Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JFK Airport Terminal 5 - by Eero Saarinen | Renovation & Expansion - by gensler

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    Compare to photo in post #3.

Quite an era of swoopy architecture... and red carpets. The Metropolitan Opera House:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7355435@N04/529872944/

--
    Last edited by Fabrizio; January 20th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.

^ Different aspects of Saarinen have been picked up on by Gehry, Calatrava and Foster. When the latter was at Yale, Saarinen was at his peak.

Saarinen turns out to be today's eminence grise; would there be Zaha Hadid without him? Or even Jean Nouvel?

He was certainly the flying wedge of novelty at all cost; when someone complains of Gehry repeating himself, he's wishing he were more like Eero --who (almost) never repeated himself.

Too bad he died young.

Renovated T.W.A. Terminal to Reopen as JetBlue Portal

Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times
    The Port Authority approved a $19 million repair project on the Trans World Airlines section of Terminal 5 at Kennedy Airport. It has been closed since 2001.

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
    Published: February 22, 2008

The Trans World Airlines terminal at Kennedy International Airport — that abandoned embodiment of the “Come Fly With Me” era of jet-setting — would reopen this year under a plan advanced on Thursday by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

The authority’s board approved a $19 million project to repair the 46-year-old terminal so that travelers can pass through it on their way to the enormous new JetBlue Airways terminal that wraps around the T.W.A. building in a crescent shape.

Both buildings are known as Terminal 5. The hope is to open them simultaneously this fall, said William R. DeCota, the aviation director of the Port Authority. If not, he said, the T.W.A. building — an official landmark designed by architect Eero Saarinen — would reopen soon after.

Except for a brief stint as an exhibition gallery in 2004, the Saarinen terminal has been closed since T.W.A. ended operations in October 2001. The main terminal building, called the head house, and two tubular corridors for departures and arrivals have been preserved. Those corridors will connect the Saarinen and JetBlue terminals.

“When Terminal 5 launches in fall,” JetBlue says on its T508.com Web site, “customers will have the option of checking in at a JetBlue kiosk in the Saarinen building and taking in this landmarked architectural wonder’s exquisite modernist design on their way to our new terminal.” The airline has adopted the gull-winged profile of the T.W.A. building for its Terminal 5 logo.
    Before the terminal reopens, asbestos must be removed, deteriorating concrete and tiles must be repaired, sections of the roof must be replaced and new doors must be installed, among other measures, Mr. DeCota said.

The Port Authority is taking on the work because there were no responses to a request in 2006 for redevelopment proposals, he said. When the building is in better shape, he said, he expected more interest from operators who might use parts of it for an airline lounge, a restaurant, office space, a museum, a hotel or a spa.

Christine A. Ferer, a member of the authority’s board of commissioners, said the restoration was “thrilling” but wondered aloud at a subcommittee meeting on Thursday whether JetBlue was paying an appropriate amount for the use of the Saarinen landmark as its front door.

“We’re really giving them this beautiful piece of art, this historic building as an entrance to their facility,” she said.

Mr. DeCota said that JetBlue was not specifically underwriting renovation of the historic building, but that its rent to the Port Authority was “helping to support this facility” as part of the overall Terminal 5 development project.

One element of the Saarinen building will almost certainly not be salvaged: the trumpet-shaped flight departure lounge that used to sit at the end of one of the tubular corridors. Last year, at a cost of about $800,000, it was cut apart from the rest of the structure and moved about 1,500 feet to get it out of the way of construction crews while preservationists, airport officials and airline executives tried to figure out if it could be reused.

Though Mr. DeCota declined to say flatly on Thursday that nothing could be done with the trumpet structure, he hinted strongly that the money needed to renovate it — which he put at more than $10 million — would be better spent on the Saarinen head house.

The Municipal Art Society, a civic organization that belongs to the redevelopment advisory committee involved with the Saarinen building, believes that any decision to destroy the trumpet structure would be “premature, fiscally irresponsible and historically inappropriate,” said Frank E. Sanchis III, the society’s senior vice president.

Mr. Sanchis said that the fate of the trumpet was discussed without consulting the redevelopment committee and that the cost estimates were inflated. On Thursday, the art group appealed to the federal Advisory Council on Historic Preservation in Washington to intervene.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company.

Related
    A Window That Reflected a Golden Age Comes Down at Kennedy Airport (February 22, 2008)
    Last edited by brianac; February 22nd, 2008 at 06:04 AM.

I'm flying into JFK for the first time this summer - Terminal 7. Am I going to be able to get a good look at the TWA building?

It's scheduled for opening this fall.

You may be unlucky.

It looks like they are modifying the terminal maps.

Keep in touch with the airport web site. Link below.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...l/kennedy.html

You would need to allocate some time, either on arrival or departure, if you are to make a detour to the TWA terminal. Your best bet would probably be the Air Train.

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/

Although it won't be open, I wondered whether I could get a look at the outside. I guess we would have to go the 'wrong way' round the loop, get off with our luggage, try to get near it, assuming that's possible if it's closed, and then get back on the loop. I'm not sure I will be able to convince the family to do that 'just to look at a building'. I suppose I'll just have to go back again when it's open and see if we can fly into it.

Thanks for the info anyway.

Thought someone might enjoy this.

Quote Originally Posted by andyschest View Post
    Although it won't be open, I wondered whether I could get a look at the outside. I guess we would have to go the 'wrong way' round the loop, get off with our luggage, try to get near it, assuming that's possible if it's closed, and then get back on the loop. I'm not sure I will be able to convince the family to do that 'just to look at a building'. I suppose I'll just have to go back again when it's open and see if we can fly into it.

Thanks for the info anyway.
    When you check in for your return flight (2 to 3 hours before take off) you could leave the family with the luggage, and wander off on your own.

A subtle building-code-induced modification most folks might not notice:

Look at the old photo in post #31: the pickets that hold the rail are a certain distance apart (call it distance x). The effect is gossamer --as the architect intended-- and this is more than enough picket to hold the rail against a lurch from a 400 lb. drunk.

Now look at the photo in post #34 (recently "restored"). There are twice as many pickets, they are x/2 distance apart, and the renovation architect has chosen to tell posterity about his bowdlerization by making his added pickets more slender than the originals. This sets up an a-b rhythm that was wholly absent in the original, which was a techno-expressionistic a-a.

The additional pickets were put there by the notorious "baby's head" requirement of the recent code. This requires pickets to be no more than 4" apart to keep babies from wedging their heads between the pickets.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    A subtle building-code-induced modification most folks might not notice...
    I think the renovation architect made the right choice. Nice post- thanks for the tip. Nice eye- good catch.

An Airline Terminal for a Security-Wary Era

David W. Dunlap/The New York Times
    The security area at JetBlue’s new terminal at Kennedy International Airport will be 340 feet wide and will have 20 lanes. More Photos >

By DAVID W. DUNLAP
    Published: March 11, 2008

From the moment that passengers first arrive at JetBlue Airways’ $750 million terminal at Kennedy International Airport in September, they will face an unmistakably post-9/11 world.
    Multimedia

Slide Show A Tour of Terminal 5

Most airline terminals have been jury-rigged since 2001 to accommodate all the extra security workers and equipment. But JetBlue’s new Terminal 5 is among the first in the United States designed from the ground up after the terrorist attacks.

The 340-foot-wide security checkpoint will dominate the departures hall the way ticket counters once did, occupying the focal point of the Y-shaped building.

There will be 20 security lanes. “They were sized with the idea that passengers have luggage, have children, have wheelchairs and have special needs,” said William R. DeCota, director of aviation at the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs Kennedy.

After running the security gantlet, travelers will find a lot of benches where they can pull themselves back together.

There will be subtler touches, too: resilient rubber Tuflex floor (instead of cold, hard terrazzo) for the areas where one has to go shoeless.

“We want the security process to be thoroughly rigorous but minimally intrusive,” Mr. DeCota said. “The design of that terminal was intended to make sure that no one will have to worry that their wait time is going to be greater than 10 minutes.”

JetBlue handled 28 percent of Kennedy’s 47.7 million passengers last year. The airline expects that by the end of this year, 44,000 passengers will be passing through Terminal 5 each day. The airline operates 170 flights a day at Kennedy, but could operate 250 flights from the 26 gates at Terminal 5.

Despite its scale, Terminal 5 has been overshadowed by its connection to the landmark Trans World Airlines Flight Center, designed by Eero Saarinen, which stands at the same corner of the airport and is also known as Terminal 5.

The Port Authority plans an interim renovation of the Saarinen building, which has been closed for seven years. JetBlue passengers will be able to pass through it on their way to the new Terminal 5.

It has been designed by the Gensler firm, working with DMJM Harris/Aecom, Arup and the authority’s master planner, William Nicholas Bodouva & Associates.

Given a more-or-less blank slate, they were able to design spaces to accommodate security technology, rather than cramming technology into existing spaces.

For instance, formidable-looking X-ray explosive detection machines are often found in the middle of departure lobbies. These add inconvenient steps to the inspection process.

The detection machines at Terminal 5, on the other hand, are out of sight and integrated into what is called an in-line baggage handling system. Bags move automatically from the ticket counter through several inspection points to the tugs that take them out to the aircraft, rather than being hand carried from one area to the next.

Pointing to the system on a floor plan, William D. Hooper Jr., a managing director of Gensler, said: “The heart of the terminal is in places like this. All that stuff that came up into the terminal after 9/11, some of it as big as a Volkswagen, is here.”

Airline executives and authority officials emphasized that the security measures at Terminal 5 were not better than those at other terminals, simply that they promised to be faster.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company.

All the new security stuff has really choked up some already out dated terminals. Its just a mess...

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

This is going to wind up being the best terminal in the whole place, I bet.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast