Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Time Warner Center and Central Park

Default AOL Time Warner and Central Park

Well, I'm not sure there is any winner between the two. The Hearst Magazine Tower is a good deal more substantial, taking up a good chunk of its full block width base, and filling a significant void in the photos posted here.

I suspect they will either complement each other, or Hearst will just swallow Central Park Place in its beauty

Forum Veteran

Hearst will be a nice infill building for those Central Park shots; I'm not saying that it'll be a background building, but it will definitely fill in that gap between CPP and WWP.

Nice pics really. I don't think Random is dull. It's quite elegant and mysterious. However AOL it seems even better than I thought. Huge and full of jazz movement.

Photos taken today (July 1) of the AOL/Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle...

Forum Veteran

I love how the glass facade reflects the sky. *On the brightest of days, with a few clouds here and there, the building seems almost ethereal.

Man, I just have to love these AOL Twin Towers. :cheesy: At 755 feet, 2.1 million sq ft, and 55 floors of multi-use grandeur, they're destined to become a major NYC landmark that will define Columbus Circle.

Maybe.
    But they'll never beat the charm of the old Majestic, San Remo, Eldorado...

99 is thinking, "Try to slip another fastball by, and I'll put it on CPW." * * Or....

"Not a memorable view,"

Depending on when Christian took those pictures, I might be somewhere in there. *I had a picnic at Sheep's Meadow on Sunday. *Fantastic day that was.

Quote: from Eugenius on 12:50 pm on Aug. 27, 2003
    Depending on when Christian took those pictures, I might be somewhere in there. *I had a picnic at Sheep's Meadow on Sunday. *Fantastic day that was.
    Me too - I was playing frisbee in the Meadow on Sunday afternoon. *Awesome scene.

Those pictures are Rion's. Check out her site, which often has great photos of the city.

She has a great site, thanks.

I was there on Sunday too around noon. I ran a race in the park that morning and went to the Sheep Meadow during the post-race convulsions.

Great shots! I love the discussion about this project.

Central Park is great, I don't think anyone here would argue about that. I remember in the 80's how tons of people with black shirts stood in the southwest corner of it to show the shadow that a development at the (then) New York Colesium site would block out the sun to the sheep meadow area.

I understand that we got a project that was slightly shorter and pushed off of the circle as much as possible, but I think we could have done better here! These towers, are very nice to see down Central Park South as they appear very thin and sleek. From the corner of 8th and 58th, they are brilliantly "cut" and the angles seem to be nearly impossible to actually exist.

From the park, however, they are huge! Almost too squat and plain, they seem out of touch with the towers on CPW that have been brought up before (San Remo, e.g.). This is not a failure but a lot of considerations needed to be met in order for this project to stand out from the other proposals that were put forth for this site. I think it falls short on a few of them...

the crowns are not distinctive at all, and personally I think it looks like a hulking mess. The space between the two towers is blocked by the Trump building. It only looks bearable from the Hudson or East river view

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast