Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 30 Rockefeller Center - GE Building / former RCA Building - by Raymond Hood

Default 30 Rockefeller Center - GE Building / former RCA Building - by Raymond Hood

Architect: Reinhard & Hofmeister; Corbett, Harrison & MacMurray; Raymond Hood, Godley & Fouilhouxs

Year: 1932

Style: Art Deco

Description: This building is the centerpiece of Rockefeller Center. Formerly the RCA building, the building now houses the headquarters of General Electric. Most recently, 30 Rockefeller celebrated its 70th anniversary in 2002. The building is featured in the famous "Lunch Time Atop a Skyscraper" photo.

Some of the art work on the building

Celebrating 70 years, an artist molds the people in the "Lunchtime atop a Skyscraper" photo, which features 30 Rockefeller under construction.

Default 30 Rockefeller

Great photos of a great building.
    I really wish the observation level was open to the general public!

Default 30 Rockefeller

Well the rainbow room is open to the public on the 65th floor, probably best view in the city....im suprised no one has posted pics from from this view....i worked as a part of a crew to decorate this floor for christmas party and kicked myself for not brnging my camera

Default 30 Rockefeller

I love the midday view of this building from it's base: it is delicate brickwork with lots of wonderful art deco, and it is thin and narrow as it goes straight up. Tishman Speyer owns it, and it is one of their midtown jewels.

Default 30 Rockefeller

30 Rock is incredible. *Anyone who has a serious problem with this structure must be insane.

Default 30 Rockefeller

Im not so sure, the lines dont stary far from Daily News. And not nearly as elegant. I would actually have preffered a simple slab with no setbacks.

Forum Veteran

Default 30 Rockefeller

My dad might be working there next year, at Lazard. *60th floor. *It's a welcome change from 1NYPlz, I can tell you that much.

Default 30 Rockefeller

(Edited by ddny at 6:59 pm on Jan. 5, 2003)

Default 30 Rockefeller

I miss the RCA neons.

Default 30 Rockefeller

A stunning classic. 30 Rockefeller Center is where NBC is headquarterd at. I hear the views from that building is stunning, like the Empire State Building.

Default 30 Rockefeller

Yeah that sign is pretty weak, especially on that building. *They should go for something retro, like a big swirly GE logo in bright red neon:

Default 30 Rockefeller

When walking through the streets I sometimes don't recognize this building. is that that the GE building or something else? From different views the building takes on different styles. It can be a slick, small building from one angle and a huge piece of concrete mass from an other angle.

ddny I love how you show off NYC buildings once in a while. I think we should be able to review the buildings shown.

If that was the case, I would give this building a 8.7/10

Default 30 Rockefeller

9.9/10
    Why not 10 ? There's something I dislike on the roof.

Default 30 Rockefeller

Quote: from Stern on 8:24 am on Dec. 23, 2002
    Im not so sure, the lines dont stary far from Daily News. And not nearly as elegant. I would actually have preffered a simple slab with no setbacks.
    The difference in height may account for that, perhaps?

Thanks for the detail photos, particularly of the top and the setbacks, DDNY, which is hard to appreciate when you see photos depicting just the overall "slab" effect from some angles of this building.

I love the ones of that very famous photo and those fearless workers (just how did they get there and how did they get off??!!)

Default 30 Rockefeller

The picture might be deluding.
    There was an ad for an insurance company that gave a similar impression.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast