Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Skyline

Default Downtown Skyline

Despite the loss of the WTC, the Downtown skyline is still strong as it awaits the next 1,000 footer. *A couple of photos from nycfoto.com...

Default Downtown skyline...

Still pretty damn flabbergasting, but that chunky complex calls for something to bully it.

The way downtown is photographed is totally different.
    The second picture is taken from an angle that had been mostly ignored for decades.

wow. Those are really good pics. They really show that downtown still has a great skyline without the world trade center. But the World Financial Center looks all alone and somewhat misplaced now. Once we get a new World Trade Center, that will change.

(Edited by NYC kid at 12:39 pm on Nov. 10, 2002)

Downtown is still "skyscraper national park" as far as I'm concerned. *What better place to host the Skyscraper Museum. *Every skyscraper lover should explore those narrow canyons of concrete and steel (better on the weekend).

The new WTC will dominate again, hopefully something worthy of this magnificent skyline!

I agree with NYguy. Downtowns skyscrapers are really close together which gives it a "canyon affect" as I call it.
    I love that.

yes indeed, i agree, allthough i would not mind if it was either downtown or midtown, the two most dense areas of this city, and most of the world.

Downtown needs an observation deck! They ought to reopen the one at 70 Pine until a proper one is built.
    Quote: from Fabb on 8:00 am on Nov. 10, 2002
    The way downtown is photographed is totally different.
    The second picture is taken from an angle that had been mostly ignored for decades.
    You're right - no one lined up a shot of downtown without the twin towers in full view, and angles that were REALLY ignored were those that lined the twin towers up so it looked like one.

good idea about the observation deck, however i do not think the deck at 70 Pine is large enough to hold the crowds that would inevitably flock to it.

That's what I thought, too.
    Besides, one of the best skyscrapers in the district would be invisible : 70 Pines Street itself.

Why not open to the public one of the flat roofs, 55 Water Street, to name one ?

Wihout the Wordld Trade Center, the skyline looks empty. *The skyline looks flat, because most of the buildings are around the same height. *I hope NYC not only builds big with the new WTC, but with other projects too.

Quote: from Evan on 5:16 pm on Nov. 11, 2002
    Wihout the Wordld Trade Center, the skyline looks empty. *The skyline looks flat, because most of the buildings are around the same height. *
    The skyline looks flat? *Look at the pics!

Forum Veteran

Quote: from Fabb on 4:27 pm on Nov. 11, 2002
    That's what I thought, too.
    Besides, one of the best skyscrapers in the district would be invisible : 70 Pines Street itself.

Why not open to the public one of the flat roofs, 55 Water Street, to name one ?
    Wouldn't Chase Manhattan Plaza be a better place for an observation deck? *It's right in the middle of the Financial District, and is a lot taller than 55 Water. *I believe the top floor is used as a private lounge for Chase executives, though...

Default Downtown Skyline

View of downtown out of my apartment window

(Edited by Eugenius at 6:17 pm on June 24, 2003)

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast