Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Perry West - 173/176 Perry Street @ West Street - by Richard Meier

Forum Veteran

Default Perry West by Richard Meier

Has there been any progress with the Pathfinder building? *Didn't some paper mention he might design this new building, too?

Default Perry West by Richard Meier

Richard Meier on tall buildings:

The 21st century should be a century of tall buildings—as was the 20th. Now there is a
    hesitation to design an important tall building because of the fear of creating a symbol of something wonderful, which then becomes a target for terrorism. Eventually, I hope and pray this will no longer be the case. But it is going to be difficult, especially at Ground Zero, to design very tall buildings. They could sit empty for quite a while. But, tall is relative. Towers don't have to be 110 stories. Buildings of 50, 60, 70 stories make sense since everything around the World Trade Center site is 55 stories.

The view of 176 Perry Street condominium from Charles Street.

What is the structure on the roof?

Forum Veteran

Currently there is one similar to it on the roof of the Kimmel Center.

God, I wish I had a digital camera. I've been dropping hints to my parents for one for some time now.

Forum Veteran

http://www.observer.com/pages/transfers.asp

This week, the developer juggernauts Izak Senbahar and Simon Elias—the team that built the $138 million Grand Beekman at East 51st Street and the $70 million David Rockwell–designed Alex Hotel at East 45th Street—will break ground on the third Richard Meier tower at 165 Charles Street. The building will be complete by spring 2005, and this time Mr. Meier gets to design the shower curtains.

The $80 million project is considerably more ambitious than Mr. Meier’s Perry Street towers. The 16-story building will feature 32 apartments with 11-foot ceilings that will cost approximately $2,500 per square foot. While Mr. Meier designed the Perry Street towers as raw space, he will completely outfit the Charles Street building, designing everything from kitchen space to the bathroom fixtures.

"This will be a different product; they will be Richard Meier–designed homes. This is an architect that designed churches and museums," Mr. Senbahar said. "The interior design is as important as the exterior design."

The building, where apartments will start at $5 million, will feature luxury amenities like a 12,000-square-foot finished cellar, a professional screening room with 36 seats (also designed by Mr. Meier), a 50-foot swimming pool with a cascading waterfall, an exercise room and a wine cellar that can store 360 bottles for each apartment.

"This building is for people who want a unique lifestyle," Mr. Senbahar said.

For a monopoly of buildings, Meier is the perfect architect.

To give some context, the new building will rise in place of the red-brick building to the right of the Perry Buildings.

I've never been to NYC but I read in another post that the area around the Perry Buildings used to be rather seedy and to some extent still is. It's odd to think of Nicole Kidman living in that neighbourhood. Of course, like all the stars, she has lots of homes. I bet she never steps out to the sidwalk. Which is a shame. If I ever go to NYC I'll be sleeping on the sidewalks and would like to meet her.:wink:

The area began to change when the Miller Highway was torn down many years ago. Today it is certainly not seedy, and one of the great places to live in Manhattan.

Forum Veteran

A strong piece of advice to anyone that has not been to NYC and do not really know people who have been (especially within the last, oh 10 years, or so)... do not believe much until you see it for yourself.

There are still people that think NYC is some crime infested rat hole. That's, like, sooo 1978, or something.

I'm glad to hear Nicole is really living in a nice neighbourhood. I read that Lenny K. has a place across the street but all I see is water in the photos...must own a houseboat.:wink:

If you've ever seen Sex in the City, Carrie's house is just up Perry St. from these towers and they often film in the area. Its definitely not seedy anymore.

NY Daily News http://www.nydailynews.com/front/
    Jan02, 2004

Buy bye?

Nic may punt on $8M pad

The 411

By REBECCA LOUIE, SUZANNE ROZDEBA, ZOE ALEXANDER and BEN WIDDICOMBE

Will Nicole Kidman be penthouse-hopping in 2004?

We hear the statuesque Aussie wants to move far and away from her $8 million, 4,000-square-foot Perry St. pied-a-terre.

It's in the Richard Meier-designed, two-towered condos that also boast such tony owners as Calvin Klein, Martha Stewart, hotel honcho Ian Schrager and Broadway "Boy" Hugh Jackman.

"But Nicole is saying she doesn't want to move in, because the building is too much in the public eye," says our source. "She wants to live somewhere quieter, where she doesn't feel on display all the time."

The "Cold Mountain" star is currently renting roomy digs in Chelsea, where, we hear, Lenny Kravitz has been a frequent visitor. Kidman's last home was his SoHo loft, which the rocker has since rented to pal Denzel Washington.

Despite the hype, Meier's Perry St. palace has not proved to be a happy home for many early buyers. The development has been plagued with construction delays, leaks and talk of a third tower that will block stunning river and city views.

Martha Stewart's 3,000-square-foot duplex penthouse - which she bought for $6 million - is said to be for sale for $7.2 million. And Klein and Schrager never moved in.

At this rate, Kidman might have more privacy if she stays.

-----------------------------------------

Meier is a truly great architect - leaky buildings.

Forum Veteran

I think that would be attributed more to the construction team...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast