Page 52 of 124 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 World Trade Center - by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill

Thanks for posting that superb Newsday article, including the photos. That was a nice job of capturing the structure inside this remarkable building. Those floors apprear enormous, thought that might simply be the perspective of the camera.

It is great that the Chinese companies are interested in 7WTC. It doesn't get much more "world trade" than that, after all...

NY1

Developer Larry Silverstein Gives NY1 A Tour Of 7 World Trade Center

September 07, 2005

Four years after the collapse of the World Trade Center, the site's developer says he's more excited than ever about rebuilding. In the following report, NY1's Amanda Farinacci takes a tour of the site's first building with leaseholder Larry Silverstein.

If you look closely at the facade of 7 World Trade Center, you can make out the address subtly inscribed on the side. But there's nothing subtle about the amount of work that went into the building - the first to go up on the World Trade Center site.

Developer Larry Silverstein is out to make sure it leaves an impression.

“The finishing phases of a building really require the greatest amount of attention. It's really where you have to watch, and watch carefully,” says the developer.

A curtain of steel hides the Con Ed substation already up and running on the first four floors. Motion-sensitive lights will shine behind the façade and appear to be "following" people as they pass the building.

Inside, workers put finishing touches on the building's 29 elevators, which don't require the touch of a button to get to your destination. Upstairs on the 38th floor is where Silverstein will make his home.

“The view, as you can see, is quite spectacular. Isn't that something?” he says.

On the north side of the building is a breathtaking view of the city. On the south, Silverstein can keep an eye on the site he's responsible for rebuilding, especially the Freedom Tower.

NYPD security concerns surrounding its construction meant the entire plan had to be scrapped, pushing construction of the iconic building back two years.

“The standards established for us by the NYPD, which essentially are foreign embassy standards for a building built in the middle of some foreign country, not necessarily a friendly country either, but nevertheless, the building will be extraordinary,” says Silverstein.

The developer says he tries to avoid getting involved in site politics. He says he's fought enough of his own wars over funding the $8 billion site.

He insists he's not nervous the 52-story tower has no tenants yet, because he's expecting his first one to sign a deal soon. He says his role is very clear.

“I still have the ground lease responsibility, the obligation to pay the ground rent, the obligation to rebuild these buildings,” says Silverstein. “That's my job and I'll get that done.”

The building will open in March of next year, and Silverstein says tenants or not, it's going to be one of the most coveted addresses in New York City.

- Amanda Farinacci

VID
    http://real.ny1.com:8080/ramgen/real...07_171405hi.rm

http://real.ny1.com:8080/ramgen/real...07_171405lo.rm

Forum Veteran

Until he gets a real tenant, 100,000 sf plus, this building and the futuire of the whole area remain very cloudy, at the GS public meeting many people mentioned how no firms are really intested in this area and getting GS to anchor that site would possibly be a big boost

September 9, 2005:

Some pics at night...

Forum Veteran

Nice! A little blurry, but very cool.

Yeah, sorry about the quality, all the lights from different directions somehow mess with my camera's light sensor and I didn't want to carry a tripod all around GZ. I was trying to sneak past the construction materials and into the lobby but a cop stopped me, lol.

Anyway, I think the base looks fantastic at night, very bright and reflective. Can't wait how it will combine with the bright FT. And as you can see there is normal lighting installed in a few places in the building.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    NY1

Developer Larry Silverstein Gives NY1 A Tour Of 7 World Trade Center
    "This is the lobby. Notice the empty building directory."

"This is the empty 1st floor"
    "This is the empty 2nd floor"
    "This is the empty 3rd floor"
    "This is the empty 4th floor"
    "This is the empty 5th floor"

^ I'm still laughing ...................

September 9, 2005:

Sorry I'm not impressed, thankfully it's basically just a filler and will be overshadowed once the other towers are done.

Meanwhile that's an awesome pic of the entire WFC!

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    "This is the lobby. Notice the empty building directory."

"This is the empty 1st floor"
    "This is the empty 2nd floor"
    "This is the empty 3rd floor"
    "This is the empty 4th floor"
    "This is the empty 5th floor"

Hehe

It sounds like 7 WTC wont be empty for too much longer.

New York Daily News
    Pataki touts China biz hub for WTC site

Friday, September 23rd, 2005

Gov. Pataki said yesterday that he expects a large real estate developer in China to take hundreds of thousands of square feet of office space in lower Manhattan for a new business center.

The China Center, as he called it, "will bring together Chinese companies to invest in New York," Pataki said.

In what would be a big boost to downtown recovery, Beijing-based Vantone Real Estate Co. is said to be considering up to 700,000 square feet at the World Trade Center site.

The publication Real Estate Weekly reported last month that Vantone representatives toured developer Larry Silverstein's 7World Trade Center, a 52-story tower nearing completion.

Vantone - known for the Vantone Center, an office tower complex in Beijing - is one of China's largest private developers.

Pataki, who met with Vantone chairman Feng Lun on Monday, is on a weeklong trade mission to China.

China is now the number two holder of U.S. Treasury securities (how deficit spending is financed).

http://www.ustreas.gov/tic/mfh.txt

Forum Veteran

I hope this works out, the have been in talks with so many firms, kinda funny if a foreign government steps up while US firms hid