Page 73 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2363697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1185

Thread: Times Square Plaza - 11 Times Square - 42nd St @ 8th Ave - by FX Fowle Architects

Quote Originally Posted by NoyokA View Post

I won't visit ... the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame annex. These aren't museums they're businesses in the business of ripping off tourists.
    That one failed and closed on January 3, 2010 -- barely a year after it opened.

Granted, the Soho location on the little traveled stretch of Mercer Street doesn't have the tourist traffic of Times Square, but nothing in NYC is a hit until it proves itself with the public ...

Initial projections talked of the annex’s drawing in around half a million visitors a year, but Ms. Bell declined to provide figures on actual attendance or revenues. “We are not giving out numbers,” she said.

General admission to the annex is $26.50, compared with $22 at the main museum in Cleveland, which also offers more generous discounts for children and those over 65 than the annex does. Visitors typically spend four or five hours looking at the Cleveland exhibits, whereas an estimate of the time required for a full viewing at the annex, even with its high-technology features and club ambience as lures, is less than two hours.

“In New York you have to prove yourself, whether you’re a sports team or a museum,” Joel Peresman, president of the Hall of Fame Foundation, told The New York Times last November, just before the annex opened. “We have an important story to tell. And you have to have something interesting and compelling. Otherwise, New Yorkers are going to blow it off.”

I won't visit the aquarium just like I haven't visited and won't visit the Wax Museum, Ripley's, Discovery Times Square Exhibit, the American Sports Museum, the Museum of Sex, Bodies, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame annex. These aren't museums they're businesses in the business of ripping off tourists.
    True, but they aren't very good businesses -- the Sports Museum and Rock and Roll HoF have closed But I think your skepticism is right: This one could be fairly cool, or it could be another rip-off tourist trap.

If I'm itching to see an aquarium I'll head out to the Coney Island Aquarium, one of the best.
    You really think so? I've only been there twice, but I have the distinct impression it's one of the worst aquariums I've been to. It always seems small, outdated, a bit grungy, and really lacking in breadth/depth of exhibits. I'm looking forward to the renovations (fingers crossed)...

Talking

It can be a great addition, with the right signage it should draw customers for the other businesses down to 8th ave 42nd st corner

It will also be good for the city school kids to visit (if there is money in the school budget)

Lawyers upstairs, sharks downstairs,

Better chance to survive downstairs with those sharks

This isn't 100% relevant to this thread, but looking at the photo, what do you think the chances of the Javits Center getting demo'ed to make way for some high-rises in the next 20 years are? (I'm hoping pretty high.)

Personally, I'd rather remove the zebra (which looks as good in this photo as it ever has) from the face of the Earth, but the Javits is much more likely to be replaced.

I feel like they'll renovate and expand it.

Will our state/city ever have as much cash on hand as it did during the height of the last boom? Yet we still couldn't get anything large done.

NJ Photographer

NJ Photographer
    440 42nd will appear in front of the Nelson Tower in this shot and it's about the same height as The Orion. Also, Moinian has that stalled site next to the Atelier which is suppose to be about 620' tall also.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; February 22nd, 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stroika View Post
    This isn't 100% relevant to this thread, but looking at the photo, what do you think the chances of the Javits Center getting demo'ed to make way for some high-rises in the next 20 years are? (I'm hoping pretty high.)
    I think there's little doubt the Javits will eventually be replaced.

The current renovation is just a temporary fix. And the site is much, much more valuable as a development site.

So, yeah, I think once Hudson Yards really starts going, then plans will be made to move Javits, probably to the Sunnyside Yards.

Developers and the City have talked about this for some time, even back under Pataki.

I hope you're right. Sunnyside Yards would be an ideal location for a Trade Fair and Expo Center in the fashion of those in Milan and Barcelona.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    NYTimes tower ought to be more adequately lit. Are they ever going to get to it?

Illuminated Signage has gone up at 41st / Eighth.

11 Times Square Flaunts Phantom Tenants

March 12, 2010, by Pete

New signage outside 11 Times Square.

(click to enlarge)

Aside from the promise of a few fishes down below and some legal eagles up top, pinning down prospective tenants at the new 11 Times Square office tower has proven to be problematic. But additional names were recently affixed to this 35-story skyscraper from SJP Properties. Just outside the entry doors at Eighth Avenue and 41st Street new signs have gone up for the Laerdna Corp. and Elland Lauge Associates LLC. They sound important! But our searching revealed nary a match, so either these two companies are very clandestine or the design crew from FXFowle is simply setting up some sample signage to see how it looks. And then, while sifting through the 11 Times Square website, something shiny snagged our attention. We were hooked!

Hanging up high in the tower's lobby will be a kinetic sculpture by artist Tim Prentice, who creates mobile pieces in the tradition of Alexander Calder. The sculpture at 11 Times Square, a suspended set of thin metal panels shown in a render of the lobby, will undulate over the entryway, like a school of fishies floating in the air. Following those simulated critters takes us full circle, right back to where we started and wondering about the tenants to come.

11 Times Square [Official Site]
    Swim With the Times Square Fishes [Curbed]
    11 Times Square coverage [Curbed]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2010/0...nants.php#more

This might be my favorite to go up in the area since Conde Nast. (along with NYT Tower)

Is this building as conventional and boring as it seems to be?