Page 18 of 93 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Con Ed site on the East River

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Kolbster
    I wasn't aware of the goldman Sachs example, but this does happen, but generally not clothing stores, because they welcome more people because that= more business, but the flip side is more competition. So it is common place for a big store or even a group of small restaurants to go NIMBYB
    I think you're confusing Goldman Sachs, the world's third largest investment banking firm, with Saks Fifth Avenue, the upscale clothing store. Goldman Sachs was planning on building a 40 story building for itself on site 26, which is hardly something a clothing store would need.

Kliq6: Does American Express have its own building in the WFC? I thought they shared a big chunk of it with Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers, but I didn't know they had a whole building to themselves.

Well, I heard Lehman Brothers has abandoned Lower Manhattan for good. And as for Merril Lynch, they're still Downtown?

Hey, Kilq6, put your venture capital and Bio-tech space Downtown. Roomy and cheap, not too bad.

Forum Veteran

pianoman11686

Lehman has moved all operations out of the WFC and are now at 745 Seventh and 399 Park as well as Jersey City. American Express is the sole Tenant in Three WFC, there official HQ's

The Dude Abides

Of course, my mistake. I was probably thinking of Deloitte & Touche. There's still something I'm a little confused about. If American Express wanted their tower to be the tallest in the area, why would Goldman Sachs pose a threat? Isn't their tower 52 stories, whereas Goldman's would have been only 40?

Forum Veteran

yeah but heights in terms of floors are different. Goldman would need raised flooring for there trading floor levels, so those floors would be a higher height then what a normal office floor heights would be.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    I think you're confusing Goldman Sachs, the world's third largest investment banking firm, with Saks Fifth Avenue, the upscale clothing store.
    omg -- sorry, but this did give the best laugh of the day...

Forum Veteran

No offense but maybe we should split the last bunch of posts to the GS thread?

A rough idea of the area of redevelopment, and where it will mark the skyline:

Thanks for the helpful images NYGuy.

I have attached an edited version of one of your images just including the additional 79 story tower that will sit on the West side of 1st avenue at 40th street on a former Con Ed parking lot that now bears the SOLOW signs.

Any office space in this?

Thumbs up

Wow Neat!

How do you know where the towers are going to be? Like how do you know where the 85 story tower supose to go and where the apartment towers are and all of that?

To reiterate a point I made earlier in this thread: there is NO WAY towers anywhere close to that size are going to be built in those parcels. The land isn't zoned for it, and Trump only managed to put up TWT to the north through a very clever (and stealthy) purchase of adjacent air rights.

I would happily stand corrected, so go ahead, tell me I'm wrong.

Now these are the sites that have posters that read "Solo9W57", right? Sorry to side track, i just visited the site yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686
    I think you're confusing Goldman Sachs, the world's third largest investment banking firm, with Saks Fifth Avenue, the upscale clothing store. Goldman Sachs was planning on building a 40 story building for itself on site 26, which is hardly something a clothing store would need.

Kliq6: Does American Express have its own building in the WFC? I thought they shared a big chunk of it with Merrill Lynch and Lehman Brothers, but I didn't know they had a whole building to themselves.
    HAHA! That was the most ludicrous thing I have ever seen posted. Please tell me that was a joke, how you could have read the post and thought that I confused goldman Sachs with Saks Fifth avenue. Firstly there are in two different parts of manhattan, secondly one is a clothing store and one is an investment banking firm, thirdly, if you read what i wrote, how could you even think that? Shoot yourself.
    Just incase there was possible confusing areas in my post, i reread it and eventhough it still makes sense, I edited it to make it more clear....I still don't know where you pulled that one from.
    Just to powerphrase my post: What i was saying, i wasn't aware of the example of when the proposed Goldman Sachs tower was opposed by American Eagle. Also that that type of thing happens, and i gave an example, and offered a second view on it.
    Did you even fully read what was written?--I hope you didn't if that was what you gathered from it.
    Last edited by Kolbster; June 25th, 2005 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    Wow Neat!

How do you know where the towers are going to be? Like how do you know where the 85 story tower supose to go and where the apartment towers are and all of that?
    If I remember correctly, only the 708 1st Ave site was zoned for a large office building.

macreator, I was a little confused about those apartment towers because the last article only mentioned 4 towers. But either way you look at it, this development is nearly on the scale of the WTC redevelopment, (complete with design competition).

I can't wait until we get more specific details on this development.