Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Woolworth Building - 233 Broadway - by Cass Gilbert

Two pics from my trip to NYC in summer 2004 ..

Awesome pictures, Thomas! I wouldn't seat beside that guy! No way!

Default color change on top!

i dunno if neone has noticed and/or knows y, but the top of the woolworth building is being painted from green to a white-greyish color. anyone know y?

if u look at the second picture, u can see how part of it is still green.

Sacrilege.

Default Woolworth conversion -- what's up??

Wow, maybe it's a "primer" coat?

A search or records at both Landmarks & City Planning turned up only one document: A single "Certificate of Appropriateness" (issued 12/2002):

http://search.citylaw.org/isysquery/irl392f/1/doc

Pursuant to Section 25-307 of the Administrative Code of the City of New York, the Landmarks Preservation Commission, at the Public Meeting of December 12, 2000 following the Public Meeting of October 31, 2000 and the Public Hearing and Public Meeting of July 25, 2000, voted to approve a portion of a proposal to create a master plan governing the future installation of storefronts and signage, to install louvers and skylights, and alterations to window openings at the tower and at the terraces at the subject premises, as put forward in your application completed in on July 25, 2000. This Certificate of Appropriateness is issued for the storefront master plan only ...

... staff reviewed the drawings and found that the installation of the louvers, skylights, and alterations to window openings at the tower and terraces are not being pursued at this time ...

At such time as these items are pursued, you must submit two signed and sealed copies of the Department of Buildings filing drawings for these items for the Landmarks Preservation Commission's review and approval prior to the commencement of work.

Upon receipt, review, and approval of the final Department of Buildings filing drawings for the penthouse additions and the glass canopy, a separate Certificate of Appropriateness will be issued for these items. Please note that the approval for these items will expire on December 12, 2006.

Anybody know what's going on with the Woolworth now????

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    you cant get in becasue the top 22 floors are being converted to residential
    A check of DOB records shows that the proposed conversion to residential on the upper floors has changed; the application states:

Owner: CORPORATION -- WITKOFF STEVEN PRESIDENT 233 BROADWAY OWNERS LLC 220 EAST 42ND STREET 212 672 - 4725 NEW YORK NY 10017

Job Description: CONVERT PARTS OF EXISTING OFFICE BUILDING TO SCHOOL. OBTAIN AMENDED CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY.

Comments: RESPECTFULLY REQUEST TO CHANGE ESTIMATE CONSTRUCTION COST FROM $5,000.000 (PREVIOUSLY FILED FOR THE CONVERSION OF OFFICE TO APARTMENTS ON FLOORS 29- 57, BUT NOW NO LONGER PROPOSED) TO $1,000 (REDUCED SCOPE OF WORK TO CONVERT OFFICES TO CLASSROOM ON FLOORS 2,3,&4).

well i know nyu has some classrooms there... but it still doesn't explain the paint job on the spires.

Quote Originally Posted by ddawg
    well i know nyu has some classrooms there... but it still doesn't explain the paint job on the spires.
    An NYU art class project perhaps?

I know why the woolworth's roof is changing color. I found out on lowermanhattan.info that the stuff on it
    is only a primer applied as part of the roof's routine maintenance. It will turn green as soon as all necessary repairs are completed.
    Last edited by expose05; July 10th, 2005 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by expose05
    I know why the woolworth's roof is changing color. I found out on lowermanhattan.info that the new is only a primer applied as part of the roof's routine maintenance. It will turn green as soon as all necessary repairs are completed.
    Whew!
    That's a relief -- thanks for the up-date.

Forum Veteran

That's a nice shot.

There is some sort loudness about the white. It was like, "you've noticed me for the last 90something years because, well, I'm the tallest thing in my area, but now I'm just an attention whore. Admire me!" I'll be glad when it goes back.

Seaboard Weatherproofing Lands Woolworth Restoration
    Westchester.com
    Monday, 18 July 2005
    Port Chester, NY - Seaboard Weatherproofing and Restoration has been retained to rehabilitate the decorative terra-cotta façade of the Woolworth Building in lower Manhattan. Construction recently commenced on the project.

The 60-story landmark building, completed in 1913, is a neo-Gothic masterpiece designed by Cass Gilbert. The scope of the project includes restoring damaged limestone on the first four floors, replacement and repair of over 400 decorative terra cotta stones, and resealing the joints of all copper mansard roofs.

“It is an honor to work on such a classic structure,” said Michael Y. Ahearn, President of Seaboard Weatherproofing and Restoration. “Historical restoration is one of our specialties and it doesn’t get much better than this.”

Called the “Cathedral of Commerce,” the Woolworth Building stood as the world’s tallest until the Chrysler Building surpassed it in 1930. The building served as the Woolworth Company’s headquarters until the retailer declared bankruptcy in 1997. Architect Cass

Gilbert also constructed 90 West Street which was heavily damaged in the 9-11 attack. Seaboard is in the final stages of restoring 90 West which was recently ranked number 14 by New York Construction Magazine’s Top 20 projects 2004-05.

The Woolworth Building is a New York City Landmark and all work must be approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, which ensures that exterior alterations are historically accurate. Seaboard takes great care in creating a watertight and sound façade for the future while respecting the history of every stone being repaired.

Seaboard is currently assisting the architect in façade inspections of the entire building envelope. Several new conditions are being uncovered, which Seaboard is working to resolve in consultation with the architect and the terra cotta manufacturer. Work on the building is expected to be completed by the end of 2005.

Seaboard Weatherproofing and Restoration is located at 530 Willett Avenue in Port Chester, NY. The Company recently celebrated their 60th anniversary in business.

Based in Port Chester, NY, Seaboard Weatherproofing and Restoration is one of the leading restoration and alteration construction firms in the New York City metropolitan area. For more information, please call (800) 347-7464.

I took these yesterday, and was going to ask if the spire is copper. All the info I found stated it was copper, but copper does not get painted.

I always thought the roof of Pier A was copper, but it is painted steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius
    Speaking of small floorplates, the GE building at 51st and Lex was apparently so unprofitable that it was donated to Columbia University. *Still, if I headed a small company, I'd love to stick my office up there.
    I think that is the most beautiful deco building I have seen.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast