Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 World Trade Center - by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill

Default 7 WTC renderings

Ah, of course. I know exactly which one you mean. Thanks TLOZ.

Default 7 WTC renderings

I have to say that I prefer the old 7 WTC except for one thing. That rendering right above Silverstein's head, the one looking down Greenwich, holds promise. Perhaps Barclay-Vesey, 101 Barclay and the new 7 WTC will form a nice little cluster.

Default 7 WTC renderings

Architect David Childs explains his design for a tower at the site of 7 World Trade Center.

Crews prepare the 7 World Trade Center site for new construction.

Gov. George Pataki, center, talks to Mayor Michael Bloomberg, second from right, and real estate developer Larry Silverstein, right, as construction workers look on at the construction site of the new 7 World Trade Center.

Default 7 WTC renderings

I do wish that it was not quite as boxy. *Although it is an improvement that it's more slender and taller than the original.
    Also, I hope that they don't start fiddling with the skin. *It could come out very cool when looked at from a distance.

Default 7 WTC renderings

Shots of it in the skyline

Default 7 WTC renderings

Gah, attack of the SOM Boxes. Those shots Just Rich has skillfully put together has got me even more worried. Couldn't we have a little bit of creativity? Nothing excessive. I'm plenty happy with Child's Bear Sterns, or SOM's Citibank in LIC. Even the adjacent 101 Barclay.

SOM seems bent on getting to the Hudson river with a row of boxes... 1CMP, Marine Midland (near box), 1LP, 7 WTC (skewed box). They just have the block gap between 1LP and 7 WTC, which might be filled with Child's work, and 2 of Pelli's WFC buildings before the little box they built (Mercantile Exchange, box with curved glass curtain wall along the Hudson and windows that don't quite match the WFC *grr*).

Hopefully KPF will have a chance to lord over the SOM boxes.

Default 7 WTC renderings

Thanks for all the pics everyone!

Default 7 WTC renderings

Great job with the renderings Rich.

Default 7 WTC renderings

Where to start....well, this is big news, and an improvement over what was at 7 WTC. I wish we could have had this buiding planned for another site under better circumstances, but it's time to move on and this is a great start!

Unfortunately, I agree with tugrul 100%. Aren't boxes, of any type a thing of the 60's? It bothers me that this is greatest city in the world and the LVMH and Austrian Cultural towers get more attention and thought than high-profile sites like this.

I don't think it's any secret that this is pretty important, what goes here and that quite a few people around the world are waiting to see what gets put back here. We need excellence. I'm not saying this is bad, but we've had such a rebirth in the last 10 years with postmodernism losing it's tackiness (Bear Stearns) and the deconstrucitivst movement taking root (Conde Nast/Reuters). David Childs has had his turns and his chances to add to our fabric. Seeing this design makes me wonder how much better we could do....God help us in getting Fox and Fowle or Sir Norman Foster to redesign the WTC and get us out of the design abyss. The world is watching.....

Default 7 WTC renderings

Agreed very nice renderings, very impressive Just Rich...7WTC bridges the gap nicely between the WFC and the rest of downtown, at least as well as we can hope with the WTC being gone .

Default 7 WTC renderings

This is just going to be a thinner CIBC tower in my opinion.

As is the case most of the time, the building never looks as good in reality compared to the renderings.

Default 7 WTC renderings

Quote: from tugrul on 10:37 pm on Nov. 20, 2002
    Gah, attack of the SOM Boxes. Those shots Just Rich has skillfully put together has got me even more worried.
    I wouldn't worry. *I think the tower is exactly as it should be. *Don't forget, the WTC will consists of multiple towers. *Should every building have a spire or crown of some kind? *That would be overdoing the World Financial Center bit...

Default 7 WTC renderings

It looks like a very nice building, but I have to agree with tugrul and JerzDevl. It doesn't have to have a spire or crown, but does every building have to have shear sides and a flat top?

Default 7 WTC renderings

It would have been appropriate if the design had been, in some way, related to the WFC.
    But it's not.
    It reminds me of 1 Liberty Plaza, but with a lighter skin.

Anyway. It could be nice.

Default 7 WTC renderings

It reminded me of 1 Liberty too.