Page 72 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1185

Thread: Times Square Plaza - 11 Times Square - 42nd St @ 8th Ave - by FX Fowle Architects

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Hmm. Looks much more smaller than NYT in this shot than when viewed from up close.

Some guys were power washing the curved windows on the base today. Down below, at the corner of Eighth / West 42nd, a bunch of rambunctious young Yankee celebrants pulled a Ratso Rizzo on a Jersey-ites car (Mets fan?) and fists were raised.

The guys up high with the spray hose tried to cool them all off ...

11 ts

Quote Originally Posted by econ_tim View Post
    pic removed
    As there are no corner columns all the way up, I'd love to see the view from a corner office towards the top of this thing leaning out over 42nd and 8th. The view must be sick.

This one is really looking good -- it both fits in and makes it's own mark.

Still waiting expectantly for the advertising globe to be installed atop the base above Eighth / 42nd. That will really liven it up.

Default has the ice been broken?

TIMES SQ. TOWER'S BOOST

By STEVE CUOZZO

Steven J. Pozycki's SJP Properties and law firm Proskauer Rose have reached a term-sheet agreement for a prospective Proskauer move to new 11 Times Square, three different sources said yesterday.

It will take several months more to draw up an actual lease for 400,000 square feet in the 1.1 million square-foot tower. A completed lease is by no means certain and the talks could yet fall apart.

But the term sheet is a major milestone in Pozycki's patient campaign to fill his $1.2 billion tower at Eighth Avenue and 42nd Street, which will be completed this summer but has yet to sign tenants.

A non-binding term sheet spells out all the main economic aspects of a landlord-tenant contract. It usually, but not always, leads eventually to a lease.

Beyond the obvious boon to SJP, a Proskauer move to 11 Times Square would have immense symbolic impact. It would validate not only SJP's investment in the $1.2 billion project -- a 35 percent equity stake with its partner, a Prudential real estate fund, Pozycki told us in 2007 -- but the entire cause of new Manhattan office construction.

Driving the SJP/Proskauer talks are several factors:

* Thriving Proskauer needs a new home that it can custom-tailor to its needs, which is more easily done in a new building than in its current home at 20 year-old 1585 Broadway.

* The law firm is feeling increasingly squeezed at the Morgan Stanley-owned Broadway address, where it has 12 floors. The bank is headquartered there and "isn't going out of its way" to accommodate Proskauer's need for extra temporary floors it must have if it were to rebuild its existing space.

* A lease at 11 Times Square might be $30 a square foot cheaper than it would have been at Boston Properties' aborted 250 W. 55th St. -- a project Boston suspended a year ago after the collapse of lease talks with Proskauer to be its anchor tenant there.

A lease at Boston's site might have cost $100-plus a square foot. SJP originally wanted that price for 11 Times Square, but last year the Real Deal re ported that Pozycki said he "would be real happy" with the high $70s, reflecting the mar ket's decline.

* While SJP is represented by a CB Richard Ellis team led by

Stephen B. Siegel, Proskauer is also repped by CBRE. Having the same brokerage work both sides doesn't always lead to a deal -- it didn't at 250 W. 55th -- but it never hurts.

Ever since 11 Times Square started going up two years ago, the many-faceted, glass-wrapped tower designed by FXFowle Architects has been the poster child for the supposed evil of speculative development. Most every story about rising vacancies has cited 11 Times Square's obviously temporary vacant status to claim that the market will be weak forever.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    This one is really looking good -- it both fits in...
    I'm loving it too, and I was just thinking how much the base took its cues equally from both the McGraw Hill Building and Times Square...nice.

Cool Aquarium Coming to 11 Times Square?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...ons_RealEstate

FEBRUARY 10, 2010, 5:59 P.M. ET

Deal May Bring Aquarium to Times Square

By ANTON TROIANOVSKI

New York's Times Square may be getting a new tenant: a seven-story aquarium.

Jerry Shefsky, a Toronto-based developer, said on Wednesday that he has signed a preliminary agreement with the landlord of an office tower on the western edge of Times Square to go forward with the $100 million project. He would install tanks featuring sharks, rays, penguins, otters, and other animals in the bottom floors of the 40-story building, known as 11 Times Square, hoping to attract some of the 35 million people who pass through Manhattan's major crossroads every year.

Mr. Shefsky, 76 years old, has built aquariums and shopping centers around the world. He cautioned in an interview that the lease agreement for 11 Times Square isn't yet final. But he said he may start building out the space as early as this April with the hope of opening the aquarium in September 2011.

A deal with Mr. Shefsky would be a long-awaited bit of good news for the developer of 11 Times Square, SJP Properties Inc., and its major financial backer, a real-estate fund managed by Prudential Financial Inc. SJP, led by New Jersey developer Steven Pozycki, broke ground on the tower in 2007 without having first secured a tenant, hoping that the hot Manhattan office market would bring sky-high rents as the building neared completion. But the market turned—New York City office rents plummeted 20% in 2009, according to Reis Inc.—and SJP's empty tower on the corner of 42nd Street and 8th Avenue has become a symbol of commercial-property woes.

SJP is also negotiating to lease 400,000 square feet in the building to law firm Proskauer Rose LLP, said a person familiar with the matter. The building is slated to be completed in the next few months.
    A Prudential spokeswoman declined to comment, and Proskauer didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. Mr. Pozycki declined to comment through a spokesman.

The proposed aquarium's unusual placement inside a skyscraper means it'll be different from most big-ticket fish exhibits. Preliminary plans call for about half of the floor space to be taken up by water exhibits, Mr. Shefsky said, while the rest will be occupied by things like a pirate museum and educational displays about the marine world. "It's anything but an aquarium in the format you might imagine," he said. Mr. Shefsky's company, Aquarium Developments Corp., also built the Newport Aquarium near Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Times Square project would likely have fewer fish than some of the high-profile aquariums built in recent years. Mr. Shefsky says he currently expects his tanks to contain about 600,000 gallons of water. Atlanta's Georgia Aquarium, which opened in 2005, has more than eight million gallons of water.

In snowy Midtown on Wednesday, there seemed to be some demand for another tourist attraction in the area. "Would I really like to go to an aquarium? No, I have one in Long Beach," said Helene Mayer, a 44-year-old occupational therapist from Los Angeles who had brought her 9-year-old son to the M&M World store in Times Square. But, she said, "now we're looking for another indoor activity to do," and an aquarium "would offer kids a great opportunity in a fun area."

Mr. Shefsky said he has lined up financial backers to help pay for the aquarium's installation, which will cost more than $100 million. He declined to name those backers, and he said he wasn't ready to release a rendering of the aquarium. Mr. Shefsky discussed his plans after an inquiry from a reporter.

Quote Originally Posted by arcman210 View Post

The proposed aquarium's unusual placement inside a skyscraper means it'll be different from most big-ticket fish exhibits. Preliminary plans call for about half of the floor space to be taken up by water exhibits, Mr. Shefsky said, while the rest will be occupied by things like a pirate museum ... "It's anything but an aquarium in the format you might imagine," he said.
    AAAaaarggghhh

As touristy as this may be, I get excited when something other than a drug store, bank branch, or a chain store opens in Manhattan.

We've had some interesting announcements recently like the new nightspot in Chelsea where the Roxy stood, a retail complex for small business owners in the church where Limelight use to be, and all the bowling alleys set to open.

Too bad these places aren't going to be cheap, but hopefully this is only the beginning of a trend to make the city fun again. I spent two hours in that arcade in Chinatown again yesterday, shame we don't have more of these pretension-less places.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    As touristy as this may be, I get excited when something other than a drug store, bank branch, or a chain store opens in Manhattan.

We've had some interesting announcements recently like the new nightspot in Chelsea where the Roxy stood, a retail complex for small business owners in the church where Limelight use to be, and all the bowling alleys set to open.
    I agree with your first sentence, Derek ... though as cool as an aquarium in Times Square could be, the "pirate museum" would be pretty lame if it were to happen...

As for the second part, I hate to break it to you but it looks like the Roxy would-be owners got scared

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post

... the "pirate museum" would be pretty lame if it were to happen...
    You'll be walkin' the plank for that

I won't visit the aquarium just like I haven't visited and won't visit the Wax Museum, Ripley's, Discovery Times Square Exhibit, the American Sports Museum, the Museum of Sex, Bodies, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame annex. These aren't museums they're businesses in the business of ripping off tourists. I refuse to pay $20-$30 when you're in the city with some of the best museums in the world where you can find what these museums offer and much more at a fraction of the price, if you just know how and where to look. If I'm itching to see an aquarium I'll head out to the Coney Island Aquarium, one of the best.

I hope the pirate exhibit has actual artifacts.