Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Warren Street - Condo, Rentals - TriBeCa - by Skidmore, Ownings & Merrill

The tower will sit in the lower right corner. There will be a passageway between the tower and the St Johns building into the interior courtyard. The blank wall will remain visible.

A wing off the tower will extend up Warren St to a little beyond what was Washington St. There will be another opening into the courtyard. An L-shaped building will run along Greenwich and Murray to the St Johns building.

Default 101 Warren st...comments?

Just noticed that the 101 Warren St projects web site is up.
    I have to say when i first saw it i didnt like it, but i think its going to be great spaces...MHO

Here is a better rendering...

101 Warren Street:

Last edited by krulltime; March 25th, 2006 at 11:15 AM.

March 18, 2006:

Quote Originally Posted by harsaphes
    Just noticed that the 101 Warren St projects web site is up.
    I have to say when i first saw it i didnt like it, but i think its going to be great spaces...MHO
    Regrettable building architecture aside, I think the project will correct a long-standing problem in the immediate area - no street activity after business hours.

101 Barclay is the biggest offender. Despite huge sidewalks on three sides, nothing is offered to the street except a few planters, trees, and bike racks.
    An opportunity was lost at Fiterman Hall. Assuming it ever gets demolished, it will return as a CUNY facility. I think it would have been a perfect spot for a mixed-use collaboration between CUNY and a private developer. Where was Mike Bloomberg?

Hopefully, site 5b will bring some street life to the area.

Totally agree. Ground level retail should be mandatory in the area -- and once there's a Whole Foods and a Borders (?) in 5B, there will probably be a lot of demand for ground floor retail.

Totally agree that Fiterman replacement should be multipurpose.

My idea (and I know it's very unlikely to happen) would be to extend BPC north, up to about the Citigroup building. There's nothing residential that fronts West St up to there, so no residents should be upset about this. Put a Fiterman replacement across West St from the current BMCC site (linked with another skybridge). That would keep the BMCC campus more compact. There would easily be room in the new part of BPCC for more residential plus ballfields.

Then Fiterman could be turned over to a commercial developer, and the existing ballfields on BPC could be developed -- and given their location across from the new Goldman Sachs building they'd yield a pretty penny. This would also tie BPC closer into the rest of downtown.

I think you could do this for significant net increase in park/playing fields, plus it would still probably pay its way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Regrettable building architecture aside, I think the project will correct a long-standing problem in the immediate area - no street activity after business hours.

101 Barclay is the biggest offender. Despite huge sidewalks on three sides, nothing is offered to the street except a few planters, trees, and bike racks.
    An opportunity was lost at Fiterman Hall. Assuming it ever gets demolished, it will return as a CUNY facility. I think it would have been a perfect spot for a mixed-use collaboration between CUNY and a private developer. Where was Mike Bloomberg?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Zippy, you know I agree with you there, but I have one question (well, not really a question but more of a comment). Isn't that what these community groups really want anyway? You know, tranquility, open spaces, trees, no crowds, no heavy traffic, no noise and all the pleasant characteristics that development will invariably take away? You know they would have been happy if nothing was done here other than maybe a school and a grocery store.

Unfortunately they're not getting a school -- although it is desperately needed.

Even more so as these new buildings go up.

A Downtown Neighborhood Struggling for Services

NY Times
    Letters
    March 26, 2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/26/re...te/26lett.html

To The Editor:

Residents of TriBeCa are watching with alarm as new developments like 101 Warren Street, a "downtown Time Warner Center" (Big Deal, March 19), bring hundreds of additional families to a neighborhood where overcrowded schools are already stretched beyond their limits.

Louise Sunshine, the marketing guru, has great optimism for filling the 228 condominiums with buyers, but does her offering plan mention that there is no more room in TriBeCa to send children to kindergarten?

The well-regarded Public School 234, adjacent to the property, is already at 120 percent capacity. Mayor Bloomberg recently pulled the plug on his promise to build a new elementary school on Beekman Street. His reversal also eliminated the planned annex for P.S. 234, desperately needed to ease its overcrowding.

Both of these promises were used by City Hall to garner the blessing of Community Board 1 for the development at 101 Warren Street, which, including the 163 rental units, will bring nearly 400 families to TriBeCa.

The city has helped Lower Manhattan realize a veritable real estate boom since 9/11, but it has failed in its obligation to support these same downtown neighborhoods where thousands of families are already struggling for basic services.

The stylish design of a new apartment building, with high concept forests and a Whole Foods store, shouldn't be the only bait to lure buyers downtown.

They will also need a neighborhood capable of welcoming new residents to their streets. The picture on the brochure doesn't tell that part of the story.

Nelle Fortenberry
    TriBeCa

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    [SIZE=6]...there is no more room in TriBeCa to send children to kindergarten...

The well-regarded Public School 234, adjacent to the property, is already at 120 percent capacity.
    What does this actually mean? They won't let you send your kid to school or the classes will be big and the classrooms crowded (big deal)?

They need another school. What else could it mean?

It means that they are forced to use storage rooms for class rooms. That those classes are overcrowded. That kids are being short-changed. That Pataki is playing games with state funds due to NYC. That developers are playing bait and switch. That we are failing to provide for kids.

Feel free to add to the list...

By the way, both the PS 234 annex and the Beekman school will get funded.

Maybe it will...

B&N books space with Whole Foods

Published on March 27, 2006

Barnes & Noble is heading downtown to Edward J. Minskoff's new development at 270 Greenwich Ave., at the corner of Warren Street.

The book and music seller has signed a 20-year lease for 38,000 square feet in the L-shaped building.

The Barnes & Noble will open above a Whole Foods grocery store when the building is completed in summer 2007.

"With all the activity downtown, it's just a great neighborhood for Barnes & Noble," says Robert Futterman, chairman of the eponymous real estate brokerage that represented the bookstore in the deal. He says Barnes & Noble chose the location because it offered a single-level site, a rarity in Manhattan's tight retail market.

The 35-story building will feature a gym, a spa, and condos above the retail space.

Mr. Minskoff plans to divide the building's remaining 50,000 square feet of retail space and is negotiating with several national retailers. Industry insiders say that a Bed Bath & Beyond is eyeing one of the spaces. About 5,000 square feet of ground-floor space is available at an asking rent of $200 per square foot.

--Elisabeth Butler

©2006 Crain Communications Inc.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The 35-story building will feature a gym, a spa, and condos above the retail space.
    35 stories? It sure does a good job at looking a lot shorter.

Here, judge for yourself. Does this look like 35 stories to you?

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast