Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Times Square Tower - 7 Times Square / 42nd @ B'way & 7th Ave - by S.O.M.

An idea (thanks to Michael Graves) for bollards to surround the Disney / ABC studios on Broadway...

Last edited by lofter1; July 25th, 2005 at 09:38 AM. Reason: better images

Quote Originally Posted by kznyc2k
    The best bollards I've seen (I believe them to be more decorative than fuctional) are in front of the Pfizer's World Headquarters at 235 E. 42nd St. They're hollow titanium, drilled with lots of holes and lit from the inside with very deep and rich blue lights, best viewed once the sun is setting. If I ever find myself with excess sums of money, I must find out where I can get one built. Anyone else ever notice these?
    I have seen those and I too find them quite cool. Very 90's high tech look to them.

They do appear to be less functional than decorative although I'm sure in this day and age Pfizer was smart enough being the world's largest pharma company to make them impact resistant.

In fact I now have proof that the Pfizer "blue, perforated metal, backlit" bollards are functional as well.

I snagged a shot off the net of Pfizer's headquarters a few years ago before the installation of the cool 90's bollards when the headquarters building had ugly concrete jersey barriers in front of the building.

The new bollards must have been a stylish replacement for the raw concrete barriers and for that I thank Pfizer.

Here's a shot of Pfizer before the stylish bollards:

Im so in love with this tower.......

Default better late than never...

Quote Originally Posted by JerzDevl2000
    I like the enclosure that this building will provide, but the architecture leaves something to be desired for. Conde Nast raised the bar, but 5 and 10 Times Square will probably be looked at as designs of our tech obsessed society. 20 years from now, I don't think these will be looked back with the fondness that we show Citicorp or the WFC, but the "blade runner" effect is quite evident in the October 12th pic.

Who designed this building again? Was it David Childs? I'd like to see the view from Jersey of this going up. Something tells me this will be like 5 Times Square in that the view down 7th Ave of it will be much better than the view of it from across the river.

IT WASN'T DAVID CHILDS - IT WAS AN ASSOCIATE WHO WORKED CLOSELY WITH BOSTON PROPERTIES AND WENDY LAVENTER FRON THE 42 STREET DEVELOPMANT CORPORATION - HIS NAME IS ALEX CEPPI.

HE LEFT RIGHT AFTER HE WAS DONE WITH IT AND OPENED A NEW FIRM WHICH DOES MORE CUTTING EDGE/GREEN ARCHITECTURE. HE'S ALSO DESIGNING OBJECTS (LIKE A THE BRANDING AND BOTTLE OF A NEW WATER COMPANY).

EXCITING STUFF. DAVID COULD HAVE NEVER DESIGNED THAT BUILDING IN ITS CURRENT CONFIGURATION. I KNOW; I WORKED THERE TOO.

Quote Originally Posted by icarus
    IT WASN'T DAVID CHILDS - IT WAS AN ASSOCIATE WHO WORKED CLOSELY WITH BOSTON PROPERTIES AND WENDY LAVENTER FRON THE 42 STREET DEVELOPMANT CORPORATION - HIS NAME IS ALEX CEPPI.... DAVID COULD HAVE NEVER DESIGNED THAT BUILDING IN ITS CURRENT CONFIGURATION. I KNOW; I WORKED THERE TOO.

Was Childs a nice guy or a dick?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Whoever did this building, be it Childs or Joe Schmoe failed miserably. They had a chance to do something stunningly beautiful here but instead we got a box. This is the most disappointing building to go up in the past 10 years IMO because of this highly prominent location. Anywhere else and I wouldn't even care but this the most visible intersection in the world--we deserve better, much better.

Agreed.

so why the f do we give all the new jobs to david c.and not kps cp nf

Default It's called politics, pal!

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Whoever did this building, be it Childs or Joe Schmoe failed miserably. They had a chance to do something stunningly beautiful here but instead we got a box. This is the most disappointing building to go up in the past 10 years IMO because of this highly prominent location. Anywhere else and I wouldn't even care but this the most visible intersection in the world--we deserve better, much better.
    Anyone who's ever designed a tower in NYC knows that zoning, politics and client service lead the process - think about what's currently taking place at ground zero: Childs wanted the job so badly, he proceeded to screw everyone else out of the job without any regards to the fact that "that particular project was doomed from the start" - nothing anyone could ever designed on that site was going to be good enough, regardless - matching the expectations of a city in moarning is virtually impossible (Times Square Tower is no exception - one of the best sites in town virtually designed by a commitee only interested in $$$. In fact it looks pretty damn good for what anyone else was willing to put there. Does anyone even remember what Phillip Johnson wanted to build there?????).

Anyway, Architecture, not unlike all other art forms, will always be bound to be the object of criticism (and this is a great thing; how else would we protect how idiots impact our environment?); however, Architecture is also the only art form constrained by politics and the laws it generates.

I just think it helps to know these things.

Default Childs...

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Was Childs a nice guy or a dick?
    dick...

Took these today. More to come soon. The skin on the Verizon makes this skin look spectacular.

Wow, very nice, Derek. Out of all the jazzy new towers to go up in the area in the past ten years, this one is probably my favorite, and these photos remind me why. Thanks.

And then you get to the top.

In that strategic position we want a spire, a crown... symmetry. (at least I do...)

So yeah... super nice skin (interrupted by those tacky tack-on bands that are mostly hidden in these photos.)

Pardon my edit of your as-always beautiful work... but my eye is drawn to the left. All is right with this world:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	700218173_4ed8fa5f08_o.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	4424  

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    And then you get to the top.
    Yeah, that top... big letdown.