Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed Jets Stadium on West Side

Default Bloomberg: *new stadium for Manhattan's Westside

The area next to Shea Stadium will be used for the new Mets
    home, when they decide to build it. Combination football/baseball stadiums don't work well. The vast junkyards to the east of Shea were considered, but they are a toxic wasteland, and cleanup would be long and expensive.

If the city wins the 2012 Olympics, the preferred (by Doctoroff at least) location for the Olympic stadium is the west side railyards.

The Jets and NFL have stated that they would pay for most (I
    don't know what most is) of the stadium if the city builds the platform over the railyards.

There will not be parking facilities for 30,000 cars as in the Meadowlands.

Supposedly, the stadium will be multiuse, able to accommodate convention functions, concerts, basketball, and hockey.

Default Bloomberg: *new stadium for Manhattan's Westside

Woody Johnson has committed to put up $600 Million of his own money, the City is going to pay for the deck above the rail yards which the stadium will be built upon and other various infastructure improvements.

Businessweek...
    http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...9011_db038.htm

A New York State of Mind for the Jets
    The NFL franchise is set to announce a $1 billion Manhattan stadium that the Big Apple hopes will ultimately help land the Olympics

The Jets are flying back to New York. The National Football League team that has been playing across the Hudson River in Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., for 19 years is expected to announce in the next two months that it will build a $1 billion, retractable-dome stadium on Manhattan's West Side, BusinessWeek has learned. The stadium would be a big boost to New York's bid to host the 2012 Olympics.

Under owner Robert Wood "Woody" Johnson IV, an heir to the Johnson & Johnson (JNJ ) fortune, the Jets will pay for the bulk of the project, with taxpayers footing a still-undetermined bill for infrastructure, including transportation upgrades. The new stadium, which will also serve as a convention center and arena, will be built on a platform to be constructed over Midtown rail yards between Penn Station and the Hudson River on Manhattan's West Side. The NFL would provide some financing through a special loan program for new stadium construction.

SUBWAY DELIVERY. A proposal for a West Side stadium was first trumpeted by former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani in the late 1990s, when the New York Yankees were threatening to abandon the Big Apple. Mayor Michael Bloomberg was less enthusiastic at first but, along with Governor George Pataki, he has since embraced the idea, hoping it will help win the Olympic games and even possibly a Super Bowl. The International Olympics Committee will vote on the site for the 2012 games in 2005.

City officials have estimated that such a complex could eventually generate $2 billion a year in new tax revenues. Nearly 70% of those attending Jets games would use public transportation to get to the stadium, according to economic development officials.

Spokespersons for the Jets, Bloomberg, and Pataki declined to comment about an announcement, but sources say Jets President Jay Cross, hired in 2000 to help get a stadium deal done, has made great strides in recent months. Cross helped the National Basketball Assn.'s Toronto Raptors and the Miami Heat build new arenas. A Manhattan stadium announcement could come before the end of the NFL season in January, say sources.

ONE RING. The Jets would play their first season in Manhattan in 2009 under the plan. The team's lease at Giants Stadium in the New Jersey Meadowlands complex expires in 2008. The Jets earlier this year opted out of participating in a $300 million renovation of that stadium.

Struggling this year with a 3-6 record, the Jets made the American Football Conference playoffs last year, but have made only one Super Bowl appearance -- a dramatic victory in 1969 -- in their 40-year history. Under owner Johnson, the team now hopes a return to Gotham will change the course of history.

Awesome!!! 8)

DAILY NEWS...

Mike: Stadium deal closer

By MICHAEL SAUL

Mayor Bloomberg is looking to bring some greenery to Manhattan's West Side - as in Gang Green.

Bloomberg said yesterday he's hopeful the city will soon strike a deal with the New York Jets to build a stadium there.

The administration is proposing to expand the Javits Convention Center and construct the stadium for the Jets nearby. The stadium is a major component of the city's bid for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games.

"If I can get the Jets to help pay for part of the Javits Center expansion and all they've got to do is use it eight Sundays a year, that would be a great deal for the city," Bloomberg said yesterday on his weekly radio show.

A spokesman for the Jets declined to comment yesterday, but the mayor said he's hopeful a deal will be struck within the next year.

Others have said that an announcement may be only months away.

Bloomberg said the area surrounding the convention center is "phenomenally valuable" and needs to be developed.

To make the neighborhood more accessible, the city is moving forward with plans to extend the No. 7 line from Times Square to the far West Side.

The city's Olympic bid calls for a stadium to be built for the opening and closing ceremonies and the track and field events.

The city, however, won't find out until 2005 whether it will be the Olympic host city.

Forum Veteran

the stadium is a good idea bnut the seven line extension and Javits expasion are the keys to this area being redeloped

Forum Veteran

One subway line will not be enough to provide sufficient access to a 40 million square-foot business district. I've heard that there are plans for a light rail or monorail loop around the perimeter of the development area.

Forum Veteran

yeah i heard they will loop the seven train from 34th and iith back to the new Penn Station. Is it really 40 million sf of space, i thought there would be more residntial buildings then commercial space

Forum Veteran

I think 40 office and 12 residential. Nice.

In addition to the 7, there might be a light rail, above ground train looping around 42nd down to 34st, I think.

This is the kind of thing that i like to hear, giant projects that involve creating a whole new area.

Quote Originally Posted by billyblancoNYC
    I think 40 office and 12 residential. Nice.

In addition to the 7, there might be a light rail, above ground train looping around 42nd down to 34st, I think.
    I think its 28 office and 12 residential, but I could be wrong. One good thing about the location of the new stadium: It would be over the LIRR rail yards, where shuttles could easily be run from Penn Station on game days. But its also just a short walk from Penn Station, which no doubt the majority of people would probably do rather than cram a crowded train.

My initial enthusiasm for the stadium has changed to acceptance as a last resort. The key to the project is development over the railyard, and with the stadium, the city gets NFL funding for a facility that can be used as convention space.

A more integrated design would be to expand the convention center, with possibly a park on top that connects to the waterfront. The funding, as stated in an article, could be done with Liberty bonds.

Considering the Olympics, the stadium makes more sense in Flushing Meadow. Corona Park is already part of the planning by
    NYC2012.
    As for the Jets, if they are willing to partially fund a stadium on the West Side, why not in Flushing?

In my opinion, the proposed stadium is unremarkable in design, and seems to be constrained by its location. Perhaps something more interesting can be developed in an open area.
    http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewt...35&start=0

Here's a new rendering of the Jets Stadium and another of that mysteriously tall tower:

Forum Veteran

It looks like Union Square in Hong Kong.

Forum Veteran

Ive heard the city plans, 30 million sf and over 4,000 new aprtments

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast