Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Jets Stadium on West Side

Default Bloomberg: *new stadium for Manhattan's Westside

Apparantly there's a lot of high-tech environmental design going in to it. *I think they're saying that it has the potential to generate power as well as host stadium functions.

It is disapointingly square. *Stadiums are often an opportunity for cities to put up something trully futuristic and UFO-like, but KPF took the safe route.

Are there chances for modifications of the design? You're right...it's too square for me.

Well, its construction won't start before a while. I do like the transparencies. It looks rather open to the river and the city.

Interesting design, looks pretty good. How does it fit into the NYC 2012 overall plan? It looks like it would just host football and possibly arena-size events like basketball if used for the olympics......the stadium is too small to accommodate an athletics track even with moving tiers. There does not seem to be much space beside it for other venues, warm up facilites etc. I am guessing that the venues for the 2012 bid would be spread out all over the city, and not just in a single location?? Does anybody know if any other details of the bid are public right now?

Quote: from Fountainhead on 5:36 am on Mar. 3, 2003
    Interesting design, looks pretty good. How does it fit into the NYC 2012 overall plan? It looks like it would just host football and possibly arena-size events like basketball if used for the olympics......the stadium is too small to accommodate an athletics track even with moving tiers. There does not seem to be much space beside it for other venues, warm up facilites etc. I am guessing that the venues for the 2012 bid would be spread out all over the city, and not just in a single location?? Does anybody know if any other details of the bid are public right now?
    The pictures in the post were just renderings. *The real stadium will look different and probably have more features. *The stadium could also be modified for the oympics with temporary additions. *This project is till a couple of years off because the Jets lease at Giants stadium doesn't end until 2008.

Thanks Evan, I am particularly interested in this project because I am an architect in a firm that specializes in stadia! I am currently working on a design competition for the main olympic stadium in Beijing (100K seats in olympic mode), and I am always keen to see what is coming up! It just seems like this stadium is not envisaged to host athletics, as it is being designed primarily for football - so I was just wondering what other stadia are planned to be used for the NY games bid, as it takes more than just one stadium to host an olympics

Stadiums can be altered , Turner Field in Atlanta was the Venue for the 1996 Olympics. After the Games the fiedl was altered to make it a baseball stadium for the Atlanta Braves.

Forum Veteran

Fountainhead....

www.nyc2012.com

Forum Veteran

I used to live in Seattle and was adamantly against the new Mariner's baseball stadium there. *It was largely publicly financed and pretty much forced down the throats of the public (as most things are). *I was completely against it at the time.

After it was built, however, I changed my tune. *It was amazing...and a great place to see a game. *It was worth it, and I was wrong.

Here, there are different issues of course. * This stadium appears to have a major financer - good. *It is not going to require the major destruction of standing buildings, because it is being placed over rail yards. *It is a huge boost to a NYC olympic bid.

I don't live in that neighborhood, but I've been through it many times. *It sure looks like it would be an improvement.

Its so interesting to hear people living there complain about increased traffic! *It's the center of the city! *That's what the infrastructure was built for - traffic.

If built it will be the new home for the NY Jets after the Olympics, though I wouldn't care much b/c I don't really follow any football.

Quote: from billyblancoNYC on 11:48 am on Mar. 3, 2003
    Fountainhead....

www.nyc2012.com
    now, it all makes sense!!

thanks

Nice alias, Fountainhead.
    You also could have called yourself Howard Roark.

Welcome to the board.

yea everybody got the fountainhead reference chris. *

don't be ostentatious.

Me ostentatious?

As your 2nd post ever to the forum you "confront" a longstanding member over the phrasing of how I choose to politely greet another new member... and then label me the ostentatious one. That's rich!

No, you're not ostentatious pal, you're an _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

(Edited by chris at 3:45 pm on Mar. 5, 2003)

hey now...

Lets not get riled up, we're all friends here.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast