Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverside South Development

I don't understand how folks can scream about buildings that are too fat & squat rather than tall & towering, but in the same breath those same folks complain if a building doesn't fill up the entire footprint of the buildable lot.

FAR rules, and if you use the square footage down low to hit the street wall then you've got to give away sf for what could be built higher up.

Id rather they were a little shorter with setbacks, or even sacrifice the open space and continue the street through if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It seems this plan is an improvement over the blocks to the north which, in an effort to avoid the dreaded "Towers in the Park" by leaving no space around the new buildings but instead building right to the sidewalk, have nevertheless created a veritable dead zone at street level.
    Seems to me the problem is there's nothing going on at sidewalk level, i.e. no shops. Isn't that because the zoning forbids it?

Isn't the zoning what it is because the residents want it that way? Don't they think shops attract riff-raff and traffic?

So you can have your choice of dead ground floors opening to lifeless sidewalk, or dead ground floors opening to lifeless (or menacing) parkland.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    It seems this plan is an improvement over the blocks to the north which, in an effort to avoid the dreaded "Towers in the Park" by leaving no space around the new buildings but instead building right to the sidewalk, have nevertheless created a veritable dead zone at street level.
    I don't think the choice of development style had much to do with the north neighborhood becoming a dead zone; it is more the existing geography.

Given the teardrop shape of the entire site, the north neighborhood is only 250 feet wide, and blocked on the east by the four block long Lincoln Towers. The area isn't attractive for retailers other than those that provide building services, such as a dry-cleaner. The only area that provides a sense of community is the park itself.

The southern neighborhood expands to about 800 feet, and will be fully connected to West End Ave. While retail is permitted in the R zone to the north, this site is zoned C4-7. It's the best opportunity to create a commercial focus for the entire neighborhood, and the present proposal misses it entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    It's the best opportunity to create a commercial focus for the entire neighborhood, and the present proposal misses it entirely.
    I bet the "community" is against shops.

Suburban thinking in midtown Manhattan.

Another look at the renderings...

I dont see much design intent in these buildings. I cant believe Pontzamparc designed them.

I like tower 4. The rest are pretty boring but I believe all the towers might be placeholders. I don't like the Towers in the Park design and would it kill them to build to the street wall and unlike the rest of Riverside South actually include some retail and cultural venues.

Question

How to you mean, placeholders?

I understand the need to keep the axial sight-line corridor free and wanting to bring in green space for a great common 'lawn' looking out to the river, but this plan is as incoherent as the (placeholder) buildings are middling. (What, no balconies overlooking the Hudson?!)

Last edited by Jasonik; December 1st, 2008 at 02:27 PM.

I like the layout. I think Potz is right on with this.

Blech. The only attractive aspect of these buildings is that they'll be new when they open. Their fundamentals -- namely, the fact that they are "towers in the park" -- are abysmal. These buildings may create hype and their units may command high selling prices, but only because of their novelty. In 20 years, we'll all think "what a mistake" when looking at this dross. Then we'll wait another 50 years while they decay, wanting to rip them down but unable because they're so goddamn big. Maybe by 2100 we'll have techniques to easily and safely tear down obsolete skyscrapers (in the park).

They're placeholders, not designs.

I think people are commenting on (nonexistent or presently unreleased) designs.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz View Post
    They're placeholders, not designs.

I think people are commenting on (nonexistent or presently unreleased) designs.
    Yeah, they want to leave enough open space so they can build the "Plaxico Burress Memorial Shooting Range and Convention Center" at a later date. It's a multi-use recreation center after all.

I don't see the problem with a little open green space around the towers. In fact, I think it would enhance them... manhattan needs all the concrete-free spacit can get. Unlike many, I don't spring to a negative conclusion if a tower does not abut the street directly or has a plaza or park in between - but then I admire cities that place open space (plazas, parks) as a top priority.