Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Con Ed site on the East River

Default Con Ed site on the East River

lol, the damn NIMBY's i wish they would all go to their own little island somewhere.

Quote: from Rich Battista on 12:42 am on Dec. 14, 2002
    lol, the damn NIMBY's i wish they would all go to their own little island somewhere.
    They did, it's called Manhattan. Oh well.

Forum Veteran

Quote: from Kill Eye on 7:40 pm on Dec. 14, 2002
    Quote: from Rich Battista on 12:42 am on Dec. 14, 2002
    They did, it's called Manhattan. Oh well.
    ROFL

The NIMBYs kill me, but I also notice people on this board pretty much support any and every development with little or any consideration for anything but another tall building... ussually doesn't even have to be well designed, just tall. I do realise this is a "skyscraper forum" so what do I expect. I personally see no problem with this proposal. Why would anyone want a view of the east river anyway. Have you ever been up high in any towers on the east side and looked out over the East River? It's pretty lame. A dirty little river lined with smoke stacks, unkept factories and warehouses off into the distance on the Queens' side. If someone said, 'I'm going to block your view of that pestilence with a beautiful piece of architecture,' I'd go celebrate. However, I have no idea what they're building, so I cannot vouch for it being good architecture. For me, just the mere fact that it will be tall isn't enough to call it good architecture. Regardless, if I lived there I'd hope that my views faced West, out towards the skyline of midtown.

In the greatest city in the world! *You have to build tall, you have to build beautiful, sometimes they don't overlap. *

(Edited by amigo32 at 2:18 am on Dec. 16, 2002)

Nowhere in the New York permitting system are views protected, so NIMBYs have to resort to convoluted arguments like "too dense" or "destroys character of neighborhood."

Nowhere in the New York permitting system are views protected, so NIMBYs have to resort to convoluted arguments like "too dense" or "destroys character of neighborhood."
    You nailed it on that one.

Forum Veteran

We can only hope that city officials will keep their spines if and when the NIMBYs protest. *Most NIMBY movements that succeed do so because the politicians cave in.

It isn't so much that the politicians cave in, it is a gauge on how their constituency will *vote. If they feel that a significant number of likely voters who are part of their existing *voter base support a given cause (I.E. the opinions of voters who wouldn't have voted for them anyway are not worth counting... unless they are confident that supporting an issue of theirs will swing more votes to their side than it will lose from their existing support base.). They don't just arbitrarily cave.

They have held meetings with the community....its entertaining. Its just a measure on the developers part to pretend to "listen" to residents demands. They had mentioned possible reuse of existing buildings, the only possible candidate is nearly gone now. In the end though there will be very tall residential buildings, 66 storeys, and a huge commercial development. If it results in a huge return for the developer, and a new skyline for us, the NIMBY's will have little ground. Trump went to the supreme court and won. This is different, there is no case here.

Forum Veteran

When exactly is construction going to start on the Con Ed development?

(Edited by TLOZ Link5 at 7:41 pm on Dec. 16, 2002)

Supposendly Rich who used to post here has the in on this project...

First, Pfizer has supposendly signed on and is in the process of drawing designs. Supposendly they are as far along as looking for storefront tenants...As such a large Pfizer symbol will serve as self-advertisement for this building.

Other details include a flat-roof and a light blue fascade.

Now here's where it gets interesting, a mid to late 2005 start date. And as of now I can tell you the working height is nearly 1100 feet, and 86 commercial storeys. Although we are in early stages, the developers are trying to get it past the city board. NIMBIES might pour rain on the festivities in that there was talk of lowering it to 57 storeys...

The original height was 888 feet, Pfizer signed on and the height was upped... as of now 1100 feet, but it is possible now that it will be lowered.

Nearly 1100 ft. *Flat roofed? *Good. *But why should they lower the height? *The site was supposedly zoned for that size. *I don't understand NIMBYs. *What's the difference between 800 and 1100 ft? *Shadow?

Forum Veteran

That would make for some abnormally low floor to floor heights.

I don't trust 'light blue'. Look at AOLTW.

Quote: from NYguy on 7:37 pm on April 10, 2003
    What's the difference between 800 and 1100 ft? *Shadow?
    Especially since some of those buildings nearby have nearly no windows facing the East River, IIRC.

My only concern about an 1100fter there is it diminishing Chrysler's impact. Somebody mind whipping up a 1100ft box on some photos?

Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast