Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Times Square Tower - 7 Times Square / 42nd @ B'way & 7th Ave - by S.O.M.

The Dude Abides

Snazzy Sentinels for an Unsafe World

By ANTHONY DePALMA

Published: July 24, 2005

IT is crowds. It is color. But most of all, Times Square is chaos, a user-friendly, Toys-"R"-Us kind of chaos that gives these clamorous street corners an excitement that is famous around the world.

But since 9/11, chaos has meant danger. So notice that flowers now grow in big concrete tubs in front of the Reuters building, while juniper shrubs take root in security planters outside Ernst & Young's headquarters.

And then there is the new Times Square Tower at Broadway and 42nd Street. It is surrounded by a weird galaxy of thigh-high concrete models of the world designed to keep true chaos at bay.

Christopher J. Fogarty, an architect who happens to be from London, where terrorists have struck most recently, worked on the building while he was on the staff of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill. He struck out on his own, and after the attacks, his firm, Fogarty Finger, of New York, was commissioned to enhance the building's security and keep truck bombers out of the glass lobby.

At first, he thought security planters were his only choice, even though he hated them. "Plants die, and the planters get used as ashtrays," Mr. Fogarty said. "And I can't stand it when dirty barriers are just set around a building. It feels like the barricades at Normandy."

He submitted a plan anyway, and the city's Art Commission rejected it.

So Mr. Fogarty played around with the idea of a long line of orbs encircling the building as though it were the sun. The pieces would also keep a speeding truck out of the building's lobby.

The orbs morphed into precast concrete globes, 63 of them, imprinted with oceans and continents and a shadow line that creeps across the earth's surface, signifying the passage of time at Times Square.

The shadow sequence is supposed to begin at the corner of West 42nd Street and Broadway and move clockwise at hourly intervals around the building through several days. But the first orbs were not numbered at the factory in Wisconsin, and workmen placed them in reverse sequence.

Mr. Fogarty is waiting until all the globes are delivered before asking the building's developer, Boston Properties, for a crew to restore order to his universe.

"It's going to be a logistical nightmare," he conceded.

But worth it, even though he first thought the globes were "a little cheesy." He has actually grown fond of them, and derives impish pleasure from knowing they are not in order. He wonders whether anyone will notice.

Certainly not the oblivious tourists who think it is cool to be photographed sitting atop the world.

"No, sorry," said one tourist when asked about the mistake as he snapped a photo of a friend seated on what roughly would be Berlin. "I am from Czech Republic."

Of course, as Mr. Fogarty strives to impose order on the Crossroads of the World, terrorists are intent on creating chaos in his hometown, half a world away.

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

Thumbs up

MUCH better than ugly planters and such. IMO.

I'm still a fan of nice and simple titanium clad steel bollards.

Example: (the bollards surrounding the Time Warner Center. Although I prefer bollards that are lit at the top.

Those globes look strangely out of place. As an idea i like them but in fruition they look curiously odd, not a big fan of them.

They look militaristic.... designer cannon balls?

While perhaps not militaristic, I must say I find the globe bollards to be quite unattractive.

Although I do completley agree with the designer's argument that planters (unless properly maintained like the ones in Midtown by Grand Central Partnership) usually end up being large, ugly, ashtrays and thereby ruin an otherwise visually pleasant stretch of street.

The only thing worse than improperly maintained protective planters are the awful warzone-inspired jersey barriers the City still has spattered about Downtown. If only those would be replaced by something better like titanium bollards or even this Londoner's odd globes.

I find the spheres kind of unexpected and whimsical -- and a nice change of pace from some of the more ordinary corporate installations that have been popping up around the city. Plus you can actually sit on them!

The best bollards I've seen (I believe them to be more decorative than fuctional) are in front of the Pfizer's World Headquarters at 235 E. 42nd St. They're hollow titanium, drilled with lots of holes and lit from the inside with very deep and rich blue lights, best viewed once the sun is setting. If I ever find myself with excess sums of money, I must find out where I can get one built. Anyone else ever notice these?

they should make those blockers into beautifull statues. I like the globe but not there. Maybe at the world financial Center or special financial centers like that. Put statues.

at a second look, it reminds me of a bomb. or gettysburg

What sort of statues?

I don't think this would work.

Banned Member

The spheres at the corner of Broadway and 42nd d have silver objects embedded in the top that seem to eerily resemble globes fit over closed circuit cameras (like in banks). Take a look. The latest in surveillance technology?

Smile

They match quite good with the JVC Globe

Perhaps Jim Dine could be convinced to replicate a bunch of these in miniature and set them up somewhere...