Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 World Trade Center - by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill

Default 7 WTC renderings

its a little disappointing that this building really has no flair a child could have designed it.....a molded box like the goldman sachs would have been nice.

Default 7 WTC renderings

Fabb and NYatKnight, I'd have to agree with what ya said regarding the 1 Liberty Plaza reference. The new 7 WTC looks just like it, with the lighter facade. Hopefully, it will NOT turn out anything like it because 1 LP and 55 Water were the two boxes that I feel most destroy the romance and balance of the skyline downtown.

I ask everyone to think of your favorite skyscraper in the city that ya like to see lit up at ngiht. Chances are, it has a nice crown - Chrysler, Empire, 1 WWP, AIG/Cities service, Citicorp, etc. . Lower Manhattan had 40 Wall, AIG, 1 Wall, 20 exchange, 120 Wall, and a bunch of others clustered together for years and most people loved it. Heck, even Singer Tower was nice but I don't wanna get into what's there now.

Moving back, CIBC is a big letdown, or so I thought until I saw these plans yesterday. I'm sure David Childs went to a first rate architectural school, interned and apprenticed at the best firms possible, and has a lot under his belt. Was this the best he could do???

Default 7 WTC renderings

Again I really like it. The WTC's were far from puny, it shouldnt be comrpromised with postmodern tack. I would be okay with a crown of sorts onsite, if its for a signature building. But 7WTC need not be a freak.

Default 7 WTC renderings

What's important is that it succeeds economically. That's what it's built for.
    If it fails, the rebuilding process could be delayed by a couple of decades.

Default 7 WTC renderings

oh my gosh people. *we dont want lower manhattens tallest building to be a bloody appartment building. ! ! ! ! ! * what has this world come to ? ? ?
    if that building is really going up, then i pray to GOD, that the new WTC's 1 & 2 will stand taller. good lord....................... *: (

Forum Veteran

Default 7 WTC renderings

One New York Place is a mixed-use building, and a slim majority of its space is used for office space. *Remember that John Hancock Center was once the tallest building in Chicago.

Default 7 WTC renderings

I think you're going to see a lot more tall residential buildings than office buildings in the near future in a lot of cities, what with the vacancy rates and all.

Default 7 WTC renderings

Quote: from Fabb on 3:47 pm on Nov. 21, 2002
    What's important is that it succeeds economically. That's what it's built for.
    If it fails, the rebuilding process could be delayed by a couple of decades.
    The PA itself is supposed to be the major tenant for this building, but a deal hasn't been worked out with Silverstein.

Now, with the spirit of rebuilding in effect, a look at the WTC site from nycfoto.com....

Default 7 WTC renderings

the building looks like it will come alive very well in the skyline, too bad only 1 tower will be built on the WTC site, there should be more to fill up the gaps.

Default 7 WTC renderings

What makes you so certain that only 1 tower will be built on the WTC site?

Pelli once said that most cities need more background buildings and fewer signatures. I don't know if I completely agree with that, but I think Pelli would, in a complimentary way, consider this a good background building.

It will likely be another plain glass box with good materials and quality construction. Not Architecture (with a capital "A"), but certainly good real estate. The redevelopment of WTC should be Architecture. If it merely becomes real estate that will be tragedy.

Default 7 WTC renderings

Pelli once said that most cities need more background buildings and fewer signatures.

I have to disagree with Pelli's take on that.

(Edited by amigo32 at 3:43 am on Nov. 24, 2002)

(Edited by amigo32 at 3:47 am on Nov. 24, 2002)

Default 7 WTC renderings

chris, will New York REALLY try to fill in the skyline? Everything I read seems to indicate no. *It seems that the NIMBYS and the advocates for a large memorial will prevent that from happening. *I hope not!!

Default 7 WTC renderings

Quote: from amigo32 on 4:37 am on Nov. 24, 2002
    chris, will New York REALLY try to fill in the skyline? Everything I read seems to indicate no. *It seems that the NIMBYS and the advocates for a large memorial will prevent that from happening. *I hope not!!
    That's why it is up to all the New York who supports skyscrapers and tall building to voice their opinions and overwhelm the NIMBY's. *There are certainly more advocates of tall builidings, than pure memorials at the WTC.

Default 7 WTC renderings

I don't understand the obsession with boxes. *Shouldn't 7WTC represent a prelude to the monumental and creative architecture that (I hope) will be the new World Trade Center? *It seems nondescript.

Default 7 WTC renderings

I tthink this bldg is not a masterpiece like Piano's tower or LVMH, or Austrian Cultural Institute or American Folk Museum but is after all not bad. Ok, we need first class projects in NYC expecially in this part of the city, but I think this is a good point to start. This bldg is elegant and most of all has a sort of 'lightness' very appropriate for the plot. The sense of light and brightness will be a good sign for all downtown people who probably will look at it like a symbol of fresh air.