Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: Times Square Plaza - 11 Times Square - 42nd St @ 8th Ave - by FX Fowle Architects

Why did the PA pull out? Security concerns?

Forum Veteran

It needs to stay on hold, or get redesigned. What an unremarkable addition it would be.

(PABT, not 11TS)

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    Also along 42nd in early 2005 the Bush Tower will start its office addition. As for PABT Tower, its actually in court now as the PANYNJ is being sued by the developer it picked to build it before 9/11, the Rudin Family because they pulled out even thought Rudin had a tenant
    Really? I only heard Cisco mentioned. Is this still the case? I would love the tower to have all the big "Silicon Valley" names...Cisco, Intel, Sun, Microsoft, etc. These companies should have big offices in NY (MS Has a decent sized on at World Plaza).

Manhattan already has its own "Silicon Valley" where all the big tech companies gravitate, its in the Flatiron District.

Forum Veteran

Silicon Alley is basically dead of high-tech, internet firms, i work down there believe me. As for 11, i hope they get going on this

Forum Veteran

Walked pst the site today on way to Port authority, the big sign advertising the building is gone,, i think this project is dead. The state should reclaim the site and put out a RFP on it again in hopes a developer that has actually built something in NYC in the last 15 years, unlike Milstein, will come out the winner

Forum Veteran

...or they might be starting preconstruction of the redesign soon.

Forum Veteran

redesign, into what residential?

Forum Veteran

As Derek posted 2 pages ago,

http://www.jonseagull.com/p_11tsq_1.shtml

Banned Member

Yes, I noticed the old Times Square Plaza rendering/site signage covered with advertising as well. I think there has got to be pressure to develop this site with NYTT going up and the new tower going up adjacent to the McGraw Hill Building. This parcel and the one next to Bush Tower are the glaring missing pieces to the Times Square revitalization puzzle.

The Milsteins have unveiled proposed building around the city for the last five years. Can anyone recall any actually going forward?

Forum Veteran

They have not built a bulding from the ground up since 1989

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Yes, I noticed the old Times Square Plaza rendering/site signage covered with advertising as well. I think there has got to be pressure to develop this site with NYTT going up and the new tower going up adjacent to the McGraw Hill Building. This parcel and the one next to Bush Tower are the glaring missing pieces to the Times Square revitalization puzzle.

The Milsteins have unveiled proposed building around the city for the last five years. Can anyone recall any actually going forward?
    What's the new tower going up next to McGraw Hill? Maybe the city should take the property and sell it to someone with a financial plan in place to get something going. I can see the city selling it to a entertainment company to put an attraction there.

Forum Veteran

^The Orion, 58/62 floors.

What's the new tower going up next to McGraw Hill? Maybe the city should take the property and sell it to someone with a financial plan in place to get something going. I can see the city selling it to a entertainment company to put an attraction there.
    For the price Milstein payed and all the problems associated with it, its irregularly shaped, its a seedy location, I don't forsee anyother developer jumping in on it, it's a money pit.

NYPOST:

MILSTEIN PLAN HITS A SNAG

By STEVE CUOZZO

February 15, 2005 -- AFTER years of internecine family struggle and false starts, it's back to square one at the Milstein development site at Eighth Avenue and 42nd Street.

Brothers Howard and Edward Milstein, who originally planned a 35-story office tower, have scrapped it in favor of four new alternatives submitted to the Empire State Development Corp.

ESDC Chairman Charles Gargano said the proposals call for either an all-commercial tower; an office-residential combo; a hotel-residential combo; and what Gargano called a "strange one," combining commercial, residential and educational uses. They range from 720,000 to 850,000 square feet.

More than two years ago, the Milsteins held a ceremonial groundbreaking where Gov. Pataki wielded the shovel. But, "They are still seeking a market," said one real-estate industry player.

Sources said the new schemes differ from the original Fox & Fowle design that adorned a sign at the site. It recently was replaced by an ad for Emigrant.com, a service of Milstein-controlled Emigrant Savings Bank.

One source said, "Fox & Fowle has done various iterations of the new proposals, but nothing in a sufficiently developed state that you could even call working drawings."

The Milsteins need the ESDC's sign-off on design because the site falls within the boundaries of the state's 42nd Street Development Project.

It's also across the street from the New York Times headquarters being jointly developed by the Times Co. and Forest City Ratner. In trying to lure office tenants, the Milsteins must compete with space available at the top of the glamorous Times project, now under way.

One broker said, "The Milsteins did some marketing, but not in an organized way. By comparison, the Ratner campaign next door runs like a machine."

Those said to have talked to the Milsteins for office space include the NBA and various financial-services firms. Several operators of public aquariums have considered the entertainment-use space at the tower's base.

There's no question Howard Milstein wants to build, and both ESDC and Milstein insiders say the agency and the developer are cooperating well.

But the corner's barren state has frustrated state officials. The "Deuce" between Seventh and Eighth avenues, now home to office skyscrapers and new theaters, will seem unfinished as long as the corner remains vacant.

The Milstein brothers bought out their family's interest in the land in January 2001 for $77 million of a total site value of $111 million and closed the parking lot on the site.

Page 7 of 79 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast