Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearst Tower - 300 West 57th Street @ Eighth Avenue - by Norman Foster

Default Hearst Magazine Tower

Where did you hear that from?

Gross area: 856,000 ft2 / 79,500 m2
    Zoning Area: 721,000 ft2 / 67,000 m2 (120,000 ft2 / 11,000 m2 from subway bonus)
    Typical Gross Floor area: 20,000 ft2 (1,900 m2)
    Typical Floor to Floor Height: 4 m
    Building Height: 597 ft (182 m)
    Number of storeys: 42

According to the numbers they already added in the bonus.
    "zoning bonus that would permit a building of 720,000 square feet, 20 percent larger than would usually be allowed"

The community groups twisted this probably to get more support or maybe just a misunderstanding. They probably thought it is a 42 sotry tower over a 6 story base but it's *36. Then if you count in the 6 more stories the bonus it would be 54.

ahha, lol, all the little loop holes

While I try not to exaggerate, If these NIMBY's completely had it their way, they would actually reduce it from 6 floors to two. Sound familiar?

From the NIMBY point of view, why not just live underground?

Forum Veteran

Quote: from amigo32 on 2:29 am on Jan. 15, 2003
    From the NIMBY point of view, why not just live underground?
    Then they'd argue about the lack of light and air =P

Rich and Dbhstockton - I agree with ya that this should be taller. I wish they had renderings of this from Jersey, since I think it's not gonna stick out too much among the 7th Ave./Colubus Circle cluster that has risen in the last 20 years.

I think this will be the LVMH tower of our decade...not necessarily the tallest or the most noticed new tower in the city, but the one that *the critics and fans talk about, as well as the tower that pushes design in a new direction.

Hearst 597ft @ 42 floors - vs - LVMH 328 ft @ 25 floors

Come on now...

You won't see much from the Circle sure, but from the west side you will, and it's a corner lot, LVMH is a mid block building. LVMH is flush with its neighbors on both sides. Hearst is up on a pedestal by itself. It doesn't touch another building from any direction. The footprint for Hearst is probably 5 times that of LVMH. It might not be a skyline defining building, but it will have visibility, you can be sure of that.

(Edited by chris at 3:42 am on Jan. 18, 2003)

I guess you're right Chris. It's just funny how everyone knows of Norman Foster's idea for the WTC site, which might not get built, and hardly anyone in the general public knows of this, and this is a go! I'm looking forward to it - this the NYTT are the only two major projects that are groundbreaking this year, from what I can think of right now.

Hearst vs WTC...

Sure more have heard of it, once again, think of what you're comparing.

Hearst 597ft @ 42 floors - vs - LVMH 328 ft @ 25 floors

Come on now...
    Chris, You may have missed JerzDevl2000's point. *I shouldn't have to tell you that there's more to a skyscraper than just height. *This forum is also supposed to be about architecture.

(Edited by dbhstockton at 12:59 pm on Jan. 18, 2003)

Maybe they should have demolished the building on which their building it on. That part of the building really doesn't match with the top, but aside from that the Hearst building will be a nice addition to the NYC skyline.

The bottom half of the building is kind of a landmark (between that and 2 Colombus Circle, two of the funkiest in the city). *

I do wish the new Hearst building could be an wholly independant architectural statement, but I assume there is some attachment to the old building in the Hearst family, and preserving the facade is a tactic that helped with the NIMBY's. *As a side-note, the NY Times has acquired landmark status just for the facade of its old building off Times Square, so that could be the scene of a similar project once they move out.

The Hearst building was designed by [Joseph?] Urban, a famous Austrian set designer of the time. *I think that really explains the over-the-top theatricality of its art-deco. *It looks like something right out of Batman's Gotham City. *Trully weird.

> Chris, You may have missed JerzDevl2000's point. *I shouldn't
    > have to tell you that there's more to a skyscraper than just height. *
    > This forum is also supposed to be about architecture.

Um, I think you missed the point completely.

JerzDevl2000 is saying that Hearst is beautiful like LVMH, but it's too bad, also like LVMH, that it will not be tall enough to stand out in the skyline, and therefor will not get much notice except in architecture circle... That it will be great, but not contribute to the skyline. I'm stating for the reasons above, that I disagree, and state the reasons why it will not be an obscure gem, but a prominent gem, and state the reasons why it will have more visibility than LVMH.

I think you're the one who completely missed the point.

Due to the fact that JerzDevl2000 replied to me with:
    > I guess you're right Chris.

But JerzDevl2000 can speak up if I'm misrepresenting.

-----

dbhstockton wrote:
    > ...I do wish the new Hearst building could be an wholly independant architectural statement...
    > ...preserving the facade is a tactic that helped with the NIMBY's.

DominicanoNYC:
    > Maybe they should have demolished the building on which their building it on.

--------

My god! You people have completely lost your minds!

If there is anyone who is missing the point here.

The Hearst building was originally designed to have a tower on top. Then there was this thing called the depression. The money was never there. It has been a plan for about 70 years to build a tower on top of the Hearst platform. One of the reasons Foster got the commission was his past experience integrating a modern structure atop and older work, the German Reichstag. With those credentials, that is EXACTLY what he was hired to do!!!

Before:

Talk about missing the point.

(Edited by chris at 7:31 pm on Jan. 21, 2003)

lol, i feel the project deserves more credit than it gets

I also think more about the looks of the building rater than teh height. I have to admit that before I did think more about height rather than the apperance of a building, but after reading some books on architecture I realized that buildings are more than just height.

Page 2 of 55 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast