Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Riverside South Development

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by stache
    What is there now is a scaled down version of the original plan due to intervention by Nadler. Any further construction plans will be closely watched.
    I know all of that. The new buildings going up in that area are at the most, 400-500 feet tall. I'm talking about Hudson Yards, which is a completely different area 40 blocks to the south. Have you not figured that out yet?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Piano I don't understand why you're so crabby lately. Look at the title of this thread and please post about Hudson Yards somewhere else. Thanks.

The Dude Abides

What is that supposed to mean? Crabby? All I was doing is trying to make sure that you knew what I was talking about. The prospect of a Television City-style, Trump development in Hudson Yards was brought up, and all you're talking about is how Nadler doomed the project in the Upper West Side.

Good job, by the way, at pointing out that the thread isn't about Hudson Yards. I'm sure you never post anything off-topic. And it's not as if I was the only one raising the issue: lofter, SilentPandaesq, and NYGuy all referenced it in some way.

But, as you wish, this will be my last post about Hudson Yards in this thread. You're welcome.

I take some of the blame for that ^^ as I asked a specific question here about height in Hudson Yards ...

Often cross-informational posts are both beneficial and unavoidable as various areas / buildings do relate to each other.

Crabby is as crabby does.

Default typical for Nadler

Quote Originally Posted by JMGarcia View Post
    ...and because of that line Nadler cut the federal funding to depress the highway through the area so now we have a lovely elevated highway above the park.
    too bad he wont ever be voted out

Building 'I' foundation work started. Pile driving mania! Additionally, excavation for the through street connector at 64th street from West end has also begun.

Im happy Nadler didnt approve it. The highway was there first.

Default 80 Riverside Boulevard - The Rushmore

Developer:Extell Development Corporation
    Architect(s):Costas Kondylis and Partners
    Consultant(s):Unavailable
    Size: 41 floors, 289 units, 657,000 sq. ft
    Completion (est.): 2008

Initially part of the massive Trump Place complex along Riverside Boulevard, the Rushmore was sold to Extell, which modified some of the floor plans to create larger units. Rising from a massive, block-long base, the Rushmore’s twin towers echo a popular Upper West Side design motif, seen most recently at the Time Warner Center.

Another OK addition to Riverside Boulevard, where Costas rises to high-mediocre. Why does this development get such bad reviews on this forum? Is it because the ground floors are sterile? At least they're not bland slabs in a park like their neighbors.

The Dude Abides

From http://cityrealty.com/new_developments:

Marketing starts for the Rushmore at 80 Riverside Boulevard 19-SEP-06

Marketing has begun for The Rushmore, the 41-story, twin-towered residential condominium development at 80 Riverside Boulevard that occupies the blockfront between 64th and 63rdth Streets.

It is across 64th Street from The Avery, a 30-story condominium development and both are projects of the Extell Development Corporation on land it acquired from Donald Trump, who has developed several residential towers just to the north.

The Rushmore has been designed by Costas Kondylis and Partners, the architectural firm that has also designed the Avery and many of Mr. Trump’s projects.

The Rushmore has a 16-story base with corner windows at the north and south and a setback at the 4th floor in the center of the blockfront. The twin towers are setback and are joined at the lower three floors.

Mr. Kondylis has borrowed a stylistic treatment of the towers from Cesar Pelli’s World Financial Center at Battery Park City where the upper part of the towers have slightly protruding sections with different fenestration patterns.

Mr. Kondylis has kept his towers symmetrical and the protruding sections stop at the 34th story and the top five floors have a banded fenestration pattern reflecting the fact that are “penthouse” units.

A recent advertisement for the building showed the floor plan of the full-floor Penthouse A that is priced at $6,525,000 and it indicated that the apartment has an entrance gallery that leads to a very large living and dining room space with a fireplace and also has four bedrooms and a large family room and kitchen area facing the Hudson River.

The 425-foot-high Rushmore will have 289 one- to five-bedroom apartments priced from $1,000,000 to more than $7,000,000. Completion is planned for 2008.

The building will have 6 duplex apartments entered on the ground floor. Floors 2 and 3 will have 22 apartments. Floors 4, 5 and 6 will have 18 apartments. Floors 7 through 14 will have 10 apartments. Floors 15 through 17 will have 6 apartments. Floors 18 through 36 in each tower will have 2 apartments. Floors 37 through 41 in each tower will have one apartment.

The building will have a swimming pool, La Palestrina Fitness and Wellness Services, a 185-car garage, a children’s playroom designed by Kidville, NY, a billiards room, Abigail Michaels concierge, a bicycle room, and a theater and entertainment suite.

Residents will be offered a choice of three kitchen designs with fixtures by Sub-Zero, Viking, Miele and bathrooms will have fixtures by Kohler and Waterworks.

Re: Riverside South Park
    Quote Originally Posted by NYatKNIGHT View Post

The section just south of the last finished section is sort of like that - natural trees and plants, and rocks right down to the water. Is this a future part of the park, anyone? There is nothing but creepy camp sites and litter there now.
    The entire southernmost section of Riverside South Park (Phase 4) is now closed off to access and has been cleared of all trees / shrubs. The pathway has been moved inland, now running under the elevated roadway almost all the way down to 59th Street.

New dirt has been loaded into that area and work on the bulkhead / piers has begun.

The plan for Phase 4 ( nycgovparks.org / newsroom ):

... plans for the fourth phase of the park, which will include the installation of a restored 1940’s Alco S-1 switcher, donated by the New York Cross Harbor Railroad.This part of the park’s new design is slated to begin in late 2006, and will also include the construction of the Maritime Café on the 70th Street plaza and the restoration of the historic West 69th Street transfer bridge into a public pier and ferry landing.

This rail car has been loaded onto the site and is sitting on a short set of track surrounded by a cyclone fence ... painted a deep green ( British Racing Green ?) with bright yellow trim, kids of all ages are going to love this.

The US Army version (not the one in the park) of the Alco S-1 switcher:

According to their website, Christian de Portzamparc has been commisioned for 1MSF of developement in Riverside South. Christian de Portzamparc has had some tough luck here since LVMH, just check out all their canceled/postponed projects.

Christian de Portzamparc
    http://www.chdeportzamparc.com/

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

That is good news.

Portzamparc's works are beautiful and eyecatching, something New York lacks but desperately needs more of.

Who did the commissioning btw?

Interesting. I think one "signature" building could be what this development needs. A focal point. The buildings built so far aren't bad residential buildings, but, as it has been widely noted, the overall appearance of Riverside South seems too uniform.

However, "signature" should be relative to the surroundings. It's not Shanghai. I don't think something really bold would work here. Christian de Portzamparc seems like a good choice.

Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast