Page 70 of 90 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1347

Thread: Con Ed site on the East River

Does anyone know where I can find the rendering of an early concept/study that was done for the Con Ed site that was eight or nine tall, white, linked towers, reminiscent of the United Architects proposal for the WTC. I don't think it has ever been posted here. I came across this rendering a week or two ago and can't remember where I found it.

Thanks in advance.

Alonzo, thanks for the link, but that is not the rendering I'm referring to.

The one I'm talking about looks kind of like the one below, but is white lattice and taken from the East River:

I don't think it was done by a Solow-commissioned architect, but by a random firm as a study for the potential for linked towers and sky lobbies.

That is a proposal for the Trade Center site though not the Con Ed site.

Google United architects world trade center and you will get a bunch of images.

I was using the United Architects WTC image above as an example of what this ConEd rendering looked like. It was basically a wall of touching skyscrapers similar to the UA WTC renders, but white.

I will post it here if I find it again.

hmm...no clue. Any of these?

Yes! ^ The bottom one is the one I'm talking about. Thanks, Derek! Do you know if it was one of the competition entries? Who is the architect?

No problem. It was just a study not affiliated with the developer.

http://www.archinode.com/tall.html

I admit I have a problem

^ Alleys at the base, scrapers and skybridges on top.
    It's very Blade Runner, in a good way.

What a fantastic proposal -- so sad that we're instead going to get some dreary, fat, featureless "modern" boxes. This "bladerunner-esque" design, as 212 has dubbed it, also looks a hell of a lot better than any of the Hudson Yards proposals save perhaps Brookfield's.

I love the way the third rendering has towers that sit above low bases with what the previous poster described as alleys...this would create great opportunities for intimate pedestrian experiences away from cars and smaller scale retail for interesting businesss.
    This concept should be employed on the West Side as much as possible, and could have been done at Atlantic yards. I could imagine parts where the non-grid alleys open up into European-style piazzas as well.

$4B Solow Development Faces Panel Vote

By PETER KIEFER
    Staff Reporter of the Sun
    January 28, 2008

The Bloomberg administration is poised today to clear the way for what would be Manhattan's largest residential development project, on 9 acres of land just south of the United Nations.

The $4 billion plan by developer Sheldon Solow calls for the construction of six large residential towers with about 4,000 apartments, one office tower, and more than 500 public parking spaces.

The city Planning Commission will vote today on the recommendations on zoning changes that could allow the project to move forward, including reductions in height and density and assurances from Mr. Solow that he is committed to including enough affordable housing in his final plan.

A person with knowledge of the review process who declined to speak on the record before the vote said it was "extremely likely that they commission will adopt the recommendations" today but was unsure whether the vote would be unanimous.

Some of the recommendations include lowering the height of a building on the west side of First Avenue to 600 feet from 721 feet, reducing the number of public parking spaces, a provision regarding public access to a park, and reducing the development's floor area ratio, a measurement of building density, to 10 from 12. Much of the negotiations with the Planning Commission has centered on imposing various incentives into the recommendations to push Mr. Solow to include more affordable housing, a source said.

The plan will now move on to the City Council, which must approve the project. Typically in land use issues, the council defers to the opinion of the council member whose district covers the project.

The local council member for the Solow project, Daniel Garodnick, is fighting on behalf of residents who say the project is out of scale for the neighborhood; he said more changes are necessary to win his approval.

"We will be looking to make changes to this plan when it comes to the council, and we hope to be able to develop this neighborhood," Mr. Garodnick said.

"The community has long supported significant development on this site, but the difference between the developer and the community board is mostly of degree," he said.

"Height and density issues are major, as is the affordable housing component and new units built on site. Generally, we want this neighborhood to be developed, but done in a responsible way."

After today's vote, the City Council will have 50 days to make proposed changes.

Mr. Solow has already shown a willingness to grant concessions to the community. The proposed height of his buildings have been dropped, and he agreed to leave space for a public school and set aside 600 of the apartments as affordable units.

According to the chairman of the Community Board 6, Charles Buchwald, the residents' concerns are myriad.

"There is unhappiness with it," he said. "It's too big, it's too dense, it destroys a street grid and doesn't leave access to the riverfront, and the affordable housing is not really affordable, or at least the way the community wants it."

Copyright 2008 The New York Sun

Quote Originally Posted by brianac View Post
    the affordable housing is not really affordable, or at least the way the community wants it."
    Who are these folks, and why do they want affordable housing?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default Not sure of who they are

but they seem to have social consciousness.

Commission approves scaled-down version of project near U.N.

By KAREN MATTHEWS | Associated Press Writer 5:42 PM EST, January 28, 2008 Article tools

NEW YORK - The city Planning Commission on Monday approved a modified plan for a development that would sprout up just south of the United Nations and tower over the international landmark.

The decision set up a possible battle in the City Council over the project, which calls for building seven slender towers at the 8.7-acre site of a former Con Edison power plant.

The approved revisions to the plan shrink the tallest building from 721 feet to 600 feet, narrow the width of one office tower from 320 to 280 feet and reduce the parking garage from 651 to 400 spaces.

Even with the changes, the development would still stand taller than the 505-foot U.N. Secretariat. Neighborhood activists have said they would like to see buildings no higher than 400 feet in deference to the U.N., and they want apartments at the site but no office buildings.

The Planning Commission voted 10-2 with one abstention to approve the project, and it now goes to the City Council, which has 50 days to consider it.

Councilman Dan Garodnick, who represents the area, said the plan would have to undergo further changes before he could support it.

"I continue to have serious concerns about the size and scale of this plan," Garodnick said after the vote. "But this is a process. We will see if there is any way to allow development but to keep it to a more modest level."

Developer Sheldon Solow had earlier bowed to neighborhood pressure by agreeing to provide space for a public school and to set aside some 600 apartments for moderate-income residents.

The property along First Avenue between East 35th Street and East 41st Street is Manhattan's largest privately owned undeveloped piece of real estate.

A spokesman for Solow's company, East River Realty Co., said in a statement: "This exciting development will create more than 7,000 permanent jobs, enhance the East River waterfront, and significantly add to the economic and social vitality of the city."

More articles
    Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.