterday is a part, has been the subject of promised development since the early 1980’s. Had the city’s bid for the 2012 Olympic Games been accepted, the site would have been used for the Olympic Village. The new development would fill the fallow land just south of a handful of high-rise apartment buildings that have appeared only in the past few years.

Here's some more great proof that the Bloomberg administration was just blowing smoke out its butt back when it was claiming the city "needed" the 2012 Olympics to spur development. A year later, we're getting new development on this site without the Olympics -- and whereas the city would have had to wait until after the Games were over to convert the Athletes Village into housing, this development will likely be built and occupied before 2012, at least in part.

The administration slated housing for this site regardless if we won the olympics. Now it will just take longer. I doubt the city is going to complete 5,000 units by 2012 and the design will probably be half assed to at most, one-third assed. To the right is what the city initially had in mind, designed by Beyer Blinder Belle. Hopefully the Morphosis proposal provided the city with an epiphany.

My friend at KPF told me only the 15 story portion will be built for now and the footprint of the tower will also include some other low-rises on the block. She gave me some cool renderings that I might post later.

Lastly, TEN Arquitectos updated their website and some new images of that 600-foot Queens Street Tower are posted. Five times better than the Costas' Atelier. However, being that this is New York, I expect it to slowly get wittled down to crap in the coming months/years/decades.

TEN Arquitectos
    http://www.ten-arquitectos.com/
    Last edited by Derek2k3; October 21st, 2006 at 11:44 AM.

Random Personality

I doubt that, considering there are very few if any residents in the proximity of the Queens street project.

Well, I didn't really have Nimby's in mind, probably economics. It would be great to have something this nice built, but given our track record producing innovative towers, I'm always skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

My friend at KPF told me only the 15 story portion will be built for now and the footprint of the tower will also include some other low-rises on the block. She gave me some cool renderings that I might post later.
    Oh, yeah -- Please POST them ...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

Lastly, TEN Arquitectos updated their website and some new images of that 600-foot Queens Street Tower
    Gorgeous that one is ^^^

That Morphosis design is nice-looking, but it doesn't belong in NYC. I guess Morphosis wants to bring a little LA to the Big Apple. The design doesn't look city-friendly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    I doubt that, considering there are very few if any residents in the proximity of the Queens street project.
    There don't have to be residents in the proximity. NIMBYs have the power to materialize out of thin air.

Random Personality

That's true, but i think the area residents are more prodevelopment than anything, at least the smart ones lol.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Please POST them ...
    They're on my hard drive at school so I'll post them tomorrow evening.

In the mean time, also from TEN's website, there's a preliminary design for Sunnyside railyards. Looks like there are ideas to connect this to the recently announced 5000 unit, middle-income housing project on the waterfront.

Amazingly so! That's quite a plan. I actually like it.
    I love the Queens Street Tower rendering.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast