Page 65 of 79 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast

Thread: Times Square Plaza - 11 Times Square - 42nd St @ 8th Ave - by FX Fowle Architects

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Thought I add another shot also from a different angle.

From earlier today...

10 floors too short.

I'm really starting to love the NYTT.
    It's like the ideal modern gotham building.
    And what's up with the floors that kind of poke out on the right side of 11 TS?
    Mechanical floors or best office vistas?

Nice photos econ_tim. Yeah how would I love for this one to have more floors.

At this point in time, I'd rather not the NYTT have a height competition; let it stand alone and proud for at least a little bit. Maybe once the area is filled in with 600-footers I'd wish for a bit more vertical variety, but I like the idea of the NYTT ruling over this area.

The proposed tower above Port Authority by Rogers is only slightly taller than the NYT and closer to the river. That kind of irks me. I think the worst way to pay respect to a skyscraper is to build another one at almost the same height right next to it. These are not brownstones.

No-nothing-nimbies were pushing for the new UN tower and the Turtle Bay South towers to be slightly lower (495') than the U.N. (505') to pay homage to it. How ridiculous. Trump World Tower at 861' hardly diminishes the prominence of the U.N. and only makes the East side skyline more remarkable.

The same outcries were heard with Miss Brooklyn vs. One Hanson (Williamsburg Savings), and Goldman Sachs vs. the Amex Building. Build the damn thing either lower or higher, otherwise the buildings just seem to cancel out.

Exactly why power shouldnt go to people who dont know what they are doing.

Unfortunately, politicians and nimbys are a match made in Hades, and they flourish in muddy waters where debate is strangled by agendas, manipulated figures, and misleading renderings. Developers use the same effective tactics (chicken or egg?). Meanwhile, the common citizenry is robbed of effective models that could show us some ways forward.

When sound-bites rule, when we enjoy shouting over debate, then only over-the-top charges and extreme demands can thrive in this toxic environment. Discourse has no place (it is hard work, requires intellectual effort, negotiation, compromise, and a willingness among all parties to reach a common good, a common goal . . where vision takes the long view over expediency.

If the common citizenry had some lived experienced of vision that leads to a vibrant built environment, that provides public space that we are proud to "own" then these common citizens would demand leadership and a role for government, design standards, and healthy horse-trading.

I wonder how cities like Melbourne have been able to change the development culture. Ablarc's photo-essays give us concrete examples that it can be done right. Even right here in River City. . . er., you know. Some of our most cherished neighborhoods, our most celebrated public spaces, our most vibrant commercial centers grew out of the stew that is New York. We can't risk being reduced to whiners and complainers. There's many ways. That's what leaders do... They describe a vision (not a pipe-dream, not pie-in-the-sky, but something better) and others spark us to find a way.

I agree.

I mistakenly thought the early days of the WTC rebuilding efforts could provide such a lived experience by the broader populace. When focus groups were confused by the massing models they were presented, it was because these folks were hungry for a vision of what could be. The Master Plan competition and Memorial competition engaged the public to a degree no one could have anticipated.

But the process became hijacked: by special interest groups, crackpots seeking a media spotlight, politically connected people skilled at getting what they wanted behind closed doors, and those with big ideas but no vision. Instead, the public became disillusioned with public process. Deals under the table, self-proclaimed entitlement groups, and Albany's "Three men in a room" prevailed. Cynicism replaced optimism; 'things never change' replaced 'we need change.'

My parents were poor but rich in hope, so I am condemned to believe that each of us can make a difference. Experience is a powerful teacher, which is why I have returned to working with young people. But the city itself needs some paradigm shifting experiences to get unstuck from the present quagmire.

^ Nice shots! I love the glass and I like the fact that they are using it to cover that blank wall.

Banned Member

Default 2/7/2009

My camera battery was dying, but here are few shots in its final moments...

Cladding still..