Page 83 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3373798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,245 of 1385

Thread: Con Ed site on the East River

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Bob is short for Robert.

Pre-war goes well with everything. I think that's actually a good idea.

Throwing in a couple limestone buildings among all that glass would break up the monotony.

No thanks on Robert AM. I wouldn't want another sleepy community like Tudor City or Sutton Place on the E. Side. I think the E Side could use some dynamic, cutting edge buildings.

And those are just massing models, the towers aren't going to be identical blue glass buildings. I think Meier was a good choice but I have low-expectations of what SOM will bring us. Mixing it up would be a good idea though.

How Solow develops the recreational spaces will decide if the development actually becomes a destination for New Yorkers or another Riverside South. Looks promising so far.

DBox

DBox

DBox

Perhaps when this is done LIC will have a nice enough skyline that's worth pointing at.

DOEGOE
    Municipal Arts Society
    Last edited by Derek2k3; December 20th, 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

There are no "100 floor" projects here and I didn't say Stern did prewar, the guy that posted before me did.

I was checking out Richard Meier's website and it looks like it was redone since the last time I visited. Anyway, there were a few renderings of this project that I don't think were posted in this thread yet.

The East River Master Plan Project will develop a four parcel site stretching along the FDR Drive in New York City, from East 41st Street just south of the United Nations, to East 35th Street. The project will comprise three residential towers designed by Richard Meier & Partners, an additional Richard Meier-designed residential tower will located along the west side of First Avenue, and one mixed-use commercial tower designed by Skidmore Owings & Merrill, all between 38th and 41st Streets east of First Avenue.

Approximately 75% of the project footprint is allocated to open space for a magnificent pubic park with plantings, seating areas, skating rink, and other amenities. A boulevard arrangement of trees is envisioned along First Avenue to the East River on both 39th and 40th Streets. These walkways, along with carefully planned park vistas, will connect the entire neighborhood to a promenade overlooking the water's edge.

The overall project site allows for a maximum floor area ratio of 10, resulting in the planned buildings ranging in height from 487 feet to 607 feet. The intention is build approximately 4.75 million square feet with an estimated 2,500 new residences. Public and accessory parking will be provided underground. New prime retail space will be created to face First Avenue, and a restaurant pavilion will be sited adjacent to the promenade with views to the East River.

Not very exciting, albeit elegant. A table top of similar 600' glass towers next to each other won't help the skyline. Thank you NY bureaucracy.
    Besides that fat one, the slenderness of the towers makes them look taller.

Nice find.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; February 26th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyguy999 View Post
    Approximately 75% of the project footprint is allocated to open space for a magnificent pubic park with plantings, seating areas, skating rink, and other amenities.
    I loathe the fact that this is seen as a good thing. To my mind, it means dead, blighted empty space; trash blowing around on dead, pallid grass in October-April; and wasted opportunities to build successful neighborhoods -- all a bit of a throwback to the postwar housing projects.

EDIT: Anyone know what the other two glass buildings 2 blocks farther south are in the 2nd rendering down?

The three slender buildings between 38th and 40th are nice. The other buildings, the one with its wide side facing the East River and the one with the cross bracing suck. I believe the cross bracing design is SOM. All buildings could use some more height but with the NIMBY's that's unlikely.

I hope that this lame project is not built for a long time and that it is redesigned by the time it is built.

Moreover, as a long-time resident of the far east side, I can't fathom who would spend millions of dollars to live in an area c omprised largely of run-down tenements, particularly when it's surrounded by concrete security barriers for the UN and the Midtown Tunnel. The area by the UN should be a showplace. Instead, pursuant to classic New York style, it's dreary.

I actually like the designs, as simple as there are. Its better than whats there now.

Height isn't everything and I think these suit NY well. These are v. high quality buildings, albeit minamalist, and will help make NY look more modern and open (nice contrast with stone and brick). The more high quality glass NY gets, the more NY will project a renewed image as a city looking towards the future.

As usual, Richard Meier hits a triple --if not a home run. He can make towers in a park look desirable, because the towers look so good. Wish there weren't a whole block gap to the UN.

This will be pretty good, not great.

I'm going to have to reiterate what people have already said. Towers in the park is a dead idea. It's a dead end. They create dead spaces. They only look good on paper or in the imaginations of anal-retentive ideologue 'futurists' and egotist architects. Hundreds of years of architecture and urban design has hit upon the most preferable and efficient scheme: the square. Towers in the park was just a ill conceived fad and anyone who still perpetuates it is a fool or a reactionary.

Unless the park is spectacular, this won't be attracting anyone to this part of town. Perhaps that was the goal of the nimbys.

The Meier towers are almost exactly the same designs that won the competition in 2001.

SOM's office towers look like they could've been designed at any point in the last 30 years and could have been dropped anywhere. The UN, designed more than 50 years ago, has more character.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    No thanks on Robert AM. I wouldn't want another sleepy community like Tudor City or Sutton Place on the E. Side. I think the E Side could use some dynamic, cutting edge buildings.
    Though sleepy, the places you cite have character. These are just two such in New York; bet you can name half a dozen more.

The buildings will be dynamic and cutting-edge if they're Meier's usual or if they're up to Stern's 15CPW standard.

Not all places must be Times Square, or nearly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post

Unless the park is spectacular, this won't be attracting anyone to this part of town.
    I disagree. It will become one of the connectors between public spaces along the East River, which are popular with those who want to enjoy some open space. With the new East River promenade at points further south (which is not in itself "spectacular" but does offer spectacular views of the City) a park here will create green space that pulls folks to the shore of Manhattan from midtown south.