Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Ansonia Hotel - 2109 Broadway @ West 73rd Street - by Paul E. M. Duboy

Default The Ansonia Hotel - 2109 Broadway @ West 73rd Street - by Paul E. M. Duboy

Year: 1904

Architect: Paul E. M. Duboy

Style: Beaux Arts

Description: Probably the NYC building that closely resembles Paris. The building was home to many artists...see below for details.

Default Ansonia Hotel

That architecture is really eye-catching. Nice Pictures! *

Default Ansonia Hotel

if you think this one is pretty there is a building on 7th avenue and 58 street on the northeast corner that has to be the building with the most intricate and detailed outsides walls i have ever seen. Ive driven by it many times but never had the chance to find out its name. Anyone know what im talking about? It looks to be some kind of white stone with tons and tons of carving all over it!!!

Default Ansonia Hotel

Although in the Beaux Arts style (I think), this building is actually not like ones in Paris, since it's approximately 2.5 times taller than similar-style buildings in France. *When I was last in Paris, I remember seeing a number of these buildings, but they were generally 6-8 stories high, while the Ansonia has 15.

Default Ansonia Hotel

That's right.
    Another difference is that most buildings in Paris are not made of bricks.

Quote: from yanni111 on 1:06 am on Jan. 6, 2003
    there is a building on 7th avenue and 58 street on the northeast corner that has to be the building with the most intricate and detailed outsides walls i have ever seen. Ive driven by it many times but never had the chance to find out its name. Anyone know what im talking about?
    I do.
    But I don't know its name. It appears in W. Allen's Annah and her sisters.

Default Ansonia Hotel

Most buildings in central Paris are not made with a steel frame, either.
    The Ansonia is one of the best examples of the Beaux-Art style in New York. *I just saw Don't say a Word on HBO, and the Ansonia is where they live. *They round balconies even play a small part in the movie.

I know which one you're talking about on 58th street. * *It's called Alywin Court. *They recently finished renovating it after it was behind scaffolding for what seemed like years. *Check it out:

Default Ansonia Hotel

yes dbhstockton! thats it! thanks! its almost too much detailed carving into the stone!! i wonder if those outside walls were carved by some kind of machine or by hand?

Default Ansonia Hotel

A lot of it was either molded or cast, I think. *It's terra cotta.

June 20, 2004

NEW YORK IN FOCUS

A Grande Dame With a Lively Past

Michael Madie, a resident who hopes to restore the building’s “pristine grandeur.’’

Images in a show celebrating 100 years of the Ansonia include Vincent Joyce, who has worked at the front desk for 31 years.

BABE RUTH and Arturo Toscanini called it home. Plato's Retreat and the Continental Baths, where a young Bette Midler sang, moved in decades later. But the Ansonia, the Beaux-Arts wedding cake of an apartment hotel at Broadway and 73rd Street, eventually became as notable for its contentiousness as for its celebrities. In just one of the Ansonia's lively chapters, the building was threatened with demolition in the 1970's; only after considerable efforts by residents was it saved.

One organization that supported these efforts was the Municipal Art Society, which is now presenting an exhibition called "At the Ansonia Hotel: A Broadway Landmark Turns 100.'' The show contains 30 photographs by Tom Wolff, many of which depict current residents and are accompanied by interviews. The show opens Friday at the Urban Center Galleries, 457 Madison Avenue at 51st Street, and runs through Aug. 16.

In the words of Cristina Del Sesto, who curated the show and did the interviews, the building is "the most litigious in New York'' but also a place where "the walls don't speak, they sing.''

"It's impossible to say whether the Ansonia should be more famous for its architecture or its ethos,'' she added.

And as Kent Barwick, president of the Municipal Art Society, put it, had the Ansonia been razed, "our city would have suffered far more than the loss of a Beaux-Arts masterpiece.''

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

Banned Member

I think the Ansonia also hosted the gay Continental Baths in its basement (where Bette Midler famously started her singing career). It later became the straight/swinger Plato's Retreat and was finally closed by the city in response to the AIDS crisis.

The Dude Abides

Not really sure why this thread doesn't have any (working) photos of the building. Anyway, here it is:

The Dude Abides

The 102-Year-Old Ansonia's Unlikely New Tenant: a Loehmann's

By GABRIELLE BIRKNER - Staff Reporter of the Sun

July 20, 2006

The ground floor of an Upper West Side apartment building known for its Beaux-Arts architecture and its celebrity tenants will soon be home to a department store known for its communal dressing rooms and its popularity with bargain-seeking bubbes. Come February, Loehmann's department store will occupy a 37,000-square-foot space in the Ansonia on Broadway, at West 73rd Street.

Ten years after it made inroads in Manhattan, with the opening of its 60,000-square-foot store in Chelsea, the 85-year-old retailer announced plans this week for a new store at 2101 Broadway, supplanting the Gristedes supermarket in the landmark building.

Loehmann's, which was founded in Brooklyn and is headquartered in the Bronx, will reportedly pay $250 a square foot in rent, though the retailer refused to confirm that price.

The company's vice president of advertising, Fred Forcellati, said Loehmann's is also looking for four more retail locations in the borough —exploring possible venues in Soho, Midtown, the Upper East Side, and elsewhere.

News of Loehmann's slated expansion coincided with the sale of the company to a Dubai-based investment house, Istithmar PJSC. The discount chain was purchased for a reported $300 million from a private equity firm, Arcapita, in Atlanta. The new owners say they plan to increase the number of Loehmann's stores from 60 to 100 during the next five years — an ambitious plan for a company that emerged from bankruptcy in 2000.

"The Upper West side is a high-traffic area, with a lot going on from a retail perspective," Mr. Forcellati said."It fits the profile of who our customer is, and it has great potential to attract tourists as well. Everything about it is right."

While most of its retail space will be in the basement, the store will also have a presence at street level, according to Mr. Forcellati. It will feature communal and private fitting rooms, and a free personal shopping service like what is available at its Beverly Hills and Chelsea stores. "The personal shopper has the inside scoop," he said. "You'll say, ‘I love Donna Karan' or ‘I love Calvin Klein,' and they can pull stuff for you."

Though under different ownership, the store will continue with its recent efforts to cultivate a more youthful image — stocking contemporary designs that are popular with younger customers. Mr. Forcellati said that in the past decade, the average age of Loehmann's shoppers has dropped at least 10 years, and is now about 35.

The author of "The Sky's the Limit: Passion and Property in Manhattan," which chronicles the history of the Ansonia, Steven Gaines, said the income derived from the Loehmann's lease will help with the upkeep of the ornate, 102-year-old building. "Loehmann's is a brand name, and it will be an anchor tenant," he said. "The Ansonia is in constant need of repair, and the more anchor tenants it has, the better."

Mr. Gaines said he did not see "tremendous irony" in Loehmann's move into the "wedding cake" building that was once home to Babe Ruth, Arturo Toscanini, and Gustav Mahler. "Tiffany or Cartier or Saks don't belong there," he said. "The Upper West Side of New York has always been an urban mix of cultures. It's never really been considered chic — even Central Park West, which is glamorous — in the same way the East Side is. Loehmann's is a perfect fit."

Retail chains Sephora and the North Face, and a Commerce Bank branch are among the Ansonia's current commercial tenants. Nearby stores include Urban Outfitters, Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, and other suburban shopping mall staples. When the new store opens next year, it will be Loehmann's 17th in the tristate area.

© 2006 The New York Sun, One SL, LLC. All rights reserved.

Nearby stores include Urban Outfitters, Banana Republic, Pottery Barn, and other suburban shopping mall staples.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 / NY Sun
    The 102-Year-Old Ansonia's Unlikely New Tenant: a Loehmann's

... most of its retail space will be in the basement ... It will feature communal and private fitting rooms ...

Those communal and private "fitting" rooms might cause some to feel a sense of deja vu ...
    In the late 1960s, Steve Ostrow opened the famous Continental Baths in the basement of the landmark 1903 Ansonia Hotel

Default Ansonia Apartment Hotel Building

Can't believe that this old building is still standing. I have posted a print of it from 1906... actually its a very old postcard print, but postcards views are some of the best available from this time period. You can see it in all its former glory on my BLOG.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast