Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Warren Street - Condo, Rentals - TriBeCa - by Skidmore, Ownings & Merrill

At 428 feet (DOB) it's tall for a 35 story res. building also.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Does this look like 35 stories to you?
    Bad proportions.

God, that building is ugly.

The parts that aren't ugly are boring.

Bet its Godfathers are NIMBYs. When it's built they'll have reason to hate it.

Plus the top 3 floors are set back and have a glassy look that blends with the sky in the renderings.

It sure is ugly ... reminiscent in the facade treatment of alternating window placements to another downtown favorite:

Javits Federal Building
    http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/so...ry09_29_05.php

Says something about the towers on West St at 200 Chambers and 101 Warren making Battery Park City feel cut off.

Much less so than the empty lots that were/are there currently.

Ugly and boring architecture. This is our NY destiny in the early 21st century.
    Oh, and overpriced big chain retailers. What an exciting and unique city we are creating.

Ooooh ... an "ART-rium" for the residents ... a PRIVATE forest cut off from the neighborhood ...

All fine and well and good for those who live there.

Besides adding to the tax base and offering some shopping options this is not very attractive from the outside and adds very little to the surrounding area (eeek -- I'll get jumped on for that last comment!).

It's not a masterpiece. And it isn't unique.
    But I don't think it's that bad. Better than the majority of the residential towers going up in the city right now.
    Is boring always bad?

The Wholefoods will transform the neighborhood, and in a good way. I'll probably not be living here by then, but if I was still here, I'd welcome it with open arms. There's a palatial lack of decent groceries around here (the only other one I'm aware of is the Food Emporium in Independence Plaza, and it takes a dire emergency for me to darken the door of a Food Emporium).

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    Ugly and boring architecture. This is our NY destiny in the early 21st century.
    Oh, and overpriced big chain retailers. What an exciting and unique city we are creating.

Honestly, every neighbourhood in the borough could use a Whole Foods calibre store. Manhattan has been saddled with inadequate purveyors of groceries for far too long. The bodega is fine for a quick need, but serious shopping requires a serious store, with standards somewhat higher than Gristedes or Associated Foods.

14th St & 8th Ave

Great, but that's hardly in the lower Tribeca/north BPC nabe...

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    14th St & 8th Ave

The pictures show an example of what was being discussed, grocery stores of "high calibre". Can't find a better example than that!
    We all know that's way to far to schlep from BPC for vittles. Enjoy your Whole Foods Market, it will be great for downtown. It's a big chain I don't mind as much since we've always been underserved in Manhattan when it comes to decent grocery stores.
    My previous post was directed more at some of the other chains.

Default Movin in

I think the limestone facade of the building is beautiful and harks back to the days of quality pre war construction. I also was shocked to hear that the chimp guy advocates the "development" of our pristine ballfields. They are perfect as they are. This development has beautiful family friendly apartments, and it is a "big deal" to those of us who have children that our kids not be crammed into cellar spaces to suffer class sizes of 30 or more. I am sure you wouldn't wish that on yourselves or your own children. I want to support the public education system, and only ask that it provide reasonable amenities for all children. I am a buyer!

What "chimp guy" are you talking about?