Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverside South Development

I'm curious what's going on between the back of 40RSB and the unnamed (Freedom Pl?) street to the east. Will it be lowrise for the whole block, or will there be a paired tower (not shown in the rendering), like the building(s) to the north?

According to the NY Times, it looks like the Collegiate School is moving in to this development.

After debating nearly seven years about where to move, the board of the Collegiate School, New York City’s oldest and one of its most prestigious private schools, announced Tuesday that it had purchased land for a new building between West 61st and 62nd Streets and between West End Avenue and Riverside Boulevard.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/nyregion/collegiate-school-new-yorks-oldest-private-school-plans-17th-move.html?emc=eta1&_r=0

Has anyone seen any plans for the school?

" ... and they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same ..."

It looks like their starting on the foundation for the building closest to Riverside Dr South, or maybe it is just a wall for the tunnel under Riverside Dr South.

Riverside Blvd is several blocks of very bland, boxy looking, residential towers: this run of mediocre architure will be the perfect foil to showcase a work of iconic architecture. So many projects to follow here on WNY: never a dull moment. Lol

Does anyone know what is going in that tunnel underneath riverside south?

Quote Originally Posted by Czervik.Construction View Post
    It looks like their starting on the foundation for the building closest to Riverside Dr South, or maybe it is just a wall for the tunnel under Riverside Dr South.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaMegro View Post
    There are two tunnels, I think.

Obviously the Amtrak/future Metro North rail line now runs in a tunnel here, and I believe they're building the right-of-way for a future road tunnel (assuming the surface highway will be replaced at some point).

Quote Originally Posted by ShaMegro View Post
    I did not know there is a tunnel there: but, I can see what appears to be a tunnel opening in the photo below showing the site excavation. If that tunnel runs all the way along RSB I would hope it could be put to some use: but, to answer your question, I have not heard anything about what is "going on" in that tunnel.

"Does anyone know what is going in that tunnel underneath riverside south?" Go to post #51 (page 4)

"and the unnamed (Freedom Pl?) street to the east." I believe that road is officially named 'Freedom Place South'

Thanks, I remember now some of the previous discussions on the topic - http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showth...t=3432&page=83

Excerpt - "Or, more precisely, a box for a highway.Maybe, years from now, the highway will be routed through the box. Maybe."

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by infoshare View Post
    I did not know there is a tunnel there: but, I can see what appears to be a tunnel opening in the photo below showing the site excavation. If that tunnel runs all the way along RSB I would hope it could be put to some use: but, to answer your question, I have not heard anything about what is "going on" in that tunnel.
    The line is used by Amtrak's Empire , Ethan Allen , Adirondack , and Maple Leaf Service's and of course future Metro North West side line and any High Speed Rail.

The Amtrak tracks are out of frame of the photo above to the east. They are in a tunnel under all of the new buildings, and will have a tunnel constructed around them for the Riverside South construction as well, since they are currently above ground.

Things are starting to move along quickly. The foundation for one of the new buildings seems to be ready and they seem to be doing a lot of work on extending 61st street. It also looks like they are working on the tunnel under Riverside Drive South as well. There is also more activity on the site of the second building (more soil removal), on West End Ave.