Page 50 of 93 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Con Ed site on the East River

The Dude Abides

There are some special zoning variances that he's applying for. Part of this entire community opposition is aimed directly at preventing those variances/permits from being issued. It's not that it would be illegal; it's that they want their voices heard.

My problem is this (and I know it's been said a thousand times already): If you're in a neighborhood like this, that is surrounded by tall buildings, what good does it do to reduce a building's height by 200 feet? You can already see where this is going: Solow has added a building, which makes the project denser, and other buildings have been shortened, which makes the project bulkier. If you're worried about shadows, don't live in Manhattan. Or better yet, just don't live in Midtown. Move to the Lower East Side.

I understand community concerns when they're rational. I've read through some of the statements given by the local politicians. School overcrowding is a major issue, so it's reasonable to ask the developer to include a school, especially when he plans to include so many new housing units. It's also reasonable to include retail, because more people means more services to be desired. It's also reasonable to include open space, and provide some improvements to the surrounding infrastructure. What do these demands all have in common? The fact that none of them affect whats going on hundreds of feet up in the sky.

I was only objecting to the blanket statement that implied community involvement was a failure in New York. Like it or not, the city would be worse off if developers had a free hand.

Many of the people that opposed the highway through the Village did it for the most selfish of reasons.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

A reduction of 200 feet is what Solow proposed. They want more reduction. Heights of 0 would be best in their opinion.
    Last edited by antinimby; June 27th, 2006 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Heck, why weren't these NIMBY's fighting to save the old powerplant?
    They only cared about the 800 foot towers.
    These modern day NIMBYs do not have preservation at heart.
    I totally agree with you. This old plant was beautiful. Where were these wankers when Solow tore it down? Also, why don't these weiners make some good use of themselves and protest the detruction of the townhouses on 56th Street, the Drake, etc.? These wankers are full of it!

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    I was only objecting to the blanket statement that implied community involvement was a failure in New York. Like it or not, the city would be worse off if developers had a free hand.
    It was only blanket because you selected it out of the rest of the post.

We've gone back and forth many times about the role of the community with respect to keeping developers on their toes. You know I don't condone letting anything, be it developers, NIMBYs or politicians, go unchecked.
    There is probably a better solution out there, but the current system we have now definitely needs some adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    I totally agree with you. This old plant was beautiful. Where were these wankers when Solow tore it down? Also, why don't these weiners make some good use of themselves and protest the detruction of the townhouses on 56th Street, the Drake, etc.? These wankers are full of it!
    That's exactly what I mean by the system we have needs adjusting. There are nice old buildings that are getting torn down and no one does anything about it (other than a few wirednewyork forum members making some noise). Yet, when something nice is propose for an empty parking lot, people fight it. You can't tell me this is the best for the city.

The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer
    Also, why don't these weiners make some good use of themselves and protest the detruction of the townhouses on 56th Street, the Drake, etc.? These wankers are full of it!
    56th street is not Tudor City's backyard.

Good one! Clearly though, these wankers don't care about the city as a hole. They care only about their maggot strewn, filthy 4 block area.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    It was only blanket because you selected it out of the rest of the post.
    I can only respond to what you write, not what you mean. Don't tell me I took it out of context. Your post was mostly concerned with the history of community opposition, and I responded in a historical context.

I qualified my opposition to the statement with...
    I agree with the point that community opposition is often directed in the wrong direction, but I must take issue with this...

So can we agree the problem isn't community involvement but stupid community involvement?

Community should be involved but not to the extent of shooting itself in the foot --as it's presently in the process of doing with its idiotic height obsession. The result will be fat, graceless buildings and more pervasive shadows.

^ I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    I can only respond to what you write, not what you mean. Don't tell me I took it out of context. Your post was mostly concerned with the history of community opposition, and I responded in a historical context.
    Yes but history is a long time. I was talking about more recent history.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    So can we agree the problem isn't community involvement but stupid community involvement?
    That's exactly the problem, but I don't have an answer.

Removing community involvement would create a vacuum, since there is little city mechanism outside of hiistoric districts and general zoning to establish sound development guidelines.

It's hard to get people to understand that the sun moves, and a narrow shadow passes more quickly than a bulky one.

It's a question of education.

Problem is, many community activists can't be educated.

You can't learn if you already know everything.

What is the demographic of people who attend these meetings? I imagine it must be mostly senior citizens and the elderly. If so, it's just a matter of time before their numbers slowly dwindle in this town (to think very morbidly on how to solve the Nimby problem).

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yes but there's always a fresh crop coming up. If you want to see the effects of unchecked development, take a look across the Hudson at Newport/Pavonia in JC.