Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879 LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1185

Thread: Times Square Plaza - 11 Times Square - 42nd St @ 8th Ave - by FX Fowle Architects

I'd prefer if the L shaped building and the 2 story building stayed and their development rights were sold to the owner of the parking lot. We'd get a taller narrower tower and more interesting streetscape.

The exterior neon ads on the Duane Reade are cool. I would just prefer another retailer and a small upgrade to the building, but don't mind the building being short. It could make a great Apple-type store. And the way ads are placed onto the L shaped building behind is interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

I'm not gonna buy into the we're talking numerous tenants hype that office developers have been pushing around lately until these new office buildings (Newsweek, 510 Madison, 7 WTC) are filled.
    It's not about filling them. It's about blocks of contiguous space. The only one that I am unclear on is 510 Madison. There appears to be a massive block of space there, although the building is probably not even a half million square feet, so it's only so large of a block. Smaller firms taking smaller chunks of spaces doesn't actually happen as much in brand new buildings. Usually some of the shine needs to come off, then smaller firms go in on bits and bobs. Really, any of these buildings need just one large block to go to be in the black.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I'd prefer if the L shaped building and the 2 story building stayed and their development rights were sold to the owner of the parking lot. We'd get a taller narrower tower and more interesting streetscape....
    I remember Jeff Sutton and someone else were going to redevelop this corner with the DR. I only like the building north of Show World. I really want to get rid of these parking lots.

That Duane Reade has been done over on the outside; the neons down and now it's in the new DR mode of Black and White and Blue ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR42nd_1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	13089

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR42nd_2.jpg 
Views:	1224 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	13090

Yuck. Now it looks even more unworthy of its location.

Dontcha know that ever since Duane Reade was bought by Walgreen's that DR has gone upscale?

Down this way we got one of the so-called DR flagship outlets, very snazzy inside the old + beautiful East River Savings Bank building -- even has a food bar (of sorts). Seems that DR has a fleet of flagships in downtown NYC.

Whatever, their in house line of snacks and other goodies (aimed at the NYU bunch, it seems) include the very tasty DR Good & Delish gluten free Ginger Snaps. A bargain - and tastier - if you use your DR Flex Rewards card.

Seems that DR has a fleet of flagships in downtown NYC.
    Most of them in midtown have been remodeled into the new version as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Dontcha know that ever since Duane Reade was bought by Walgreen's that DR has gone upscale?.
    The actually began remodeling the stores before the Walgreen acquisition

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eddhead View Post
    The actually began remodeling the stores before the Walgreen acquisition
    I was just going to say, Duane Reade "sephorafied" way before they agreed to a buy-out by Walgreens. Thank god Walgreens is going to eventually rebrand all that garbage. I haven't set foot in a Duane Reade in a long time, I refuse to buy anything there and go out of my way to find a CVS, Rite-Aid, or Walgreens

^
    Actually, I understand that they have no plans to rebrand. But my information is old and possibly dated.

I don't think Walgreens has any plans to rebrand Duane Reade. They're quite different retail concepts. Duane Reade has a very different selection and sales profile than Walgreens/Rite Aid/CVS.

And Walgreens is opening NYC Walgreens and NYC Duane Reades, sometimes in the same neighborhood. They continue to renovate the older Duane Reades.

If changing the entire color scheme and coming up with an in-house line of edibles and house ware products, all packaged using a new DR logo, isn't re-branding then I don't know what is.

For 30 years Duane Reade was Red and Blue. They've dumped that.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    If changing the entire color scheme and coming up with an in-house line of edibles and house ware products, all packaged using a new DR logo, isn't re-branding then I don't know what is.

For 30 years Duane Reade was Red and Blue. They've dumped that.
    I think we're talking about totally different things.

By rebranding, folks were speculating that Duane Reade was being acquired to enlarge the Walgreens footprint.

Obviously, the moves post-acquisition show the opposite is true. Duane Reade is being maintained as a separate brand.

If Duane Reade's were transformed into Walgreens outlets that wouldn't be rebranding. That would be wiping out the old identity all together to broaden the base & reach of the Walgreens brand.

Changing the face of the company with a new mark and look and product lines = re-branding.