Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: World Trade Center Collapse Theories

Default World Trade Center Collapse Theories

So many speculations on how the WTC collasped. But Im just wondering, if they had built the original WTC with a concrete core, would it have had a chance to withstand the attacks?

It had a concrete core.

The design was a concrete core with a metal exterior shell. One life-saving addition was the "hat" truss on the top that I believe was added (I am not sure) to help increase the stiffness of the building. This acted as a temporary load transver cantelever beam when the perimeter columns were taken out.

Thing is, as the remaining columns got hotter and hotter, their stiffness was compromised and they eventually buckled and failed.

If it was not for the redundant design, however, they would not have stood at all after impact.

As for a 100% concrete structure, I do not think that is 100% possible even now for a building of that height. One MAJOR reason, besides strength of material, would be creep shrinkage of that much concrete over a long term. Having some members with large stresses and others with small over such a long length would promote differential deflection (shortening) over time and cause a problem during the buildings lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    It had a concrete core.
    This is completely incorrect as far as i know, from countless hours research and study and documentaries of the collapse i would say with absolute confidence they did not have concrete cores. It was steel with dry wall. check out some construction images, do you ever see a concrete core?

Alonzo is right about the drywalled core. A window washer and some people trapped in an express elevator in the North Tower on 9/11 were able to break thru the sheetrock w/ his squeege to a bathroom on the 50th floor and escape.

If the core was concrete, that would be a diff. story

Just look at the Windsor-Madrid fire, since their concrete core survived, chances are possible. But due to the force it seems doubtful.

If memory serves me right 7wtc and boa are the first buildings in new york to be built with a concrete core. Great link^

Random Personality

I always thought that WTC was all steel and no concrete. All the documentaries on it never mentioned concrete, but drywall core (if you can call it that). Supposedly if there had been a concrete core the plane would not have damaged the core as much.
    Last edited by ramvid01; April 16th, 2007 at 08:11 PM. Reason: no clue why I didnt finish my thoughts ??

Ninjahedge is this you?

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    I always thought that WTC was all steel and no concrete. All the documentaries on it never mentioned concrete, but drywall core (if you can call it that). Thats why the plane parts
    You are right, though the only concrete in the building were on the floorplates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
    As for a 100% concrete structure, I do not think that is 100% possible even now for a building of that height. One MAJOR reason, besides strength of material, would be creep shrinkage of that much concrete over a long term. Having some members with large stresses and others with small over such a long length would promote differential deflection (shortening) over time and cause a problem during the buildings lifetime.
    Burj Dubai is an all concrete construction.

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Burj Dubai is an all concrete construction.
    To a certain height. Then its a all steel towards the top of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by ramvid01 View Post
    To a certain height. Then its a all steel towards the top of the building.
    To my knowledge only the spire will be steel. It doesn't matter though, my point was only that it is not impossible to make a building the height of the WTC an entirely concrete structure. Right now the Burj Dubai is currently at 455 meters to the 413 meters of the former WTC, at this point in its currently it is an all concrete construction. Also the Petronas Towers are a concrete construction, sans the steel spires.

I think the only major limitation for concrete construction is the distance in which the concrete must be pumped. They solved this problem on the Burj Dubai by injecting coolants into the concrete to delay its hydration and hardening.

Forum Veteran

the col hard to truth is no matter how it was built, nothing at that time nor now is built to withstand the impact of a fully fueled 747 airplane

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast