Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Skyline

Default Downtown Skyline

A hazy downtown shot from Fulton Landing in Brooklyn

The towers are more noticeably gone from certain views like this one, but I still think the downtown skyline is among the best anywhere. Has anyone seen what the Libeskind design would look like from here?

(Edited by NYatKNIGHT at 11:39 am on July 7, 2003)

Default Downtown Skyline

Has anyone seen what the Libeskind design would look like from here?

No.
    And that's precisely what kept tormenting me at the beginning. Why weren't there any decent views of the skyline with the proposed complex by Danny ?

Possible answer #1 : Because it sucks.

Answer #2 : Danny doesn't know how to include the rendering of his buildings in a real photo.

Answer #3 : Don't show, avoid comparison.

Default Downtown Skyline

For comparison, the picture from the same angle, with the twin towers. I think Libeskind's design will fit nicely between the spires of Woolworth Building and 40 Wall Street.

Default Downtown Skyline

Downtown a week ago from Saturday...

Default Downtown Skyline

I Love Downtown's Skyline, except...well, someone needs to show a picture of the skyline in 1990...Now, except of course for the Huge Loss of the Twins, the skyline is near identical.

Skylines should be constantly changing, ESPECIALLY in a *city so great as New York.

While all our attention is focused on the new WTC, we have to think about building other 'scrapers in Downtown...

The lack of such other projects is depressing...

Default Downtown Skyline

Well, the tragedy of 9/11 led to some other losses, among them the 900 ft NYSE tower. *There are new residential towers being added to the skyline, none more than 600 ft though. *And there's the 600 ft office building planned just north of the WTC in Tribeca. *But other than those few, Downtown really doesn't have a lot of space to build new towers, which is one reason Jersey City had its building boom. *Even the NYSE tower would have required the demolition of a few building to get built.

Forum Veteran

Default Downtown Skyline

Hopefully the plan to build on the East River will come to life, then we'd get some new, extremely visible towers on the waterfront (a la BPC).

Default Downtown Skyline

Ah, Billy, would that really increase lots of room to build monumental towers? That would be great. Also, there are ALOT of old, small buildings that could be demolished...

One New York Place's site is free...

Default Downtown Skyline

You mean South Street Seaport...?

Forum Veteran

Default Downtown Skyline

I believe that area was north of the BK bridge. *Not sure how far north it extended, though.

Default Downtown Skyline

More downtown skyline.....

Default Downtown Skyline

Imagine the mess with the NYSE tower.
    That would have been interesting.

Default Downtown Skyline

What are you saying Fabb? Did you agree or disagree with the NYSE Tower?

Default Downtown Skyline

I didn't have to agree or disagree because I knew from the beginning that this project would be abandonned. Even before 9.11, or obvious reasons.

But, hypothetically, if the NYSE tower was built, that would make me happy because Downtown badly needs to be revitalized and, aesthetically, the downtown skyline is already a mess, so, what could we lose anyway ?
    Since the romantic skyline of the 30s is lost forever, then, why not pee in the wind ? It might be fun.

Default Downtown Skyline

I'm offended (Jokingly, of course) That you could call the Manhattan Skyline a mess. While I completly agree with the fact that the skyline needs to be revitalized....

Is it "A mess?"

Not by a long shot, IMHO.

I think this points out a big issue here, with this line...

"Since the romantic skyline of the 30s is lost forever, then, why not pee in the wind ? It might be fun."-Fabb

Let me criticize this sentence for a second, Just for fun.

First of all, why live in the 30's? Skylines change, and it's been over 70 years...Don't you think Buildings and the way they are designed and created have changed in those years?

A skyline needs to change...Especially, after 70 PLUS years.

The more disturbing line to me is, "why not pee in the wind? It might be fun."

So, we've all given up hope on the skyline, and now you want to, excuse the pun, "Mess around with it?"

Plain Horrible. So the skyline has been Messed up beyond any possible fixes, so now we might as mess it up even more? Explain yourself, because I don't understand the logic. Come on!...Whatever happened to the Optimistic Post 9/11 New Yorker?! On a side note, I completly respect you and your opinion and this was not mean to be offensive in anyway.

P.S I am leaving with my family to *Australia and New Zealand this coming Monday. I expect to respond to this message, but after that, you probably will not be hearing from me until August 7-8. That is if I don't get a computer in my hands in the South Pacific!

I will miss talking to you all, as well as New York City...it's always hard to leave for me, if only just for a month long vacation....Yet, I'm always greeted home by the Unmessy Downtown Skyline and Midtown, on my return, from above.

NyC MaNiAc

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast