Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Helena - 601 West 57th Street - Rental - by FX Fowle

Thumbs up

I really like the blue!

I was there just this weekend coming back from the Doctors office...nice building, i must say

Is that smokestack still active? I used to live a couple of blocks over about 4 years ago. The smokestack would spew fumes that you could smell from neighboring buildings. If it is still active, how are they going to keep those windows clean?

Helena on 7 May 2005.

Is anything going up on the empty lot to the West of the Helena?

Forum Veteran

Ya, I forgot what...

5/29/05

It's okay in my book, I dunno. but anything that replaces nothing is a good thing for our city.

At least it looks well made and expensive... from a distance anyway.

Default Neighborhood

I am from Connecticut and will be moving to the city on August 1st. I am very interested in The Helena, and am planning on visiting the building in the next week or so. However, I have some concerns that might not be resolved just by a visit, and was hoping someone on the forum could give me some advice...

What is this neighborhood really like, especially at night? It looks very unimpressive (if not desolate) from some of the photos I've seen. It is populated, lively, and safe? Also, does anyone know if the smokestack (which looks like it is right next to the building in pictures) is still visibly active?

Thanks to anyone with any advice...you might spare me a visit to the building if you confirm my fears...

Quote Originally Posted by bigjdtemp
    I am from Connecticut and will be moving to the city on August 1st. I am very interested in The Helena, and am planning on visiting the building in the next week or so. However, I have some concerns that might not be resolved just by a visit, and was hoping someone on the forum could give me some advice...

What is this neighborhood really like, especially at night? It looks very unimpressive (if not desolate) from some of the photos I've seen. It is populated, lively, and safe? Also, does anyone know if the smokestack (which looks like it is right next to the building in pictures) is still visibly active?

Thanks to anyone with any advice...you might spare me a visit to the building if you confirm my fears...
    The neighborhood is extremely safe and you will have no problems.

It is not the most active or exciting neighborhood at night. If you want a busy, noisy neighborhood, you should also consider options in nightlife and restaurant-oriented neighborhoods like the East Village. That said, the Helena is a short walk to 9th Avenue which has a long strip of great restaurants beginning at 57th Street and extending to about 34th Street. 57th Street itself has some good amenities and there are some late-night options on Columbus and Amsterdam.

Quote Originally Posted by ASchwarz
    It is not the most active or exciting neighborhood at night.
    That would be an understatement. I rent a storage unit at the Manhattan Mini Storage right behind the Helena and my brother-in-law lives on 59th and 9th, so I've been in that area plently of times at night - and it is dead.

But who knows, the way things are going in Manhattan, the area will probably be developed in a few years. bigjdtemp, I encourage you to check the area out yourself (especially at night), so you can make your own decision, but if you are looking for "populated and lively", this isn't it. If on the other hand, if you don't mind walking a few blocks to get to conviences and things to do, you might be ok with it.

Thanks for your replies! I appreciate your insights.

It sounds like the building is at least worth a visit...

The Helena with Clinton Cove Park. 24 July 2005.

Wow... it looks like a real building.... puts most of the other apt. buildings in this photo to shame. Can anything be tackier than the condo to the left.... the balconied 80´s apartment tower with the mansard roof?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast