Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Grand Central Terminal - 89 East 42nd Street @ Park Avenue - New York's Great Gateway

MTA renderings:

Apple Takes Bite of Grand Central

by Tom Stoelker

This morning Apple held a press preview of their new Grand Central store, which is set to open this Friday. The first impression of this glassless emporium, an anomaly for the company, is the respectful handling of the hallowed space. The store fills the space vacated by Metrazur restaurant, which wrapped around the Lexington Avenue side balcony. Apple’s showroom takes up half of the northern balcony as well. For Mac fans, the cleaned lined furnishings will be familiar, as are the various stations spread throughout the 23,000-square-foot space. The Genius Bar is still there, as are the iPad and iPod stations, laptops, accessories, and a professional yet casual staff of more than 300. Bohlin Cywinski Jackson‘s design took sight lines into consideration, as the only real hint that the store is there from the concourse are small strips of table lighting, and, of course, the company’s ubiquitous apple which hangs from a grand arch centered on the balcony. It could be argued that logo competes a bit the the world famous clock at the center of the terminal. But otherwise, the interventions appear considerate and reversible.

(click to enlarge)

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/28650

TWO illuminated apples. That sucks. They should not have been allowed to even have ONE illuminated apple, let alone two. ONE non intrusive, small, shiny, metal apple would have been more respectful of this grand public space. Are they embedded into the staircase wall, or are they suspended from supports?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/s...-rss&FEEDNAME=

The whole Apple-GCT agreement is being investigated. Good. The deal they received wasn't satisfactory on my opinion for that type of positioning.

The whole thing sucks. That balcony used to be a nice place to sit and take in the space while dining at a Metrazur, a lovely restaurant with very nice food. Now, it's another place to by useless crap made from abused child labor. The stupid lights are just the cherry on top of the sh_t sundae.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    The whole thing sucks. That balcony used to be a nice place to sit and take in the space while dining at a Metrazur, a lovely restaurant with very nice food. Now, it's another place to by useless crap made from abused child labor. The stupid lights are just the cherry on top of the sh_t sundae.
    Indeed. They shouldn't be there at all; there are plenty of other places to purchase Apple products. I hope they get kicked out.

Forum Veteran

Well get used to it, Apple is there to stay. I couldn't care less that Apple moved in, good for them. Never been to Metrazur before, never planned on it either. You can always go to the Michael Jordan Steakhouse

It is much better now that far more people get to experience the balconies, rather than restricting the area to dining. The Apple store is far less intrusive than any other retailer could be, and the sheer profit that will come from this store will be excellent for grand central terminal as a whole. There is still plenty of dining in the lower section of GCT and in the nearby area.

That misleading NYPost article is not about "kicking out apple", its about greedy government agencies trying to re neg on their agreements in order to extract more money from apple. The MTA already quadrupled the rent, now the state wants profit sharing in addition.

$60 / sq ft seems awfully low for premium space like that. I would think the rent would be at 50-100% higher, depsite the buy-out ane renovations.

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    $60 / sq ft seems awfully low for premium space like that. I would think the rent would be at 50-100% higher, depsite the buy-out ane renovations.
    Thanks. This is what I was getting at. You can't stress how premium this location is.

The illuminated Apple logos in the stairwells are not embedded in the stone of GCT. They're part of a glass panel that stands right in front of the stone. I was in a hurry but snapped a pic the other day (on my iPhone) .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	14663

My wife was no fan of the changes but to my mind, they seem minor and respectful, especially compared to the big Metrazur sign and out-of-place trees that used to be there.

Of course, GCT has endured worse intrusions, in its history.

Mercedes Cuvi design = just plain silly

The station, in spite of its banal Beaux Arts architecture is extraordinary because of its circulation.
    ^

Architects Get Creative With Drawings for Grand Central

by Sara Polsky

[By Mercedes Cuvi]

There's less than a month until the official centennial of Grand Central Terminal—the station opened on February 2, 1913—and as part of the festivities, the Architectural League of New York and the New York Transit Museum hosted a competition for architect and designer sketches of the station. Archinect has a slideshow of the winners, which were unveiled late last month and will be published in a Moleskine Grand Central-themed sketchbook. The winning architects submitted a mix of futuristic visions of Grand Central and alternate ways of looking at the current design. Above and below, a few of our favorites.

[By Sarah Mark]

The Architectural League website has some commentary from the judges, including this rave for the above design by Sarah Mark: "The station, in spite of its banal Beaux Arts architecture is extraordinary because of its circulation. So I must confess I was looking for vindication, for a sense in the drawings submitted that others had found the circulation to be a dominant factor as well. And I found it in Sarah Mark's beautiful drawing reminiscent of a medical illustration marking the pattern of arteries and veins in the human body."

Then there's this concept from Tyler Survant, Leticia Wouk Almino, and Kyle Stover, which suggests a future in which the station has been buried under an artificial wilderness and the former tunnels are home to robots:

[By Tyler Survant, Leticia Wouk Almino, and Kyle Stover]

Winners of Grand Central Terminal Drawing Competition [Bustler via Archinect]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...nd_central.php

Quote Originally Posted by Merry View Post
    Architects Get Creative With Drawings for Grand Central

by Sara Polsky

The Architectural League website has some commentary from the judges, including this rave for the above design by Sarah Mark: "The station, in spite of its banal Beaux Arts architecture is extraordinary because of its circulation. "

Oxymoronic statement.

Holy crap, what a quote. That sounds like something I would have said when I was 13 year old. See: the majority of SkyScraperCity and SkyScraperPage.

Architecture students are actually taught to think like that in most institutions.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast