Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Skyline

Default Downtown Skyline

Well, I don't mean to sound like a grump, but the only part of the design that hasn't disappointed me is the fact that NYC will have the world's tallest building again. It means a lot to me, as someone who is proud of, and very fond of our fair city. However, besides the height of the tower, the rest of the design is a disappointment. So as long as we get that little bragging right back, the rest is just trading mediocrity for mediocrity. Just build the damn thing and get it over with. I'm hoping someone else someday has the balls to build another supertall downtown that we can be more proud of. (Trump? You listening? Think you can get that wtb of yours going?)

Default Downtown Skyline

I'm disappointed in the tower's height. It doesn't necessarily have to be the world's tallest, but it should at least look taller than the twin towers, which I'm not sure it is (I don't count the spire). And if they're claiming to build the world's tallest, great! But they're relying on hundreds of feet of needle thin spire to claim part of the height that pushes it over the top. That's so lame. If they're going for world's tallest, then let there be no argument.

(Edited by NYatKNIGHT at 1:19 pm on July 2, 2003)

Default Downtown Skyline

YES, and beef up the floor plates on the higher levels, if they want to maximize window offices, make more corners, or make it long in one dimension. It could be interesting to have either skinny or wide views depending on vantage point.

All I ever see in the Freedom Tower is The Illinois.

'Danny' is taking this unrealized American dream and making it American with the height, kinda cheap - "go the mile." *

Default Downtown Skyline

I don't mean to sound like a grump, but the only part of the design that hasn't disappointed me is the fact that NYC will have the world's tallest building again.

Asia won't let this happen. And you know what, I don't care.
    The only relevant reference is the roof of the twin towers.
    Downtown needs something as tall.
    20 percent taller would be arrogant and would overwhelm the financial district.
    20 percent lower would be as pathetic as a fake 70-story world's tallest building.

(Edited by Fabb at 1:46 pm on July 2, 2003)

Default Downtown Skyline

Quote: from Fabb on 1:45 pm on July 2, 2003

20 percent taller would be arrogant and would overwhelm the financial district.
    You know, if it were 20 percent taller and proportionately 20 percent WIDER as well, it might start looking like something deserving of its stature.

Forum Veteran

Default Downtown Skyline

Quote: from DougGold on 12:38 pm on July 2, 2003
    Well, I don't mean to sound like a grump, but the only part of the design that hasn't disappointed me is the fact that NYC will have the world's tallest building again. It means a lot to me, as someone who is proud of, and very fond of our fair city. However, besides the height of the tower, the rest of the design is a disappointment. So as long as we get that little bragging right back, the rest is just trading mediocrity for mediocrity. Just build the damn thing and get it over with. I'm hoping someone else someday has the balls to build another supertall downtown that we can be more proud of. (Trump? You listening? Think you can get that wtb of yours going?)
    Doug, I couldn't have said it better myself. *The Libeskind design IS disappointing for this reason...I understand and accept compromises but I think the real definition of "skyline" has a lot to do with *presence* as well as height. *The twin towers, love them or hate them, had *presence*. *The spire that Libeskind proposed, has little substance at all.

Default Downtown Skyline

It might even be disturbing by being out of proportion with respect to the spires and spikes of 40 Wall St, 70 Pine St and the Woolworth Building.
    The flat roofs of the WTC didn't compete with them. That was probably the better aesthetic choice.

(Edited by Fabb at 4:31 pm on July 2, 2003)

Default Downtown Skyline

Downtown has several notable boxes as well. The spire has substance but only from certain angles, which is its inconsistency. Spires reach, flat tops simply stand. They're more serene.

Default Downtown Skyline

Yeah, Doug, where is Trump? I said this on another forum, but how about this as a compromise...

We get "Danny boy's" (Haha) Cheap, slumpy, underwhelming spire, and then Mr. Trump, the American Hero (Haha) Put's a Twin Tower like building somewhere else in Downtown...

Imagine the possibilites...Of a Trump World!

Default Downtown Skyline

Where were all you guys when they tore down the Singer Tower? Some smart opposition might have saved that beauty.

Default Downtown Skyline

I was....Well, to be quite honest, yet to be conceived.

Default Downtown Skyline

Quote: from Jack Ryan on 9:58 pm on July 2, 2003
    Where were all you guys when they tore down the Singer Tower? Some smart opposition might have saved that beauty.
    There was really nothing great about it. Beaux Arts skyscrapers are weird. Like the Hemsley Building.

No, seriously, Downtown needs to invent a new style, and do so in a way that makes no aesthetic compromise.
    And by style I mean height.
    And by aesthetic compromise, I mean height limits.
    I don't know if I'm perfectly clear.

Default Downtown Skyline

Yes, except I don't see how height can define a style. Scale matters esthetically, but is just a factor among others.

Default Downtown Skyline

Quote: from dbhstockton on 10:59 am on July 2, 2003
    NYC has a long history of "design by committee." *The best examples are Rockefeller Center and Lincoln Center.
    There seems to be confusion between design by committee (of interests) and by team (of designers).

Default Downtown Skyline

Quote: from Christian Wieland on 3:02 pm on July 3, 2003
    Yes, except I don't see how height can define a style. Scale matters esthetically, but is just a factor among others.
    Are you trying to argue about height and style ?
    The man was delirious. His theory shouldn't have been taken seriously.

And I totally agree with you about about the difference between design by committee and cooperation between members of a team.
    Only the leader must not be a puppet.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast