Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Con Ed site on the East River

Default Con Ed site on the East River

good info, thx.

So the two steamplants & smokestacks will have to be demolished for this project? *They look kinda cool there, and for their age and appearance, possibly worth preserving. Are they not as great or worthwhile as they appear?

Forum Veteran

That would be amazing. *I hope it's true.

A blue skin might be great with the sun and water, etc.

I guess they need room, with all those Pharmacia folks possibly coming over. *

NICE!!!! *I can't wait.

There's no way a 1,000 footer is going into that hole in the ground at 41st and First Avenue. *

You will recall cagey Trump managed to buy up several buildings' worth of air rights and managed to build TWT at 48th and 1st. *Given the amount of opposition to that project, it's amazing it occurred at all.

The loopholes that allowed Trump to pull that off have, I think, been closed, and there's no way the site at 41st and 1st has been zoned for a super-tall skyscraper. *

And...even if zoning were to allow it, it's hard to see how such a monster building makes sense. *There are tens of millions of empty square feet available...the site is very far from Grand Central...and so on.

I would be happy to be corrected --

Forum Veteran

Pfizer wants a tower for themselves. That makes sense.

yeah your right it doesnt make sense that they would even want to have that property as their headquarters since its as far as you can get east from Grand Central and would not be so convenient for their workers, but the same could be said for the UN, their people get there somehow

Quote: from JD on 10:33 pm on April 11, 2003
    There's no way a 1,000 footer is going into that hole in the ground at 41st and First Avenue. *

The loopholes that allowed Trump to pull that off have, I think, been closed, and there's no way the site at 41st and 1st has been zoned for a super-tall skyscraper. *
    The site is already zoned for whatever development takes place there, nothing legally can stop it. *But more importantly, its part of the larger overall redevelopment of the Con Ed site, which is inevitable. *The local community board supposedly supports a large tower on that site as well, which is unusual in Manhattan.

Quote: from yanni111 on 3:30 am on April 12, 2003
    yeah your right it doesnt make sense that they would even want to have that property as their headquarters since its as far as you can get east from Grand Central and would not be so convenient for their workers, but the same could be said for the UN, their people get there somehow
    And its a lot closer to Grand Central than Jersey City. *Not too many waterfront locations ready for this kind of development in Manhattan.

As far as office space, *the vacancy rate is high, but we are talking about construction that won't even begin for a couple of years. *Its similar to the situation with Bank of America that is also looking for a new tower in Manhattan.

I don't worry about the high vacancy rate.
    Many office buildings are too old and NY needs modern offices. New constructions of that size are inevitable.

Forum Veteran

Plus with the money they'll rake in from selling their other properties (42nd st, Pharmiacia complex in NJ) they'd be set. A lot of companies seem to be selling and then leasing (sometimes even the same office).

What a potential 1,100 ft tower would look like at the site...(Zerton at skyscraper forum)

But of course the impression will be totally different if a cluster rises instead of a single tall tower.

If this building(s) are going to be built than that would be a good thing for New York. *When was the last time that *a 1000 footer was built in manhattan? *like 34 yearz? *That is a long time... too long. *And the US must keep its image and fight off the other amazing, beautiful, HUGE developements that are in the making in Asia... especially China... and Dubia. *If they build this tower and the new towers are Ground Zero, and 1 New York PLace, and 10 *Columbus and those other buildings, The image of New York would be rejuvenated as well as the skyline, and that is a main asset for the well being/moral of the people of our ciity. *I am looking forward to this developement, and hopefully i could see this new structure from my house in Brooklyn. *I really hope that the Nimbys (or how ever you spell it) don't get their way, because if they do, then they would spoil a chance that would in turn spoil our reputation internationally and domesticly. *We would be seen as a very conservative city, that limmits the heights of buildings. *I don't remember who said this, but i know it was a member of this forum, "the height of a building reflects and harbors growth, so as the height is increased, then so is the growth of the city, economically, population wise, reputation, and many other things. *I really hope that we get this thing. *It would temperarily replace the empty (vacant) Twin Tower space in the DT area. *Then when the Libenskin proposal is kicked into full gear and steal starts to rise, the city will be "in better condition"
    Also NY has been growing so much, that it is inevitable that growth, and construction like this would come about, and it is a good, thing, and should be welcomed, not something that should be opressed.
    Im all for this stuff. *Also, i hope Brooklyn can get in on the action too! halla

Quote: from Fabb on 4:08 pm on April 14, 2003
    But of course the impression will be totally different if a cluster rises instead of a single tall tower.
    There will be more than one single tower. *But the site of the office development is only large enough for one large tower. *The cluster of residential towers will be to the south.

Here's another look at the site...

Some photos of demolition at the Con Ed site taken last year...

Page 3 of 93 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast