Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 101 Warren Street - Condo, Rentals - TriBeCa - by Skidmore, Ownings & Merrill

Is there any more info on this development? I haven't heard anything new on this for a while..

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by NYCResident
    Is there any more info on this development? I haven't heard anything new on this for a while..
    Nope. Not sure if this will happen, or a new developer and/or project will be chosen. This was stated a few posts earlier.

The site has a history of failed development - Drexell Burnham, the Commodity Exchanges.

Quote Originally Posted by billyblancoNYC
    Not sure if this will happen, or a new developer and/or project will be chosen. This was stated a few posts earlier.
    It will happen. The city is pushing this development (particularly because its residential) and seeking a developer...Minskoff wants to stay on, but we'll just have to see what the city does...

JUNE 19th, the 270 Greenwich St development will rise on this parking lot...

A view down Greenwich Street towards the looming 7 WTC...(parking lot on the right)

Forum Veteran

Nothing will happen on this site till a deal is made at site 5-c

Forum Veteran

I hope SOM's atrocious design is not being considered.

yes, another box in downtown. :x

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    I hope SOM's atrocious design is not being considered.
    Doubtful, as it will now be a residential building. But there's a chance Minskoff could still be a developer...

Not so great news for the site, but good for Downtown...

(Tribeca Trib)

Development Talks for Sites 5B and 5C Down to the Wire

by Carl Glassman

It was looking less like a negotiation and more like a game of chicken late last month as City Councilman Alan Gerson and Bloomberg administration officials sought a last-minute agreement over massive new residential construction proposed for Tribeca.

Development plans for two city-owned parcels near P.S. 234, Sites 5B and 5C, have been the focus of complex negotiations for months.

On Sept. 9, following two days of committee hearings and concluding a required 60-day review process, the City Council is scheduled to vote on the sale of one of those sites, 5C at West and Chambers Streets, to developer Scott Resnick.

But much more is at stake than Resnick's plans for a 300-foot-high apartment tower.

Community leaders and city officials appear to have reached an agreement on Resnick's project.
    It is expected to include a 300-foot-high residential tower, nearly 28,000 square feet of space for a community center (with a 75-foot pool) run by Manhattan Youth, and a 10-classroom pre-k and kindergarten feeder school. Though important financial details were yet to be worked out, Gerson and Community Board 1 representatives said they were pleased with the deal after much haggling over the size of the community center (now more than twice what Resnick originally offered) and the height of the building (100 feet shorter than first proposed).

The catch is that the city has plans for a much bigger project-which faces more resistance from the community-on the larger Site 5B, bordered by Greenwich, Warren, Murray and West Streets.

City officials have linked the negotiations on the two sites. Looking to avert future community opposition to the large-scale development on Site 5B, community leaders said the city wants them to agree in advance to the size and placement of the apartment buildings that the designated developer, Edward Minskoff, will put there.

And the community has its own demand: a commitment from the city to build a k-8th grade school east of Broadway, to relieve the pressure on P.S. 234 when families move into all those new apartments.

"We are not going to allow any development without assurance of the school," Gerson said.

All this appeared hopelessly unresolved as time ticked away in the waning days of summer, when many of the principals in the negotiations were not even in the city.

In an Aug. 30 letter to Deputy Mayor Daniel Doctoroff, who heads the city's side of the negotiations, CB1 chairwoman Madelyn Wils said it would be a "prudent path" to finalize an understanding on Site 5C and defer discussion on 5B.

But as the Trib went to press on Sept. 3, it was unclear how the administration would proceed. Would it be willing to go ahead with an agreement with the community on 5C-community center and all-without one on 5B? Would it withdraw the land sale from a vote altogether, leaving an agreement on 5C up in the air?

"We're going to have no comment on that," said a spokeswoman for Doctoroff.

"I am prepared to kill the whole thing if it is not satisfactory to the community," declared Gerson, who said he believed the City Council would back him if he made good on his threat to oppose the sale.

Two years ago, Minskoff met stiff community resistance when he proposed a 600-foot-tall office tower for Site 5B. Having scrapped that plan, he now wants to build a residential/retail complex.

In a telephone interview, Minskoff said he intends to build "two residential towers and a retail pavilion connecting the two." He said that his project, which would be designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill, would include two floors of retail. "We're working on the tenant mix right now," he said.

According to people familiar with the negotiations on Site 5B, the city is proposing a height limit of 370 feet on West Street, 245 feet on Murray Street between Greenwich and Washington Streets and 135 feet on Greenwich Street between Warren and Murray.

Wils said the tallest tower could be acceptable because it would be perpendicular to West Street, minimizing its shadow on Washington Market Park and its impact on river views. But she called the 245-foot building, with half its apartments at below-market rents, "very unsatisfactory."

Gerson said an administration proposal faxed to him on Aug. 27 left the two sides even further apart. The city added another building to the mix and pushed for a shallower setback for the building on Greenwich Street, he said.

"We don't know if [the proposal] is coming from the developer or the administration but I want to get to the bottom of this," Gerson said.

Community negotiators said they have been pushing for an "upscale" food store on the site. Minskoff promised only "retail uses that are absent right now."

"There will always be somebody who will be disappointed," said the developer, who claimed to be detached from the negotiations. "But the majority will be happy."

Why is it that "Community members" have such a hard problem with large projects in NYC!? I mean, you live IN A CITY FOR FREAKING SAKE, there are going to be skyscrapers all around you!!!! Gte over it!!! Is this just NY or do other citites go through this B.S. too?

The 2 sites have an extensive history of bad blood between the city and the community. The battle has taken on a momentum all it's own.

The main problem is the school that sits across the street. 5B and 5C are the last city owned vacant plots in lower Manhattan. The city tried to maximize profits in the 80s by selling the land to Drexel Burnham, an investment company that threatened to leave NYC. Besides permission to build a hugh office tower, they were offered a sizable tax incentive. The community fought the project. In the meantime, Drexel had their own problems with Michael Milken, the junk bond king. Milken went to jail and Drexel went bankrupt.

Next up was the commodity exchanges, who also threatened to leave the city. The city offered site 5B, the community resisted. The NYMEX was built in BPC, and nobody left.

Minskoff actually shot himself in the foot by taking advantage of the turmoil of 09/11. I forget exactly what it was, but a ruling regarding the site expired unnoticed soon after 09/11, and Minskoff was able to increase the height of his commercial building. This galvanized community opposition.

I hope this explains the "BS" to you.

In my opinion, if the city had originally transferred 5C to the school/community as a bargaining concession, they probably could have gotten what they wanted on the larger 5B. Now the fight goes on, and the school is overcrowded.

Banned Member

When you consider these developments along with the two new buildings across West Street in BPC, there is a big influx of residents. I would support their negotiation for expanded school facilities - a new school to be exact. However, the people in that particular section of CB1 come off as snobs more interested in protecting their views and keeping their public schools "elite". Each time I read anything of CB1, I almost always find something underlying their argument that, for lack of a better catch-all decription, I would call "obnoxious".

Not only that, but when you consider how close these sites are to the Freedom Tower and the new Goldman Sachs tower, its borderline absurd.

I always felt that was the wrong location for that school though...

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    Not only that, but when you consider how close these sites are to the Freedom Tower and the new Goldman Sachs tower, its borderline absurd
    That indicates that the issue is not views, but the proximity of the school. The school was built when the entire area was slated for residential development.

Forum Veteran

Site 5-B is so large that any use but a office building for a financial firm is a waste, its perfect size for trading floors on the lower floors just like the BPC site for Goldman.

Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast