Page 98 of 124 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1853

Thread: 7 World Trade Center - by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill

Remember when Deputy Mayor Dan Doctoroff was mocking 7 WTC for being unrented (while still under construction, mind you) and demanding that the remaining WTC sites be used for apartments? At what point does someone call this guy on how wrong he was?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    Remember when Deputy Mayor Dan Doctoroff was mocking 7 WTC for being unrented (while still under construction, mind you) and demanding that the remaining WTC sites be used for apartments? At what point does someone call this guy on how wrong he was?
    He is not a real estate expert and knows nothing about it. This administration has been wrong on a few economic development issues including Downtown recovery. They so wanted the Olympics they tried to deter building there in order to get Hudson yards off the ground. Fact is HY is years away until subway and transportation access is opened up!

The movie "Perfect Stranger" features WTC 7.

7 WTC v2.0 turned out to be a real beauty.

I did see the previews of the movie "Perfect Stranger" having some scenes at 7 WTC, looks like a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    APRIL 8, 2007

The heavenly 7...
    Its amazing that the Freedom will be as twice as tall as this
    Last edited by ZippyTheChimp; April 16th, 2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Removed images from quote

Default Great pics NYGuy

one of my fav new curtainwalls.

Nice skin, boring building.

^ Yep, that is pretty much how exactly I feel about this tower and TWC for that matter. It would be nice if SOM could actually put these nice facades into a designs that are not so monotonous, rectangular and flat. Man do their designs bore you to tears! But it seems to be outside their imaginative capacity to do so. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that we will be getting much of the same in the Penn Station propsals that they are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    I've said this many time Doctoroff is a political appointy with zero real world experience in anything. He comes from money, he is a corporate raider and capital investment banker. The only reason he is around is because of Bloomberg. This guy has done nothing for the city, his plan for #7 line is falling apart. Everything this guy touches turns to dust. This is what happens when people are apppointed based on their personal relationship with the mayor and not based on their qualifications.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by wns808 View Post
    7 WTC v2.0 turned out to be a real beauty.

I did see the previews of the movie "Perfect Stranger" having some scenes at 7 WTC, looks like a good movie.
    Saw the movie, not good but good 7 wtc pictures

Quote Originally Posted by TREPYE View Post
    ^ Yep, that is pretty much how exactly I feel about this tower and TWC for that matter. It would be nice if SOM could actually put these nice facades into a designs that are not so monotonous, rectangular and flat. Man do their designs bore you to tears! But it seems to be outside their imaginative capacity to do so. Unfortunately, I have a feeling that we will be getting much of the same in the Penn Station propsals that they are working on.
    I'm not a big fan of SOM but its not their lack of imagination that turns these buildings into boxes. Its usually the owners and developers of NYC who turn dynamic designs into lego blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vengineer View Post
    I'm not a big fan of SOM but its not their lack of imagination that turns these buildings into boxes. Its usually the owners and developers of NYC who turn dynamic designs into lego blocks.
    Well, it would be intesresting to see (in SOM's case) what design they started with and what the owner/developer dumbed it down to.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but this tower was supposed to have a FT-esque spire. Pretty stupid.

I think that everone forgets that artistic expression is well down on the list of priorities when these buildings get built. Simplicity and cost effectiveness of design and construction are much higher up. I've watched them put up some of the more interesting of the recently constructed buildings (BOA, Hearst, etc), and you can tell it must have been a bitch and a half to get everything properly designed, specified, fabricated, and erected. All that translates to $,$$$,$$$ (or more). Building a straight wall box is signficantly simpler and cheaper, and probably even functions better on an ongoing basis.

The flip side of the business case is that an interesting building may have a higher prestige factor and garner higher rents. But in a market like this, where the LL can practically ask anything they want, that probably isn't a compelling enough reason to drive the developers to go the extra mile.

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but this tower was supposed to have a FT-esque spire.
    It isn't. So the design we ended up with is the the same one as was first proposed minus the "spire"?