Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More merry Manhattan makeovers: 100 Park; 1515 B'way

Default More merry Manhattan makeovers: 100 Park; 1515 B'way

Added to the list of Manhattan remakes. Everything old is new again...

http://www.secinfo.com/d11MXs.v2d8j.d.htm

100 Park Avenue, the trend continues...

(SL Green)
    http://www.slgreen.com/

Not much here about 1515 Broadway, but 100 Park is moving forward:
    http://www.slgreen.com/property.php?id=1

100 Park Avenue is currently undergoing a $70 million capital improvement plan which will include:

-New facade with a sleek, reflective curtain wall design.

-New two-story atrium lobby.

-New elevator cabs with glass and stone accents.

-New insulated windows.

-New HVAC systems providing tenant-controlled temperature and year-round availability.

-8 watts per square foot of electric capacity.

-New emergency generator providing 100% back up to critical life-safety systems.

-New state-of-the-art security system.

1515 Broadway is horrible. Anything done to it would be an improvement.

Thumbs down

This refacing and whitewashing thing has gone too far. It went too far with the Verizon Building and 2 Columbus Circle, in each instance it was unnecessary and the replacement was architecturally weaker than the original as the original in each case held sentimental value of an architectural era in New York City, which represented a bygone era of the City. All the same holds true for Astor Plaza and 100 Park Avenue, only in this instance both hold greater architectural importance. 100 Park Avenue represented the change of an era, it was the first glass curtain wall skyscraper in an era of limestone and brick, black cars, and long distance train travel. One Astor Plaza was a pioneer in Times Square and in Post Modern architecture, it reflected its context, the energy of Times Square was captured in a pinwheel floor-plate that was integrated into a jazzy crown, the treatments are cheap, but such was the very-much sleazy Times Square, a most unlikely place to build a skyscraper. No building represents the old Times Square and the unlikely transition to the Business District Times Square more than One Astor Plaza.

The replacements for both One Astor Plaza and 100 Park Avenue are both Any City USA, devoid of any history and character. The replacement for One Astor Plaza especially reminds me of the Morgan Stanley Building in TXSQ, a most unremarkable building.

While we're at it, why don't we make every modern building from the 1950's onwards; a nice, calming, blue green glass box.

I admit I have a problem

I don't get it. Why is this happening?
    Tax breaks?
    Is green glass easier to maintain?
    Are renovations a good excuse to drive out current tenants?
    Will new tenants pay that much more to be in a reclad building? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by NewYorkDoc View Post
    1515 Broadway is horrible. Anything done to it would be an improvement.
    Except for the boring gridded box they show in the rendering

If you really wanted make 1515 Broadway "new", then get to work on the Shubert Alley, ground-floor side. The rest of the tower and crown are fine but if a make-over meant a new alley, I'd be all for it.

What a missed opportunity to create a sense of place. The "Shubert Alley" address is historic, world known, but 1515 Broadway's glass wall ruins it. Create a cornice line, face it in limestone.... something, anything, to work with the Booth and Shubert Theatres. And give it some life with shops ...a couple of resturants instead of the one entrance it has now. A terrace for out door dining .... something other than that blank sheer wall.

And notice the hideous (IMHO the ugliest building in NYC) Marriot Hotel that now completes the view (used to be the Helen Hayes theatre there) ...at least a new vision for 1515 B'way and Shubert Alley could alleviate the damage done.

---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42910_NYNY_ShubertAlley271.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	4085   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26602.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	4087  
    Last edited by Fabrizio; April 29th, 2007 at 08:56 AM.

No!!! I like the Verizon the way it use to be and now they are getting rid off 1515 Broadway interesting facade! I actually rather see them spend money in new construction than doing this 'whitewashing' crap! How can this be stop?

Quote Originally Posted by 212 View Post
    I don't get it. Why is this happening?
    Tax breaks? Is green glass easier to maintain?
    Are renovations a good excuse to drive out current tenants? Will new tenants pay that much more to be in a reclad building? Why?
    Basically to become more competitive in Manhattan's overheated office market. The demand for NEW space is hotter than it's ever been. But even without that, sometimes buildings just need new life.

I've mentioned before, those older buildings aren't just there for us to look at, they have to compete with the current class of skyscrapers. For some older buildings, that means giving up completely, and going residential. For older buildings , especially with larger floor areas, this is another option:

100 Park

New facade with a sleek, reflective curtain wall design.

-New two-story atrium lobby.

-New elevator cabs with glass and stone accents.

-New insulated windows.

-New HVAC systems providing tenant-controlled temperature and year-round availability.

-8 watts per square foot of electric capacity.

-New emergency generator providing 100% back up to critical life-safety systems.

-New state-of-the-art security system.

I'm sure if this building were being demolished there would be cries to save it. Well, its being saved.

In the case of the 1515 Broadway rendering, the appearance goes beyond recladding...

APRIL 28, 2007

I'm going to miss the crown on One Astor Plaza if they go through with the renovation.

^ Should be landmarked. Another Sixties building bites the dust because its style is temporarily out of fashion. Just like 2 Columbus Circle.

Big shame.

Meanwhile, isn't Rogers doing a thinly-veiled replica of it in London?

At least he appreciates its iconic value.

I would like to see the POG located at 330 Madison Ave. reskinned. What a dump!

I admit I have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    Basically to become more competitive in Manhattan's overheated office market. The demand for NEW space is hotter than it's ever been. But even without that, sometimes buildings just need new life.
    Thanks for replying, NYguy. But you'll have to forgive my ignorance about the economics, as I'm not in the real estate field: Why don't developers just repair the interiors, make the technology upgrades, give the exterior a good washing, and save themselves the enormous time and expense of actually tearing an entire building open and losing all their rental income for months or years?

Are tenants paying that much more for a fashion statement? ("New and bland"?) I thought modernist buildings like these were already getting really high rents.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast