Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Standard Hotel - 848 Washington Street - by Polshek Partnership Architects

"What we're doing will be very, very substantially lower" than the previous design, he said, and it will be a hotel, not a residential tower. "I don't even think the word `tower' will apply to us," he said.
    Oh well that is a shame. I was hoping something big to alter the skyline a little bit. But not all wishes come true I am afraid. At least something is happening.

Default Yes, but...

Is there a chance he will choose Mr. Nouvel as the architect?

"No, I don't believe so," he said.

I liked the uneven distribution of windows in Jean Nouvel's proposal. Just one somewhat original or slightly different building can substantially enhance a street's ambiance.

Now why don't architects copy more good features off each other's buildings? Is spawning the next universal glass box really more fun?

So this is the third Nouvel project proposed for the city that will never be built. It's almost like the city is allergic to good architecture.

Banned Member

The whole block bounded by Washington Street / West 13th Street / West Street has been demolished in the last month. Is this the Nouvel project?

Default Times Review

A 2001 Muschamp review of the Nouvel design from the Times, courtesy Andre Balazs Properties:

http://www.andrebalazs.com/residence/nyt_m40_2.pdf

Default From the Wall Street Journal Online

Condo Attitudes

Hotelier Andre Balazs wants to put his name on a slice of Manhattan's residential sector. The 48-year-old entrepreneur, who helped popularize the boutique-hotel fad of the 1990s, is offering condominiums on the edges of New York's SoHo district and is readying a second building nearby.

Mr. Balazs, whose hotels include the Chateau Marmont in Los Angeles, just opened his second hotel in New York, the Hotel QT in Midtown. Meanwhile, he has sold about 80% of the 53 units at One Kenmare Square, according to Douglas Elliman, which is handling sales for the building. (Prices at the building, to be completed this fall, range from $540,000 for studios to $5.5 million for two-bedroom penthouse suites.)

Architect Richard Gluckman, designer of the Guggenheim in Berlin, designed the 11-story Kenmare Square building, which has a slightly curved glass facade. Apartments at Mr. Balazs's other project, the Jean Nouvel-designed 40 Mercer, go on sale in June. In 2004, the median price for condos below 42nd St. reached $667,000, surpassing for the first time units on the Upper West and East sides, while prices for prewar condos below 14th St. hit a record $1.275 million, according to the Real Estate Board of New York.

Mr. Balazs has just made another residential purchase: the Staatsburg, N.Y., onetime home of former Penthouse magazine publisher Bob Guccione for $5.9 million. The 15-room estate sits on 75 acres on the Hudson River, about 80 miles north of New York City. Kennedy Funding, a private lending firm in Hackensack, N.J., acquired the estate last year. Heather Croner Real Estate had the listing. Mr. Balazs declined to comment on his plans for the home.

(The property is bordered by West Street, West 13th Street, Washington Street and Little West 12th Street.) View East, with West 13th Street on the left. 9 April 2004.

I saw an ad in today's NYTIMES, I like the buildings curve and wanted to find out more, but to no avail. Check out the website:

http://www.kenmaresquare.com/main.html

So this new building is the same site as that jean nouvel proposal? only its not a jean nouvel design anymore? and obviously its a lot shorter.

Here, diged out a photo during demolition stage. 5 February 2005.

The site of Andre Balazs' Standard Hotel. 1 May 2005.

Banned Member

Anyone have any idea why Structuretone, the notoriously crooked and indicted CM firm, would be CM on this project, when they have so little core & shell experience? They basically do build outs and renovations. This doesn't bode well for the "quality" of this project.

Question

cool Photos! Thanks Edward... So where is the rendering of this new hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulcrapek
    My friggin' eyes...

www.gluckmanmayner.com > commercial > standard hotel
    I think I could like it; have to wait and see.

Thumbs up yesssss!

I love this design.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast