Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Morgan Library & Museum Expansion - 29 East 36th Street - by Renzo Piano

Quote Originally Posted by Rapunzel View Post
    No offense, Ablarc, but you couldn't make a place look dull if your career depended on it.
    Backhand?

Btw, my career does depend on it; I'm asked to make places look dull all the time. Most folks want that, so...

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Backhand?

... I'm asked to make places look dull all the time. Most folks want that, so...
    Really?

Why would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Really?

Why would that be?
    Mostly it's because good-looking architecture is associated in people's minds with extravagance. It's a form of puritanism. Two anecdotes:

I once designed a state university building and found strategies for getting some pizzazz into it without much bumping the cost. The building came in 10% under the budget allocated for it. There was general elation, but it was short-lived. Turns out the state had an architectural pizzazz ombundsman, and he eliminated 100% of the building's nice features. When asked why --since the building was under budget-- he replied that his job was to make sure the taxpayer didn't get the impression that the state was being extravagant.

Another time I designed a monumental stair for a church building. The stair was curved because that configuration fit the allocated space and structure in an efficient manner (while delivering a little glamour). The building committee feared it might strike the congregation as extravagant, so I was made to square it off. That necessitated a structural change that actually increased the cost.
    Last edited by ablarc; November 8th, 2006 at 01:30 PM.

... puritanism.
    Aha ... Ever-present in the USA (and beyond), since day one.

Mostly it's because good-looking architecture is associated in people's minds with extravagance. It's a form of puritanism. Two anecdotes:

I once designed a state university building and found strategies for getting some pizzazz into it without much bumping the cost. The building came in 10% under the budget allocated for it. There was general elation, but it was short-lived. Turns out the state had an architectural pizzazz ombundsman, and he eliminated 100% of the building's nice features. When asked why --since the building was under budget-- he replied that his job was to make sure the taxpayer didn't get the impression that the state was being extravagant.

Another time I designed a monumental stair for a church building. The stair was curved because that configuration fit the allocated space and structure in an efficient manner (while delivering a little glamour). The building committee feared it might strike the congregation as extravagant, so I was made to square it off. That necessitated a structural change that actually increased the cost.
    Are people afraid to explain stuff?

I really don't think I could handle that depth of stupidity.

Do you have 'happy ending story' to balance that out?

The customer is always right.

The Dude Abides

The building committee feared it might strike the congregation as extravagant, so I was made to square it off.
    Extravagance? In a church? No, those two have never gone together...

Quite fascinating. So the marketing axiom is true: Perception is Reality.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Extravagance? In a church? No, those two have never gone together...
    Sensitive to the idolatrous, Catholic past, some churches make a fetish out of humble architecture. I've designed churches that look like they fix cars inside.

The Dude Abides

I've always regarded those to mainly serve the Protestant factions. But now it's spreading to Catholicism? What's next to go - the golden chalices and tabernacles?

No, no, it's the Protestants who are sensitive to the Catholics' excesses; they've felt obligated since Martin Luther.

The Catholics? They hire Richard Meier.

The Dude Abides

I know about the Protestants. For some reason, I thought you were designing a Catholic Church, which I readily associate with extravagance. I don't know; maybe I just automatically think "Catholic" when I hear "church".

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    For some reason, I thought you were designing a Catholic Church...
    I wish...! But for some reason they never come around.

The evangelicals are all puritans. Occasionally I get a black church that wants something fancy. Trouble is, they already know what it is; they come by with photographs from newsletters.

Quote Originally Posted by daver View Post
    So the marketing axiom is true: Perception is Reality.
    Perception is the gateway through which reality enters our consciousness. Have you read Huxley's "Doors of Perception"?

c'mon Abalrc, don't be so coy, show us one of your churches!!!!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast