Page 12 of 93 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: Con Ed site on the East River

Quote: Ahhh, now that good news, i like Skidmore and Ownings....classic architecture

I would have to disagree, more like safe and boring.
    I agree, even more concerning is that it's Marilyn Taylor of SOM. I can only guess Meier was brought on board to repeat the formula at Perry West, I'm all for it.

There's a pretty big hole at 708... I don't think it'll be refilled.
    According to the DGEIS which I picked up a number of years ago there is a no action alternative where no new development would be built, all the buildings would be razed and the lots used as parking.

That said that isn't the developers objective for the project.

2 90 floor boxes would look odd but I could get used to it if it was built!

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy
    2 90 floor boxes would look odd but I could get used to it if it was built!
    Who said that's going to be built?

Forum Veteran

Has anything been said about the fate of the Waterside plant itself? I hope that it can be preserved; possibly as a museum, or is it too big for most other functions?

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    Who said that's going to be built?

No one, I was just saying IF it was.

Banned Member

Can't we just self-edit speculation and rumor-mongering? It's completely useless and reads like spam. They could build two 20 foot huts as well. They could cement it over as a parking lot. The could create a farm of porta-potties. It's endless speculation. WHO CARES! This forum becomes useless with meaningless, untrue, uninformed, hopeful and factless guessing games.

Flame away.

Quote Originally Posted by PHLguy
    No one, I was just saying IF it was.
    If you feel the need to document your pointless speculations and wish lists, why don't you start your own BLOG.

When you notice how little traffic or responses you get, maybe it will finally sink in that no one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    If you feel the need to document your pointless speculations and wish lists, why don't you start your own BLOG.

When you notice how little traffic or responses you get, maybe it will finally sink in that no one cares.
    LOL jesus christ

truth hurts

Thumbs down

Goodbye PHLguy.

Architectural Padawan

to get this back on-topic... at last year's meeting, I came away with the impression that:

1. the current waterside plant was to be razed, and the 90 story building would be on that land.

2. the residents are worred about the shadows such a tall building would cast over Tudor City (same thing that stunted the height of the Time Warner buildings)

3. they want to re-establish the grid at 39th and 40th streets east of 1st avenue

4. the group is livid about losing the concrete playground known as Robert Moses Park, and would like the city to convert the empty lot on the west side of 1st ave between 39 and 40 to a parkland.

I'd like to see the land get developed, and a huge apartment skyscraper would definitely balance the Trump World Tower (especailly when viewed from the olympic village across the east river... but that's another topic). Robert Moses park is ugly, and could use a complete replacement, so it wouldn't be terrible to see that land swap happen.... and if a comprimise that would allow the air rights from the new park to be transferred to the waterside project, i think everyone willl win (doesn't a public plaza or arcade increase the FAR for that site by 1?).

That souns good, but the thing is that was created last year...did anyone go to the NIMBY meeting? I'd bet that they would be very up to date with the latest developements on the site

Thumbs up

I'd like to see the land get developed, and a huge apartment skyscraper would definitely balance the Trump World Tower (especailly when viewed from the olympic village across the east river... but that's another topic). Robert Moses park is ugly, and could use a complete replacement, so it wouldn't be terrible to see that land swap happen.... and if a comprimise that would allow the air rights from the new park to be transferred to the waterside project, i think everyone willl win (doesn't a public plaza or arcade increase the FAR for that site by 1?).
    I like to hear that rationale. This project will be a good neighbor, Solow is a mindful developer, it will return the favor and will be a good neighbor. If you could convince your cohorts that they are not the only ones entitled to a view in Manhattan and that height is a good thing that reduces bulk, we can really start to get this thing moving.

And I made the comparrison about a year ago that a tall tower here would create architectural bookends with the Trump World Tower, nicely framing the United Nations.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbster
    That souns good, but the thing is that was created last year...did anyone go to the NIMBY meeting? I'd bet that they would be very up to date with the latest developements on the site
    Kolbster, I was at that meeting (that's how i'm on their mailing list about the coming meeting). Everything that i've stated is the fact (as I remember it... check back to the postings from a year ago for the reality of what I said immediately after the meeting). My opinions on the site will always be in a seperate paragraph to keep everything organized for everyone's enjoyment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern
    And I made the comparrison about a year ago that a tall tower here would create architectural bookends with the Trump World Tower, nicely framing the United Nations.
    Stern, I remember your posting with that feeling, and should have given you credit for coming up with the thought. It was your idea that got me to think of the project in a balanced light, and I liked the thought (and hopefully helped to build on the conversation). When the UN puts up their new building next to secretariat, the symmetry will be complete with 90 stories on Waterside, 50 for the UN, 50 for Secretariat, and 90 for TWT. Finally the far east side gets some attention.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos
    Kolbster, I was at that meeting (that's how i'm on their mailing list about the coming meeting). Everything that i've stated is the fact (as I remember it... check back to the postings from a year ago for the reality of what I said immediately after the meeting). My opinions on the site will always be in a seperate paragraph to keep everything organized for everyone's enjoyment.

Stern, I remember your posting with that feeling, and should have given you credit for coming up with the thought. It was your idea that got me to think of the project in a balanced light, and I liked the thought (and hopefully helped to build on the conversation). When the UN puts up their new building next to secretariat, the symmetry will be complete with 90 stories on Waterside, 50 for the UN, 50 for Secretariat, and 90 for TWT. Finally the far east side gets some attention.
    Its cool dude. I was just echoing it. I don't want any credit, I should've wrote it differently. I just think its great that someone else thinks this way, even more that its someone who lives in the neighborhood.

Banned Member

This gives creedence to the arguments set forth in these forums against building too high at river's edge in Brooklyn and Queens. If you build too tall, you impede further development inland from the rivers edge, because you can't capitalize on "views" and get "premium prices". In this case you have people who, at the time, invested in housing units that afforded them unobstructed views. Now, their views will be blocked and, even at 300, 500 and 500 feet, they can now have concerns over people peeping their windows. Welcome to NY!

I think I've mentioned it before, but very wealthy residents of UN Plaza apartments fought a strenuous, yet hopeless, battle against Trump World Tower - using the ridiculous argument that they would lose their views. A more productive route here is to elicit community ammenties from the project - rather than create an adversarial relationship from the get go. Fighting to preserve a cement "playground", when a new, more modern one is being offered, albeit in another closer location, is a dubious start to a community campaign.