Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Skyline

Default Downtown Skyline

So, we've all given up hope on the skyline, and now you want to, excuse the pun, "Mess around with it?"
    Plain Horrible.
    - NyC MaNiAc

Yes, you're right. That's a horrible idea. I can't believe I had the nerve to express myself * that way last night.
    Maybe I was out of my mind.
    Maybe not.

Let's face it. No matter what our emotional attachment might make us want to believe, the Downtown skyline is currently in a phase of sad mediocrity.
    The harmony of delicate and soaring structures that once characterized it disapeared by *natural death after WWII. Like you said, we don't live in the past, hence we shouldn't regret it.
    The glorious days of the Twin Towers that miraculously redefined the skyline ended abruptly.
    What's left ?
    A collection of old towers among fat, cheap boxes among vulgar additions of the post-modern era.

Now, when I say let's pee in the wind, I mean : how could things get any worse ? Any change will do. Even Libeskind's freedom Tower.

Have I given up all hope ? On the contrary... there's nothing left but hope.

Default Downtown Skyline

How could anything get worse...

Is that with the hope that it could get better?

I love the Skyline, so, I'm sorry. Though it was extremly better with the skyline defining Towers, I would still call it the best skyline in North America, though no longer in the world.

The addition of the new WTC (If it is implented well) will really bring the skyline together...that's what the old Towers did...they made everything work.

So, the completion of those towers, the addition of the whole East River Plan, and other big name towers should help out...I dont' know, but I still think you're crazy....

And, the Old days that looked great, might get even better...

There is work to be done, agreed...but, I think we're doing pretty good...

Default Downtown Skyline

I would still call it the best skyline in North America, though no longer in the world.
    - NyC MaNiAc

The best skyline in the world ?
    How about that of Midtown ? Larger and growing. Most of the skyscrapers are of good quality, some of them are masterpieces...
    Downtown pales in comparison.
    Well, this is just an opinion.

Default Downtown Skyline

Midtown isn't a skyline-it's a concrete jungle.

The best concrete jungle in the world, yes, but, I wouldn't call it a skyline.

Unfortunatly, Midtown has grown so much people have forgotten about Downtown! This has got to change!

Default Downtown Skyline

Midtown is a dense forest you must discover from within. It hardly forms a cohesive and effective skyline, although its sheer mass is extremely impressive. Downtown's situation at the narrow tip of the island, fronting the harbor is ideal. The compression and visibility make for a far more dramatic skyline. The peak and focal point is missing, and there have been some conspicuous mistakes (55 Water Street comes to mind) ruining the harmony of the ensemble, but this condition is temporary and it will always have a significant advantage. I'm not the least worried. It's flawed but nowhere near a mess.

Forum Veteran

Default Downtown Skyline

Downtown had, and maybe still has, the world's most romantic skyline. *The Big Four prewar towers—Woolworth, 40 Wall, AIG, and 20 Exchange Place—are still very prominent, though depending on the view one or more of them may be obscured by the presence of newer buildings (e.g.: Chase Manhattan blocks the view of 40 Wall from the north). *If there were one skyscraper downtown that I could get rid of and replace with what used to be there, it would be One Liberty Plaza. *I wish that the Singer Building were still around...

Default Downtown Skyline

I don't. Corny and overrated.

Default Downtown Skyline

So, Christian I want to know if we are on the same page.

You think the skyline is flawed, but still wonderful, and it can be fixed by adding a big Focal Point, and getting some new towers in there?

I like the word "Temporary." Maybe mistakes have been made (It's still an opinion, but I won't go into my strange love with 55 water.) But, with the addition of new towers, it will be fixed.

Couple questions, for the Wired NY wise...

1. Is the East River plan really going to happen?
    2. Is the Deutsche Bank building which looked to be destroyed, be replaced by a "Good" (I use the word very loosely, of course) 'Scraper?
    3. What's happening with the space where One NY Place was supposed to, or still is, rise?

Thanks for your time...Now I gotta go pack for my trip to Australia.

Default Downtown Skyline

You don't like One Liberty Plaza !?!?
    Me neither.
    But it's another building that functioned next to the Twin Towers.

Forum Veteran

Default Downtown Skyline

Quote: from Christian Wieland on 8:58 pm on July 12, 2003
    I don't. Corny and overrated.
    It had class, substance, and in its time was the most famous skyscraper on earth. *It was one of the first buildings to implement corner diagonal cross-bracing, a support against wind pressure commonly used in later steel buildings. *And its unique slenderness, culminating in a slightly bulging crown, was quite reminiscent of a sewing needle, which was a fitting corporate gesture considering that the Singer company makes sewing machines. *In my opinion, its loss is no less than a travesty and an indictment of the city.

Default Downtown Skyline

I respect the technical innovation but its appearance to me was mawkish and awkward. I find One Liberty Plaza's extreme brutality more tolerable.

Default Downtown Skyline

I too find The Singer Buildings decoration a bit "overbearing". But as a disclaimer, I am not very much of a fan of most of the skyscrapers put up in the Beaux Arts style. But I still think it was an moderately aesthetically appealing structure.

Likewise for One Liberty. If Brookfield ever wanted to renovated the structure, including the exterior, I have some great ideas!

Default Downtown Skyline

Nah, I'd prefer to see the Singer on that location across from Equitable, near Woolworth, next to the Trinity buildings and St. Peter's Church, classic New York. It would have been reflected off 140 Broadway. And it made you look up - One Liberty is a black hole. It could use a makeover.

Default Downtown Skyline

What for ?
    It will never be "pretty" ayway.

Default Downtown Skyline

Midtown DOES have a skyline, and one of the best anywhere I might add. *It has to be caught from the right angles, but it has a great skyline. *I don't buy into the argument that there are too many buildings.

It's true that it doesn't have an "empty" skyline like so many of these other cities, but it shouldn't be discredited because of its fullness.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast